Electric Picnic 2014

Guest A-Rob

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Holden will be ace in the rave in the woods, I also hope for some of the following Nina Kraviz, Marcel Dettman, Andrew Weathrall, John Talabot, Ben Ufo, Paul Woolford

I don't like the increase in capacity, I think at 35K was the right amount for the festival as increasing people will mean the stages getting more busy and overcrowding

i know what you mean, i wouldn't mind it as much if some of the money raised from the extra capacity goes back into the festival?? Line up, facilities whatever just give some back lol :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an amazing week anyway I was down the Sunday before to do the advance volunteering, who I saw.

Giro

Foals

Sunil Sharpe

Stranglers

The Frank and Walters

Camille O'Sullivan

London Grammar (The bit I caught)

Portishead (Unbelievable)

Chic

Bicep

Joy Orbison

The Wailers (Played mostly all the Bob Marley classics)

Jenny Lewis

Mikey Joyride Soro

Beck (Outstanding)

Outkast (Pretty amazing)

Boddika.

Jaysis Ok! Lol

My first time to EP and having been to Longitude for the past two years which is an FR one as well I wasn't expecting it to be quite as awesome.

Got set up in Oscar Wilde and once the tent was set up the sun came out and stayed out for the weekend! Result.

Then hit the Salty Dog for a few drinks and a boogie before we went through to the Arena.

Loved Salty Dog, one of my fav stages.

Then we went through to the arena and I have to say I was fairly gobsmacked. It was like a mini Glasto although the search for booze on the way in slightly took away from that feeling.

Managed to lose all my friends for most of Friday night but went and watched Foals who were freaking awesome and spent most of the night wandering around talking to random people making best friends with strangers for an hour then wandering off again.

Friendliest crowd ever and walked arounf with a smile on my face for the weekend.

Then headed back to Salty for Booka Brass Band who smashed it. Found one of my friends but turned around and had lost them again due to it being packed out for BBB.

Then mosied over to B&S for Young Fathers who I'd listened to a little bit on youtube. Loved them and would love to see them again.

Went for a wander around site then back to the tent.

Loved all the installations and it had a lovely feel to it. Only negative for me would be the fun fair which I felt added nothing and it felt really tacky especially with it being so close to the B&S area. Really hope they get rid of it and bring back Arcadia.

Anyway, bands I saw and totally loved were

Blondie (surprised me after not being too impressed at Glasto)

Sinead O Connor blew me away.

Watched a bit of Jenny Lewis then skipped over to watch Ham Sandwich and glad I did, great gig.

Chic - never seen them before, danced my knackered arse off.

Beck - now was dying to see him but even so he blew me away. Didn't really watch him cos I was two busy dancing.

Portishead - totally smashed it, wasn't sure what to expect having heard varying reports on their live gig. Machine Gun. WOW

Outkast were brilliant as well, we were right up the front and had boogie room but as soon Mrs Jackson came on people came running up to the front and we got squished. So stayed for Hey Ya then moved.

London Grammar - WOW just WOW!

St Vincent - little disappointed in her, she was my top 3 must see and it felt a little bit meh for me.

Fantastic weekend, toilets weren't that bad all weekend which has always been my fear of going to festivals in the past. Lots of laughs, I'm sure I've forgotten stuff, oh yeah found Rave in the woods which we checked out but didn't stay too long.

Anyway in a nutshell, smile on my face all weekend, and tickets already sorted for next year and can't wait!

ETA- a special mention to the awesome orc samba band in B&S area on the saturday. Great craic.

Edited by H.M.V

Yeh my Picnic was pretty amazing and my 9th one this year, didn't see much on the Friday now as I was trying to flog a ticket which was harder than I thought, got to see a bit of the Foals who were pretty good, wandered about Body & Soul mainly which is a kind of trippers wonderland and up to Rave in the Woods for a bit of Dublin DJ Sunil Sharpe.

Saturday was a bit more active for me, Stradbally the town has a number of cafes so ate a wee bit cheaper in town, gigs for the day started with the Stranglers who were pretty good and nostalgic, wandered about Green Crafts and Mindfield for a bit so much happening around there. Hung about the Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow tent which was beautifully quirky, caught a bit of the Cork act The Frank and Walters and later on the incredible Camille O'Sullivan. Caught a wee bit of London Grammar outside the tent as it was absolutely rammed in there.

