Oxegen 2014

Guest Mokes

What happened to it?! Is it dead? I can't really find any news about it, it just seems to have vanished quietly.

2010 & 2011 (with the exception of BEP as a main stage headline in 2011) were great line ups! They took a year off in 2012 and came back with the worst line-up of all time, but was that enough to kill the festival? It did pull quite a savage crowd but surely it could still work if they went back to having proper bands play instead of all the all out electro crap they went with in 2013.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed 2010.

Edited by Mokes

I think you mean Oxegen 2013. Its basically the Pheonix Park gigs in Dublin that occur around the July period normally alloted to Oxegen, MCD who ran Oxegen seem to make better money it appears by having 3 or 4 standalone gigs pulling in some of the T in the Park acts there. There was a smaller Oxegen last year which focused more on dance and hip hop acts, but they made a loss of about 10,000 tickets so probably just not viable. MCD seem to be more about pushing Longtitude, a 3 single days non camping festival at Marley Park loosely based on some of the line up from the Latitude festival in England.

Here is the boards.ie thread for Pheonix Park, there doesn't seem to be any announcements made as yet. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057086670

Edited by pothead pixie

It's a shame because all the Irish people I met there in 2010 loved it and went every year, they were really proud of it. Apart from the weather it was a great festival and set up. I just got a visa to go work over in Ireland for 12 months and I was hoping to Volunteer for it.

Last years catastrophic sales figures wouldn't entice them to run it again in a rush, even if they are solely aiming for EDM material. Marlay Park has taken over this year, more money in one-day gigs!

Edited by Mokes

They did it to themselves though, When I went the line up was Eminem, Jay Z, Arcade Fire, Muse, Kasabain, Faithless, Florence, Mumford, Calvin, Dizzee, Biffy Clyro, the Black Eyed Peas and 100 other great artists. 2011 was really solid too, by that point they had won a couple of awards of best festival in Europe and it was great. Then they came back with a line up who's headliners were like 30 bands down the list from a few years before hand and thought it would do well.... Idiots

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to it?! Is it dead? I can't really find any news about it, it just seems to have vanished quietly.

2010 & 2011 (with the exception of BEP as a main stage headline in 2011) were great line ups! They took a year off in 2012 and came back with the worst line-up of all time, but was that enough to kill the festival? It did pull quite a savage crowd but surely it could still work if they went back to having proper bands play instead of all the all out electro crap they went with in 2013.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed 2010.

That line up actually looks amazing. I'm almost 100% sure it's fake but Supergrass, Phoenix, Miles Kane, The Vaccines, Eels, Coronas, Paolo Nutini, The Strokes, Linkin Park, The Dandy Warholes and Blink sounds amazing. I hope it goes ahead!

It has to be total BS, None of the artists have it in their tour calendars on their individual websites. MCD have nothing about it on their calender either. They have all the Marlay Park things and everything else they're promoting but nothing about their flagship festival?! The Oxegen website is completely unchanged from the 2013 festival. If they were going to launch a new one they would have at least deleted the old one.

The facebook page is elaborate and convincing, but surely it is a hoax.