The Space To Put Predictions And Then Provide Feedback Or Bold Bands If You Want To Show People Who You Like Thread

The 1975 sold out the bulk, if not all, of their arena tour and that was after doing 4 nights in each of Manchester Apollo and Glasgow O2 Academy and 5 nights at Brixton earlier in the year. They’re huge and as dental says will easily be big enough to headline on their own next time they play.

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Were they looking like headlining? Damn I had always written them off like Slaves/Sherlocks/Cabbage etc. as just a phase lmao

I would say Royal Blood do, appeal with people who like heavier rock and alt rock, can keep the crowd hyped etc.

In my experience, 1975 are very marmite. People either love their style or think its way too poppy & downtempo. I guess it's more popular with the whole teenage girls, just out of GCSE demo that R&L likes targetting?

Really? lmao I am so out of touch then aha.

What? No they weren't looking like headlining. I said they were looking like heading to where TDCC are at now, the type of band you described in the post I quoted.

And man you take genres and sub-genres way too rigidly and seriously. Fact is both Royal Blood and The 1975 are huge, mainstream bands who appeal to a massive range of people, including actual music fans who attend festivals and more casual listeners who'll just hear their songs on the radio or whatever. The 1975 also seem to have a very fervent fanbase which is obviously huge in terms of selling tickets.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

you've got the strongest undercard on the strongest day and the weakest undercard on the weakest day

Wasn't that how it panned out last year?

But yeah Foster the People are more likely to be third down NME nowadays. I'd be all up in that Royal Blood day for the NME top two, however unlikely them playing actually is. I feel like Gambino would be at Wireless if FR could get him.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

The 1975 sold out the bulk, if not all, of their arena tour and that was after doing 4 nights in each of Manchester Apollo and Glasgow O2 Academy and 5 nights at Brixton earlier in the year. They’re huge and as dental says will easily be big enough to headline on their own next time they play.

Just to be clear I agree with Will about headlining alone being more about what the festival can do rather than bands not meeting certain criteria, but yeah The 1975 are the band most nailed on to be a proper headline act that I've seen in a long time. I think they're bigger than Foals and Royal Blood now who were obviously tipped well in advance to make the leap to headline status. 

I could see it going R+L 2019, Wembley Stadium and maybe Glasto 2020.

The 1975 are probably one of (if not the) biggest British bands to come out of this decade. They're definitely gonna be big enough to headline outright in 2019. Whether they coheadline or not will depend on their ego / if the festival want to do it that way.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What? No they weren't looking like headlining. I said they were looking like heading to where TDCC are at now, the type of band you described in the post I quoted.

And man you take genres and sub-genres way too rigidly and seriously. Fact is both Royal Blood and The 1975 are huge, mainstream bands who appeal to a massive range of people, including actual music fans who attend festivals and more casual listeners who'll just hear their songs on the radio or whatever. The 1975 also seem to have a very fervent fanbase which is obviously huge in terms of selling tickets.

I can't read ahahahaha lmfao

And sure they have a wider fanbase than general, but in my experience lots of people are more accepting of Royal Blood tracks than 1975. Agreed they have a very dedicated fanbase, as I said before I have plenty of friends who fuck with 1975 hard, but I also know lots of people who really dont care for them at all

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wasn't that how it panned out last year?

yeah but if it was as weak as that prediction there would have to be a stronger headliner than Royal Blood to make it viable.

4 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Which?

what @Mattymooz said

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just to be clear I agree with Will about headlining alone being more about what the festival can do rather than bands not meeting certain criteria, but yeah The 1975 are the band most nailed on to be a proper headline act that I've seen in a long time. I think they're bigger than Foals and Royal Blood now who were obviously tipped well in advance to make the leap to headline status

I could see it going R+L 2019, Wembley Stadium and maybe Glasto 2020.

