The Space To Put Predictions And Then Provide Feedback Or Bold Bands If You Want To Show People Who You Like Thread

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They're not that small. They've got an academy tour lined up with a few sold out dates already. Would say like 4th or NME sub but they probably won't be booked at all.

Wombats 2015 slot. unsure how big a crowd franz ferdinand would pull these days. really doubt they'd be 4th. Maybe 3rd NME.

1 hour ago, RedBalloon said:

Wombats 2015 slot. unsure how big a crowd franz ferdinand would pull these days. really doubt they'd be 4th. Maybe 3rd NME.

They were playing above Wombats at festivals this year. If they're any lower than that I don't suppose they'd play at all. Why would they when they're enough of a name to get a better billing at smaller festivals?

23 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think Franz Ferdinand are totally irrelevant to R&L in 2018. 

Maybe but so's Enter Shikari.

18 hours ago, Aech said:

I know Spotify numbers don't really mean shit but they have 2.5x the number of listeners in London than Shikari. Enter Shikari also don't have a single main stream song, to know their music you have to be a fan (and the new albums shit) whereas everyone and their Nan can recite Take Me Out. Shikari do play bigger venues on tour however, if they did play it'd have to be NME so it's dark.

You just said that you know Spotify numbers don't mean shit so why would you use Spotify numbers as an argument?

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Was popping in to say I reckon Travis Scott is quite a likely Main Stage sub, but I'm not doing a full, new prediction to incorporate that.

If we get Travis as a sub, which would be pretty great, I'm guessing we could almost rule out Stormzy/Skepta/BBK also subbing?

8 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

If we get Travis as a sub, which would be pretty great, I'm guessing we could almost rule out Stormzy/Skepta/BBK also subbing?

Almost definitely aye.

If Travis does sub, it'd obvs make most sense for him to sub Kendrick (if he is playing of course) considering they've toured together and appeal to the same crowd etc. But then as people have said, it's likely they'd try and spread out the big hip hop/rap artists across the weekend. Just think it'd be really odd to have Travis subbing Foos for example when Kendrick is headlining the same festival.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They were playing above Wombats at festivals this year. If they're any lower than that I don't suppose they'd play at all. Why would they when they're enough of a name to get a better billing at smaller festivals?

they've played most smaller festivals over the past couple years. Wombat's played under them at a lot of festivals, i can definitely see where you're coming from but Franz Ferdinand are a big pull to smaller festivals, but aren't to larger ones, it's the complete opposite for Wombats. 

Wombats were going that way but have seen a resurgence into the mainstream. Franz Ferdinand have not. They are a novelty act and therefore would probably headline the Festival Republic stage where many go if they dislike the headliner and nme headliner. 

Edit: they would probably play against Kendrick.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Maybe but so's Enter Shikari.

I am not entirely sure that is true.

Edited by RedBalloon

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Almost definitely aye.

If Travis does sub, it'd obvs make most sense for him to sub Kendrick (if he is playing of course) considering they've toured together and appeal to the same crowd etc. But then as people have said, it's likely they'd try and spread out the big hip hop/rap artists across the weekend. Just think it'd be really odd to have Travis subbing Foos for example when Kendrick is headlining the same festival.

That's what I've just been thinking about. Could he possibly sub a co-head? So technically third down but looking like a sub on a poster.

Predicting the main stage to be something along these lines:

Friday: Paramore / Royal Blood (coheadline), Wolf Alice, The Wombats, Everything Everything, Declan McKenna, Fickle Friends, Black Honey, Black Foxxes, Big Shaq (special guest opener)

Saturday: Foo Fighters, Travis Scott, All Time Low, Don Broco, Mastodon, Marmozets, Beartooth, Basement, Idles

Sunday: Kendrick Lamar, Twenty one Pilots, The Hunna, Cage the Elephant, Krept & Konan, Tonight Alive, Alien Ant Farm, Arcane Roots, Astroid Boys

Replaced Skepta with Travis Scott, and also removed Post Malone as a result as I can't imagine they'd have Kendrick, Travis and Post all on the main stage. Added Don Broco into Posts place.

