royal blood

PetePie

My tuppence worth:

I've been looking forward to this album and asking anyone who I think may like them "have you heard Royal Blood" since I heard the EP. Explaining that they're "like White Stripes but with a bass guitar and a decent drummer". I've even considered buying a cheap bass guitar after listening to them. Which is something Geddy Lee never made me feel like doing. Which is saying something.

I'm not disappointed with the album.

But. I have a nagging feeling in the back of my head along the lines of: This sounds a bit familiar in a Noel "haven't I heard that lick/melody somewhere else before but I can't quite place it" Gallagher.type of way?. Is this just me?

My tuppence worth:

I've been looking forward to this album and asking anyone who I think may like them "have you heard Royal Blood" since I heard the EP. Explaining that they're "like White Stripes but with a bass guitar and a decent drummer". I've even considered buying a cheap bass guitar after listening to them. Which is something Geddy Lee never made me feel like doing. Which is saying something.

I'm not disappointed with the album.

But. I have a nagging feeling in the back of my head along the lines of: This sounds a bit familiar in a Noel "haven't I heard that lick/melody somewhere else before but I can't quite place it" Gallagher.type of way?. Is this just me?

I get what you mean, probably because Blues Rock is by nature rather derivative of all the blues rock that preceeds it. They as a band aren't very bluesy but the riffs certainly are

Yup. And the music suffers.

But then I think all rock'n'roll music is improved by a factor of about 1000 if there's a piano player in the band.

Woooooaaaaaahhh now, CG, hold on, that way lies Jools 'every piece of music ever wriiten would be improved with a bit of boogie-woogie piano' Holland.

I wouldn't compare Drenge as they're still on their debut and who knows what they'll do but The Black Keys added personnel and Jack White was playing pianos and stuff from the start. The difference between those and Royal Blood though is they all get to play with the high end whereas Mike (I thought he was called Tom before, oops) is stuck to bass riffing and can't really crack out the acoustic for a number.

From what little I know of them, I think the drummer was the guitarist in the original three piece they had and swapped to drums when the original drummer left. If that's right, there is perhaps a bit more sway for them to change things around in the future if they need to. Many bands employ at least one extra member when they play live, something that could happen with Royal Blood.

For now though, they make a bloody marvelous racket, stick with it I say. I was mightily inpressed with them at Glastonbury and will be shelling out on the album next week.

6music played the most recent dfa1979 release followed by that royal blood song they've been plugging for ages. although their new track isn't a patch on YAWIAM, i think the dfa track is still so much better considering it's the same band geometry. whats the royal blood album like? heard from a friend that the recent single (figure it out?) is one of the better songs so pretty tentative to try it. don't see them being any bigger than JP headline next year though - will be surprised if even that.

Apparently one of the biggest crowds the NME stage at Reading has ever seen so if it's the same at Leeds tomorrow then that's a clean sweep of packing out tents at every UK festival they've done this summer. No. 1 album next Sunday and that's not bad going at all.

On BBC 3 at the moment.

I don't think it'll be Academy's just yet, maybe Leeds Met sized venues? Although I reckon I may be proven wrong, announcement this week surely?

If the album sells well this week, which I'm sure it will, then I'd be shocked if they played anything smaller than academies. They've packed out all the festival shows they've played and their tour of smaller venues earlier this year sold out very fast, and will probably have a high charting debut album.