Big announcement on 6 music tues breakfast show

matt2007

I was lucky enough to get Saturday tickets!

Who should I see out of James Blake and The National? I haven't had a chance to listen to The National yet but I have heard people on these forums raving about them! Any tips on best tracks/ albums to start checking out?

Jagwar Ma is going to be immense. I am already meant to be seeing them in Manchester later in the year.

Start with Boxer or High Violet for accessibility. Then move onto Alligator (their best imo) and Trouble Will Find Me (their latest)

I was lucky enough to get Saturday tickets!

Who should I see out of James Blake and The National? I haven't had a chance to listen to The National yet but I have heard people on these forums raving about them! Any tips on best tracks/ albums to start checking out?

Jagwar Ma is going to be immense. I am already meant to be seeing them in Manchester later in the year.

I don't feel I can answer this objectively.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about stage times myself (so much so that I emailed the organisers, like the geek I am - nothing yet). I really want to see Wild Beasts and The National but concerned getting a decent spot for the latter may take precedence.

Just heard back from the Beeb - apparently they won't be publishing stage times in advance "but programmes will be available on the day to purchase".

Which seems pretty tight to me!

Just heard back from the Beeb - apparently they won't be publishing stage times in advance "but programmes will be available on the day to purchase".

Which seems pretty tight to me!

That is pretty annoying. Hopefully the bands will tweet what time they're on or something. Thanks for letting us know

I'm hoping that there will be a sign up somewhere with stage times, as there often is for gigs.

Anyway, because I'm a The National obsessive, I went back to them and asked how long they would be on for and got the answer "just over 60 mins", which is less than I was hoping for in a headline slot. I suppose it is good value for money as a festival still but most of the other bands on the Saturday are shit so was hoping The National would be on for 90 minutes at least.

BST looks ever more tempting...

I'm hoping that there will be a sign up somewhere with stage times, as there often is for gigs.

Anyway, because I'm a The National obsessive, I went back to them and asked how long they would be on for and got the answer "just over 60 mins", which is less than I was hoping for in a headline slot. I suppose it is good value for money as a festival still but most of the other bands on the Saturday are shit so was hoping The National would be on for 90 minutes at least.

BST looks ever more tempting...

Noo I was hoping for 90 mins at least too! I shouldn't have watched that Sydney show, got me so excited. To think we'll only get half of that saddens me.

And yeah, I was worrying about Wild Beasts too. I love them but was worrying they might run into The National, but with The National now probably only doing the same length as James Blake on the 2nd stage, it doesn't look like they will, so at least there's that (although Franz Ferdinand are always good fun)

Noo I was hoping for 90 mins at least too! I shouldn't have watched that Sydney show, got me so excited. To think we'll only get half of that saddens me.

And yeah, I was worrying about Wild Beasts too. I love them but was worrying they might run into The National, but with The National now probably only doing the same length as James Blake on the 2nd stage, it doesn't look like they will, so at least there's that (although Franz Ferdinand are always good fun)

I hear you, man! I think just over an hour is a bit of a pisstake for a headline set, personally. Kind of wish I hadn't asked now, but it probably would have pissed me off more on the day.

Yeah, the Sydney set got me way too excited for what will be a massively shorter gig. I'm already analysing setlists and working out what's likely to be cut... However, on the plus side, the Manchester warehouse is a smaller venue so it should be quite an intimate gig by their current standards.

They basically need to do some gigs in the UK! The Ally Pally shows were about the length of that Sydney one. Need more of that in my life. Although I am seriously leaning towards the Neil Young gig now, since the organisers told me that was likely to be a 90 minute set.

Christ, I have a problem, don't I?!

I hear you, man! I think just over an hour is a bit of a pisstake for a headline set, personally. Kind of wish I hadn't asked now, but it probably would have pissed me off more on the day.

Yeah, the Sydney set got me way too excited for what will be a massively shorter gig. I'm already analysing setlists and working out what's likely to be cut... However, on the plus side, the Manchester warehouse is a smaller venue so it should be quite an intimate gig by their current standards.

They basically need to do some gigs in the UK! The Ally Pally shows were about the length of that Sydney one. Need more of that in my life. Although I am seriously leaning towards the Neil Young gig now, since the organisers told me that was likely to be a 90 minute set.

I think you might. Good job you emailed in beforehand or you'd end up attacking people with shoes again.

I'm not really surprised by them not having very long to be honest. When you consider Franz Ferdinand, Bombay Bicycle Club and Jake Bugg are all perhaps similar draws to The National and all six acts will have to fit in between 4 and 10:30/11ish. Quite good that they're getting an hour and a half at BST though, wouldn't have thought it'd be anywhere near that.

I think you might. Good job you emailed in beforehand or you'd end up attacking people with shoes again.

I'm not really surprised by them not having very long to be honest. When you consider Franz Ferdinand, Bombay Bicycle Club and Jake Bugg are all perhaps similar draws to The National and all six acts will have to fit in between 4 and 10:30/11ish. Quite good that they're getting an hour and a half at BST though, wouldn't have thought it'd be anywhere near that.

Yeah, but Franz Ferdinand, Bombay Bicycle Club and Jake Bugg are all rubbish and The National are awesome. However, since The National are on last I will be keeping my shoes to myself until then for fear of being thrown out.

I only emailed the BST organisers as I spotted that it now says "Full set" after The National on the posters. I'm probably about one payday away from buying a ticket for that now, I reckon.

I was gonna consider the Edinburgh show, but I forgot about it and booked tickets for Pixies on the same night. BST far too expensive considering I live up in the desolate north.

I think we should lobby the BBC, or bribe them to go an hour over curfew, or kill Jake Bugg.

• Upvote 1

I was gonna consider the Edinburgh show, but I forgot about it and booked tickets for Pixies on the same night. BST far too expensive considering I live up in the desolate north.

I think we should lobby the BBC, or bribe them to go an hour over curfew, or kill Jake Bugg.

Kill Jake Bugg! Great idea. With the added advantage that then I won't have to hear his stupid voice ever again.

Might be an obvious question here, but why don't the stupid twats open the doors earlier than 4?!
An hour?! Seriously, come on. They're flying all the way in from America to do one show, they're billed as the headliners, and 6 Music give them an hour. What a fucking rip-off.

Edited by Dog Burger