Realistic wishlist/predictions 2014

Guest WM Hall

So now that many of the other festivals that appeal to the EOTR crowd (Green Man, Latitude, Bestival, Primavera) have made announcements, that cancels out a few bands and leaves a few others out in the open...

For example, Beirut and NMH clearly won't be headlining because they're at Green Man, and it seemed that Beck wouldn't because of Bestival, but actually a combination of the fact that Beck is only playing the Thursday of Bestival and is also a SR for EOTR, I'm suspecting things... Slowdive are at Latitude and Primavera, but headlining neither. That makes me wonder if they're more apt for EOTR headlining...

Anyway, here's my more realistic predictions, with reasons:

Headliners from:

Beck (as above, SR for EOTR on this site, and playing the Thursday of Bestival which isn't technically 'headlining')

Slowdive (newly reformed, EOTR appeal, playing lower down at Latitude)

Nick Cave (not announced for any other UK festivals, fits EOTR fan base)

The Flaming Lips (perfect for EOTR yet somehow have never played. Less big than they were, and currently unannounced for any other UK festivals...)

Dirty Projectors (time to take the step up like Beach House and Grizzly Bear?)

Tame Impala (big enough, but not too big. Also playing Latitude)

Fleet Foxes (dropped off the scene a bit, EOTR could be a comeback?)

Bill Callahan (would he be a headliner? or too 'small'?)

Volcano Choir (EOTR are fans of Bon Iver, and seeing as he's taking a break...)

Broken Social Scene (kind of reformed. Would be very special)

Yo La Tengo (why not? Headlined twice before, would be a safe bet)

Aztec Camera (my outside bet... played a few sold out gigs this year at decent sized venues, would be great headliners)

Edited by WM Hall

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it being someone like a BSS. It makes you wonder if the announcement has been so delayed because they've tied up a "reformed" band and can't make that announcement yet or something. I'd be thrilled with that.

As for my realistic wishlist, I agree with Nick Cave, Flaming Lips and Volcano Choir. Could see any of them doing it. Also, Wild Beasts might have just hit that headliner status now.

Lower down the bill, any of these will please me:

Future Islands

Octopus Project

Asgeir

Courtney Barnett

Waxahatchee

Destroyer

Hospitality

I Break Horses (or are they in the big leagues now?)

James Vincent McMorrow

The Mary Onettes

Moonface

New Mendicants

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra

I can see it being someone like a BSS. It makes you wonder if the announcement has been so delayed because they've tied up a "reformed" band and can't make that announcement yet or something. I'd be thrilled with that.

As for my realistic wishlist, I agree with Nick Cave, Flaming Lips and Volcano Choir. Could see any of them doing it. Also, Wild Beasts might have just hit that headliner status now.

Lower down the bill, any of these will please me:

Future Islands

Octopus Project

Asgeir

Courtney Barnett

Waxahatchee

Destroyer

Hospitality

I Break Horses (or are they in the big leagues now?)

James Vincent McMorrow

The Mary Onettes

Moonface

New Mendicants

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra

Flaming Lips are playing Iceland Airwaves on 11th September and they did Bestival last year so if they're over around then they'd either be at EOTR or Festival No.6. I'd have said Wild Beasts had they not played Woods as second headliner just two years ago.

Possibles: Stephen Malkmus second from top of Woods, Horrors as Garden headliners (they've got a new album soon, if they've been forgiven for their no-show yet), Fuck Buttons and Liars for noise, Jon Hopkins if he does festivals solo, most of that Heavenly Records-and-associates Temples/Wytches/Telegram/Fat White Family set, Stornoway because they seem to be playing everywhere.