Also replaced The Hunna with Vampire Weekend. Feel like Vampire Weekend could be more likely in 2019 now, with R&L gauging how well their next album does in 2018 and then placing them accordingly in 2019.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Royal Blood / Twenty One Pilots / All Time Low / The Hunna / Everything Everything / Marmozets / Alien Ant Farm / Arcane Roots / Black Honey 

Marshmello (closing set) / The Vaccines / J Hus 

The Story So Far 

Kendrick Lamar / Tame Impala / Wolf Alice / Post Malone / Nothing But Thieves / The Amazons / Declan McKenna / Fickle Friends / Big Shaq

Pixies / Cage The Elephant 

Glassjaw 

Foo Fighters / Travis Scott / The Wombats / Don Broco / Death From Above / Creeper / Tonight Alive / The Menzingers / Idles 

Friendly Fires / Jack Garratt 

Killswitch Engage

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Seems okay but why does everyone seem to agree that R+L are more eager to bump up deadbeats like The Wombats and All Time Low whereas J Hus - one of the UK’s biggest rappers who’s just had a massive 2017 - is stuck on the second stage supporting more no-marks?

I mean, I dont see All Time Low playing tbh. 

J Hus i will be suprised if he doesnt get 4th down main.

FR seem to really like the wombats so wouldnt be too suprised to see them bumped up to 3rds. They can stick Hunna 4th down on the coheadline day so they get the ego boost of the logo but dont take any space away from good acts lmao.

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, I dont see All Time Low playing tbh. 

J Hus i will be suprised if he doesnt get 4th down main.

FR seem to really like the wombats so wouldnt be too suprised to see them bumped up to 3rds. They can stick Hunna 4th down on the coheadline day so they get the ego boost of the logo but dont take any space away from good acts lmao.

Chances are they’d just be taking a space off a rubbish band anyway, and at least The Hunna are new and rubbish. I don’t really see why they’d go and put Wombats third down; their latest tour doesn’t seem to be hitting the heights of the last one, album probably won’t either as that was helped by having a long time off whereas now they’re just a run of the mill mid-sized festival act. Would sooner expect them third down at Victorious that weekend.

Just feel like they'd do what they did with tdcc with the wombats, have them headline nme then get them back to play 3rd main after. Evident FR like them with the slots they've been given over the years and despite their music being a bit cringey at times they've been really good when i've seen them live. moving to new york live is really good and the build up is insane 

6 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Just feel like they'd do what they did with tdcc with the wombats, have them headline nme then get them back to play 3rd main after. Evident FR like them with the slots they've been given over the years and despite their music being a bit cringey at times they've been really good when i've seen them live. moving to new york live is really good and the build up is insane 

So you're predicting they'll headline the NME Stage AND come back in 2019 to be high up main?

I think I'll just have to believe this when I see it. I don't see anything they're doing that merits special treatment off FR and it'd just look kinda embarrassing to have The Wombats name in prominent position on Reading's line up nowadays.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

So you're predicting they'll headline the NME Stage AND come back in 2019 to be high up main?

I think I'll just have to believe this when I see it. I don't see anything they're doing that merits special treatment off FR and it'd just look kinda embarrassing to have The Wombats name in prominent position on Reading's line up nowadays.

Don't think they'll two consecutive years but I do think they'll go straight to a high main spot in 2018 - possibly the borderline third/fourth down slot on a co headline day, enough to get a logo and enough to have us arguing about whether they were really third or fourth.

They clearly have a good relationship with LN/FR, which isn't in itself enough for them to waste a high spot on them but they wouldn't be completely out of place and LN/FR would rather take the risk on them than many other bands.

They got a huge crowd in the NME (at Leeds at least) in 2016 and not all of that crowd was there to see Twenty One Pilots.

I'm not flying a flag for them btw, just think it's inevitable.

• Upvote 1

Just now, WFD said:

Don't think they'll two consecutive years but I do think they'll go straight to a high main spot in 2018 - possibly the borderline third/fourth down slot on a co headline day, enough to get a logo and enough to have us arguing about whether they were really third or fourth.

They clearly have a good relationship with LN/FR, which isn't in itself enough for them to waste a high spot on them but they wouldn't be completely out of place and LN/FR would rather take the risk on them than many other bands.

They got a huge crowd in the NME (at Leeds at least) in 2016 and not all of that crowd was there to see Twenty One Pilots.

I'm not flying a flag for them btw, just think it's inevitable.

they are absolutely destroying it with this resurgence at the moment. I am not entirely sure where it has come from considering we probably thought they were dead and buried back in 2014/2015. 

It is quite cool to see it, and gives me faith that with a little help many decent bands can claw their way out of the impending doom that is the music industry.