Metallica 2014

JamesT977

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find the AC/DC thread but Neil didn't you say they tried for them but got a firm no?

I said I'd thought that's what had happened, off the back of something sent to me at the end of the summer, and me joining up some dots.

It turns out I invented those dots, cos I now know for certain that there was no approach to AC/DC.

on what basis are we saying it's definitely metallica, the contractual reasons would fit with kanye west and RHCP (both of which i would have thought would go down better than metallica, despite what these forums would suggest), just curious as it seems a very rock heavy line up with metallica and I'm not sure if they're such certainty as everyone seems to think... I've probably missed some crucial information or something? this is probably because i don't like metallica hahaha!

on what basis are we saying it's definitely metallica, the contractual reasons would fit with kanye west and RHCP (both of which i would have thought would go down better than metallica, despite what these forums would suggest), just curious as it seems a very rock heavy line up with metallica and I'm not sure if they're such certainty as everyone seems to think... I've probably missed some crucial information or something? this is probably because i don't like metallica hahaha!

I know for certain it's not Kanye.

I know for certain it's not RHCP.

I know for certain it's Metallica.

What I can't reveal is exactly how I know these things.

Does that do you? :)

It's possible that another act might end up in the Saturday Pyramid headline slot (it'll be Prince if it happens, but it's unlikely. I have those words [almost verbatim] direct from Emily's lips), but the "contractual reasons" act that Emily has talked about is Metallica.

(I'd better just point out that I've NOT had that about Metallica from Emily's lips - she was being exceedingly good at not saying who, or even being led to suggest it was them).

Edited by eFestivals

it's all gone quiet on the rumour front recently, but I've no reason to think that anything has changed or that there's been wrong assumptions (because I still do not have that 'nailed-on' bit of info which would give me absolute certainty).

if you get it will you tell us?

do you expect them to announce Metallica after the resale or maybe later?

if you get it will you tell us?

do you expect them to announce Metallica after the resale or maybe later?

I'm happy to pass on what I know (with all the usual caveats).

Emily said "May", so I presume there's a set date in May when it's allowed to be announced.

My initial assumption was 8 weeks before, which from gate opening would be 30th April and for day-of-show would be 3rd May - so it might be 3rd of May.

But I also saw somewhere (here, I think) a reasonably-put suggestion of 6 weeks which would put it around 14th May.

Given that any last small ticket-sale is likely to be just-before 14th May (due to the last refunds date), and ticket sales are often an important part of the "contractual reasons" mix, my best-guess right now would be one of 14/15/16th May.

I've been very surprised at the relitively high level of support for the idea that Metallica will headline. If you'd asked me a year ago I'd have though there would be me and 27 other 40 something year old blokes stood at the front of the Pyramid, happily nodding along while the rest of the field was deserted.

But both here and in real life, there has been a much more positive reaction than I would ever have suspected. Even if a lot of it has been along the lines of "I'll go along and have a look just to see what it's like".

I'm now of the opinion they would draw quite a hefty crowd.

Edited to add a "Hoo Yeah!!"

Edited by Gnomicide

i asked my metallica fan friend if/what she thought they'd do to maybe soften it a bit for the casual punter (cos you know lars will want to win the crowd over) and she wondered about having maybe a string section for certain songs. anyone know if they've done owt like that of late?

You mean like the 'S and M' album? That would be great. Although someone here mentioned that apparently the lead in time to organise all that was absolutely ages, so might be difficult to fit in at (relatively) short notice