Metallica 2014

JamesT977

I saw metallica in 1985 with the late cliff burton... never did I think a band like this would feature at glastonbury... Although never did I think the eagles would headline, and at the same time! Its like 'heaven and hell' take your pick...

I can imagine it now - ride the lightening sound mashing with pretty maids all in a row...

If it does happen i'm torn..Eagles are my heros on vinyl - and don henley and joe walsh in particular have a great back catalogue... Although I've seen them twice - they didn't spark, and the crowd were lackluster apart from when they do a hit or joe walsh does his party piece. Metallica on the otherhand - it will be interesting to see how they go down with a mixed crowd.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just waiting for "Glastonbury this will be our last song, ARE. YOU. READYYYY." *Breaks into Enter Sandman riff*

I really think they should open with a great song though, like The Stones chose Jumpin' Jack Flash. Metallica should be coming on stage to Ecstacy of Gold followed by For Whom The Bell Tolls or Master of Puppets.

I'm just waiting for "Glastonbury this will be our last song, ARE. YOU. READYYYY." *Breaks into Enter Sandman riff*

I really think they should open with a great song though, like The Stones chose Jumpin' Jack Flash. Metallica should be coming on stage to Ecstacy of Gold followed by For Whom The Bell Tolls or Master of Puppets.

Creeping Death. they should always come on with Creeping Death. although i get what you mean; not their usual crowd so might need to open with something instant to grab people's attention

on another note, i'm quite interested to see the set lists for these 'Metallica By Request' shows. hopefully people aren't dumbarses and vote for the likes of Enter Sandman etc - would like to see some really lesser known songs in there (or, for the hilarity, St Anger in its entirety)

Creeping Death. they should always come on with Creeping Death. although i get what you mean; not their usual crowd so might need to open with something instant to grab people's attention

on another note, i'm quite interested to see the set lists for these 'Metallica By Request' shows. hopefully people aren't dumbarses and vote for the likes of Enter Sandman etc - would like to see some really lesser known songs in there (or, for the hilarity, St Anger in its entirety)

I had a look at the voting for most of the by request ones and strangely enough some of the lower songs that will be in the sets are varied from gig to gig. I thought it would just be a complete greatest hits made by fans. Sonisphere had Whiskey in the Jar in it if i remember correctly.

That'd be next level trolling right there

Load followed by Reload and a couple of songs from Lulu in tribute to Lou Reed. That would be hilarious although there is a couple of good songs in there somewhere it would be a hilarious set.

sorry why is it now SR ? and what happened about sonisphere exclusive sorry out of loop

Neil believes they might be playing the Saturday not healining the Pyramid but on the Other stage.

The exclusive thing can be easily fit to still apply to Sonisphere like its their only uk show by request where the fans pick the set. At Glastonbury its likely they will choose the songs they want to play.

I had a look at the voting for most of the by request ones and strangely enough some of the lower songs that will be in the sets are varied from gig to gig. I thought it would just be a complete greatest hits made by fans. Sonisphere had Whiskey in the Jar in it if i remember correctly.

just had a look at a few of the set lists. the Sonisphere one is awful. well… not awful, but pretty much identical to the type of set they've been playing for the last ten years. some odd choices in the other ones (St Anger? really!?) but mostly they stick to the regular songs with one or two lesser known songs which is quite disappointing (although i suppose if you're gong to a Metallica show you'd be pretty bummed if they didn't play Mater Of Puppets and the like)

just had a look at a few of the set lists. the Sonisphere one is awful. well… not awful, but pretty much identical to the type of set they've been playing for the last ten years. some odd choices in the other ones (St Anger? really!?) but mostly they stick to the regular songs with one or two lesser known songs which is quite disappointing (although i suppose if you're gong to a Metallica show you'd be pretty bummed if they didn't play Mater Of Puppets and the like)

Really? St. Anger! Thats a bit of a strange choice for any given place. This is the setlist they played when i went to see them in 2009. I was blessed with Trapped Under Ice! 5th time they ever played it live. If we got something different from this removing the Death Magnetic songs maybe keeping The Day That Never Comes or All Nightmare Long.

i see on the Helsinki setlist that The Frayed Ends Of Sanity is number one which is pretty awesome as it's never been played live before (and Dyer's Eve is two which i believe has only be played a couple of times). if only the rest of the set lists had a bit of variety. looks like Sonisphere is gonna essentially get a greatest hits set, i.e. what it would've got if they hadn't done it as a 'By Request' show. wasted opportunity

i see on the Helsinki setlist that The Frayed Ends Of Sanity is number one which is pretty awesome as it's never been played live before (and Dyer's Eve is two which i believe has only be played a couple of times). if only the rest of the set lists had a bit of variety. looks like Sonisphere is gonna essentially get a greatest hits set, i.e. what it would've got if they hadn't done it as a 'By Request' show. wasted opportunity

The Frayed Ends of Sanity would be great but such a very unlikely choice if anything from And Justice For All is played it'll be Blackened and One thats it probably. Would love to hear The Unforgiven and Wherever I May Roam from The Black Album.

sorry why is it now SR ? and what happened about sonisphere exclusive sorry out of loop

They've never been advertised as an exclusive, just that it's their only UK concert/festival appearance. Either the organisers are mistaken/have been misled, are lying and will claim that as far as they knew it was true at the time of going to press or they're referring to the Metallica By Request thing.

Edited by mrtourette

Glastonbury's a weird one when it comes to other festivals exclusives. sure, technically if a festival announces an act as an exclusive, that's how it should be, but because Glastonbury doesn't (usually) announce the lineup before all tickets are sold, it's not like it's stealing customers away from festivals - not like people with Sonisphere tickets are gonna sell them on and buy Glasto tickets instead

They've never been advertised as an exclusive, just that it's their only UK concert/festival appearance. Either the organisers are mistaken/have been misled, are lying and will claim that as far as they knew it was true at the time of going to press or they're referring to the Metallica By Request thing.

You see, I don't think they can say something to do with ...By Request as they advertised it as the only UK shows Metallica and Iron Maiden will play. No clever wordplay, just that. So either they'll claim they knew nothing or probably not react to the news as they were lying all along, or Metallica won't play Glastonbury of course.

The way I read it is that Soni advertised Metallica with... Their only uk concerts of 2014... And where the Knebworth events can be classed as concerts if they want Glastonbury us definitely a festival.

They've been quoted as both their only UK concert and their only UK festival appearance on the Soni website. I'm thinking that if they were specifically booked to an exclusive contract they'd have said that, there's a subtle but significant (if that's possible) difference between 'exclusive' and 'only concert/festival'. This seems like it's more coincidence that it's their only show (or Soni think it's their only show) and they're either milking it until the other one is announced or they don't know another one is coming.

You see, I don't think they can say something to do with ...By Request as they advertised it as the only UK shows Metallica and Iron Maiden will play. No clever wordplay, just that. So either they'll claim they knew nothing or probably not react to the news as they were lying all along, or Metallica won't play Glastonbury of course.

Absolutely, I was just thinking of ways they could back out of their 'only concert/festival appearance' claim if it turned out not to be true. If they really ended up with egg on their face I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it.