Truck Festival 2014

Guest pie_and_a_pint

I've just booked tickets for my first year at Truck. Coming down from up North. I'm a regular at Kendal Calling. Is it the same kind of atmosphere? What should I be expecting?

Hello chap. I'm also a regular at Kendal and did Truck for the first time last year. You clearly have impeccable taste!

Atmosphere is a bit more restrained at Truck. Lots more families. Loads of space in the arena, and found after about 8pm crowd thinned even more as the locals took their kids room (walked straight to the front for the Spiritualized headline set). Plus capacity is much lower (3k compared to Kendals 15k I think). Everybody was really friendly, proper nice crowd.

Absolutely loved Truck, just behind Kendal as the best festival I've been to. Basically got back home after and as booked the 2014 tickets as soon as they went on sale.

Some nice little touches like a local record shop having a stall flogging cd's by bands who are playing over the weekend.

You can also take your own food and booze into the arena. Not as much choice of food stalls as Kendal but what they've got is quality and reasonably priced. Didn't queue once for a toilet or a beer all weekend (always a bonus).

Plenty of room in the campsite. Parking is about a 5 minute walk from campsite so no major trek.

You won't be disappointed!

Edited by Flaminglippy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm heading down with the girlfriend so certainly don't mind a more relaxed atmosphere. Never been to a festival so small though and if it does thin out in the evening I'm just hoping theres enough of an atmosphere to enjoy the later acts.

But looking at last years site maps there certainly seems to be enough to keep busy with during the day if the weather's right.

Chose it partly for the fact you can have your own food and drink. I'll certainly investigate the real ale tent and see what foods on offer but I need to keep costs down. The Tibetan food stall at KC a fortnight later wont pay for itself.

Edited by andy85

I'm heading down with the girlfriend so certainly don't mind a more relaxed atmosphere. Never been to a festival so small though and if it does thin out in the evening I'm just hoping theres enough of an atmosphere to enjoy the later acts. But looking at last years site maps there certainly seems to be enough to keep busy with during the day if the weather's right. Chose it partly for the fact you can have your own food and drink. I'll certainly investigate the real ale tent and see what foods on offer but I need to keep costs down. The Tibetan food stall at KC a fortnight later wont pay for itself.

Yeah, sorry...probably gave the wrong impression. Definitely a good atmosphere, its relaxed but not boring. Imagine it will be a decent mosh pit for the Cribs.

Yeah...theres loads of little stages with decent stuff on. 'The Barn' for example has Andrew WK in it this year. Its about the same size as Time Peaks at Kendal (it did smell quite heavily of cowshit though)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know of a cheap hotel / B&B between birmingham and the festival. I'm travelling down from Cumbria so ideally I'd like to set off after work on Thursday and get most the driving done. That way I can get there at a reasonable time on the Friday without setting off in the very early hours.

Can't seem to find anything cheap south of Birmingham though. Anything would do me. Travelodge / Days Inn etc. Just somewhere to get a bit of kip.

Edited by andy85

Can't seem to find anything cheap south of Birmingham though.

Welcome to the South :P

The closest hotel to the festival is the premier inn at Didcot on the A34, probably about 10 minutes drive from the site. Coming out at £49 (pre-pay, no refund rate).

What route are you taking? Most crappy travelodges or pemier inns based at motoway services should offer a decent price on a Thursday night.

Edited by mrtourette

Actually spoke to soon, Travelodge at Oxord Peartree is £36 and Bicester is £31 (again both pre-pay no refund offers). Bicester is a bit further north from Oxford but both should be within an hours drive of the site and easy to get to depending on your route.

Actually spoke to soon, Travelodge at Oxord Peartree is £36 and Bicester is £31 (again both pre-pay no refund offers). Bicester is a bit further north from Oxford but both should be within an hours drive of the site and easy to get to depending on your route.

I'm getting £90 and £56 respectively for the Thursday night. I might just end up driving from the girlfriend's (Manchester area) via the M6 Toll to avoid the worst of the traffic in the morning.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking to stay somewhere the night before google 'hotels in Abingdon' plenty of options and is only 15 min drive from the site.

That's the town I live in, friendly little market down with lots of pubs with decent food and real ales (we have CAMRA all over hte place!) to get stuck into, PM me if you want any specific suggestions. :)

The Twilight Sad, I saw them on Friday, incredible show. So that's the The Twilight Sad, The Cribs and Los Campesinos! playing this festival, my 3 favorite bands, might have to give it a go...

Looks like Los Campesinos! and Cribs clash. Wounder!

Went last year for the first time...can't recommend it highly enough mate. Worth every penny. Amazing festival. You can even take your own booze and food in the arena so you can save a fortune (although the beer and food is very reasonably priced for a festival)

The people were sound as. Got chatting to a bloke who delivers crickets and bugs to pet shops for a living...how often can you say that??

:lol:

The Barn pretty much runs alongside the Market stage with timings.

I know.

I've figured it out myself now though. Julio Bashmore and Jaguar Skills are both late night, rather than just the former. So BRS are getting a [stage] headline length slot because it will be at stage headliner time because they are headlining the stage and not earlier.

Edited by dentalplan

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking to stay somewhere the night before google 'hotels in Abingdon' plenty of options and is only 15 min drive from the site.

That's the town I live in, friendly little market down with lots of pubs with decent food and real ales (we have CAMRA all over hte place!) to get stuck into, PM me if you want any specific suggestions. :)

I used to work in Abingdon, or as me and my mates knew it "Scabingdon". A lot of it is a right shitehole, and there's a fair amount of knobbish squaddies that go out there.

There is a few nice pubs though. None of them particularly special but some decent.