Just to be clear I agree with this too. 1975 I could see having the biggest long time success. Royal Blood & Foals I could both see doing a Biffy if their next album aint great and start sliding down lineups. In saying that, 1975 would have a third album out by the next time they headline so idk maybe im being short sighted

Edited by Mattymooz

2 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Not sure if I made it up in my head but Music for Cars which is their next album and supposedly their last so I feel they'll go the full slog and do this.

Pretty sure the 'last album' was meant as a last of an era thing rather than The 1975's final ever studio album.

24 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Pretty sure the 'last album' was meant as a last of an era thing rather than The 1975's final ever studio album.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbh I can imagine Matt Healy saying "we'll make three albums, headline Glastonbury and then quit" but obviously not following through with it because if success and money wasn't so addictive then there wouldn't be any rock bands in their 40's or older.

I'm sure I remember him in a NME interview talking about how all the best bands best albums are always the 3rd to be released and using radio head as an example. Pretty sure he then went on to confirm music for cars would be the last for the foreseeable future, again though I'm not sure if I've got my facts right. 

30 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

what @Mattymooz said

Looking back the Sunday is quite weak could probably swap. Gambino would be an amazing coup as he didn't even tour AML here and does very little in terms of shows, my mate said he was incredible live at wireless 2015 too. Would also add a bit of exclusivity too as I doubt he'd be anywhere else in the uk at that point, very unlikely though.

52 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I'm sure I remember him in a NME interview talking about how all the best bands best albums are always the 3rd to be released and using radio head as an example. Pretty sure he then went on to confirm music for cars would be the last for the foreseeable future, again though I'm not sure if I've got my facts right. 

They have said that after this album, the 1975 would take a break and then become Drive like i do which is their old band name (however this will be a completely different entity to the 1975)  from when they grew up. They will make an album for that and in the future the 1975 will return. Im not a fan or anything... 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 19liam75 said:

They have said that after this album, the 1975 would take a break and then become Drive like i do which is their old band name (however this will be a completely different entity to the 1975)  from when they grew up. They will make an album for that and in the future the 1975 will return. Im not a fan or anything... 

"19liam75" Not a fan at all mate ;)

12 minutes ago, 19liam75 said:

As egotistic as Matty is the 1975 are well and truly incredible on record and live. Really hope that Drive has a similar sound to tracks off the first album like Sex and Girls, that'd really butter my eggroll

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Completely redone my poster. Think it's a lot more realistic now.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 18.38.55.png

Do people think an Imagine Dragons/Royal Blood co headline is more likely than an RB/Paramore one at this point? Coz that would suck ass

9 minutes ago, C14S said:

Do people think an Imagine Dragons/Royal Blood co headline is more likely than an RB/Paramore one at this point? Coz that would suck ass

I do still think Paramore are a possibility, but considering they've already coheadlined before whereas Imagine Dragons haven't makes me think ID are more likely. Imagine Dragons have been moving up the lineup over recent years and the next step would be for them to coheadline, and they're definitely in Europe around the time of R&L. I wouldn't be surprised if it's either of them, but right now I'm leaning towards Imagine Dragons.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I do still think Paramore are a possibility, but considering they've already coheadlined before whereas Imagine Dragons haven't makes me think ID are more likely. Imagine Dragons have been moving up the lineup over recent years and the next step would be for them to coheadline, and they're definitely in Europe around the time of R&L. I wouldn't be surprised if it's either of them, but right now I'm leaning towards Imagine Dragons.

Uggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

Have to say I doubt they'd have both Kygo and Silk City headline NME

In 2015 they had Rebel Sound, Deadmau5 and a closing set from Knife Party. Think it's a lot more likely than 3 indie rock bands as a lot of people have predicted.

Well my prediction for this year would be!

Royal Blood / Imagine Dragons // Travis Scott  // The Wombats 

Khalid // Nothing But Thieves 

Hannah Wants//

FOO Fighters// Stormzy // Wolf Alice 

The Vaccines // Kaleo

Gorgon city//

Kendrick Lamar // The Libertines // Vampire weekend 

Pixies // Django Django 

Jax Jones//