Caught all of Portishead who were simply unbelievable, a sound and visual feast, Dummy being one of my favourites so lots of tracks from that and Machine Gun from Third was mind blowing. Tripping about Body & Soul for about forty minutes then until We're lost in music attracted me back to the main stage to join the Chic party, having never actually saw them live before out of all the opportunities of getting to see them live in Ireland which was a lot. I didn't regret it one bit, I came at a perfect time to find them doing stuff from their second and third albums which is the period I like best about Chic, this captures the atmosphere for me like no other video clip of Chic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jVyNEAY50.

Got a bit of Belfast electronic act after that called Bicep at the Little Big Tent who were unreal and off to the Rave in the Woods after that for Joy Orbison who was playing some really really nice soulful house.

The Wailers kicked off my Sunday nicely, Marley classics in the sunshine, you couldn't have asked for more in the traditional reggae spot. Caught a bit of Jenny Lewis, Mikey Joyride Soro in the Upstage at Body & Soul and then a bit of Trenchtown actually a fairly reggae orientated day so far. Beck next who was unreal and Outkast who surprised me, a very good entertaining rap act who can actually cut it live, shame about the audience though some folk were utter tubes in that crowd and it must have been the biggest main stage audience at EP ever. Chilled in Body & Soul with some quality friends and off to Bodikka at Rave in the Woods for the final party. Will be back for my tenth next year.

HMV you should try the Body & Soul festival next year instead of Longitude, I heard Longitude was a bit messier this year with more of a younger crowd than usual, Body & Soul festival has an amazing vibe.

I was nearly going to go to B&S but its the week before Glastonbury so I think you can guess which one I chose. In the tragic event I don't get tickets it would deffo be my back up plan.

Longitude was horrific, left early on the Sunday and missed Massive Attack. Streaky tans, short shorts and scobes everywhere. Wont be going again next year, will head to Knockanstockan instead.

Sorry for my late review, but went to Holland for a holiday after the festival than loads of work to catch up!

This was my second picnic, it was better experience then my first one. Top weekend from start to finish

Friday

We arrived on the festival site at around 5ish, like last year we stayed at the boutique camping (festihuts). My first aim was to buy wellies because it was still raining at that time, but I didn't managed to find any my size but I was lucky because a few hours later the sun came out and it stayed dry for the whole wkend :)

The highlight of Friday night for me was Foals, really enjoyed their set and with

their spectacular light show. Being a huge LCD soundsystem fan, I decided to go catch a bit of James Murphy DJ set before the Pet shop boys. The electric tent was rockin, really great atmosphere during James Murphy set in fact I ended up staying till he finished and ended up missing the Pet shop boys.

Saturday

We started saturday morning/afternoon, at the body and soul arena. Really like that area, both it's beautiful desing and positive vibes it send. Musicwise I catched Metronomy, a bit of Paolo Nutini and London Grammer.

But the highlight of Saturday was defo Portishead, I am huge fan of the band so was looking forward for their set and boy I was not dissapointed really enjoyed and how they built their set finishing off with heavy industrial sounds of We Carry On

After Portishead I went to see SBTRK, wasn't really impressed by them in fact after about 30mins into their we left and took the long walk for the Rave in the Woods. Now this is one my favorite's areas of the festival, when we arrive it was already pumping but by the time Joy Orbison hit the decks it was packed in fact I think I never witnessed so many people at the Rave in the woods. Joy set was stellar, really enjoyed how he was switching between house, techno and breaks. When he finished at 4am, I was still hungry for more and wished he continued for another 2 hours

Sunday

Waking up to glorious sun, was amazing on sunday. Even tough I was knackered from the previous night, I went near the main stage to catch a bit of the wailers. After that went to mindfield for the first time, like that area as well.

Later in the afternoon I catced Stephen Malkmus, enjoyed his set but would have loved if included a pavement song or two.

Back in the main stage, Beck was astonsing!! For me it was the performance of the weekend, what a performer!! We then head back to the electric arena, was front row for Mogwai really good and LOUD set.

We finished Sunday night at the rave in the woods, again really great atmoshpere and music to close off one amazing weekend.