What are you reading?

zero000

I read all the GoT books last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. A Storm Of Swords (parts 1 and 2) are the highlight, and you may want to read them before season 4 starts on TV in April (which will be based on Storm Of Swords Part 2)

That's the aim, just have to find the time. Really nice having all the background and detail from the books to go with the TV series. Tempted to watch S1 again after having just read the first book.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never got on with GoT books. Started the first one and found it dense and overly descriptive, the writing just felt clunky so I gave up a bit under halfway through.

Yeah, I think it is the longest book I have ever read. Took me a good few months to get through it (I am quite a slow reader, and took a few breaks). It is absolutely brilliant though.

I quite like my 900 pagers, I'm a big fan of Jacqueline Carey who rarely goes under 700, it's the sheer thickness is imposing though, and I've got a few others to get through first.

Never got on with GoT books. Started the first one and found it dense and overly descriptive, the writing just felt clunky so I gave up a bit under halfway through.

Great story teller, bad writer.

I read the first one, enjoyed it despite his awful writing style, started the 2nd but couldn't get anywhere with it.

I think the worst writing of a story I've enjoyed recently was the hunger games series, which my daughter lent me. The writing style is like that of a middle school english class, but the overall tale is worthwhile.

I like apocalyptic and dystopian fiction particularly. There is something about characters thrown into the worst of situations and coming out good that appeals.

I had a go at the first 2 GoT books, having watched the first 2 series and got some enjoyment from that, but gave up on the 3rd a little way in, deciding I'd prefer not to spoil the series and will wait until it's aired before reading on the basis that if Tyrion ever dies I don't want to know in advance :)

nAOxF.jpg

Not a big reader of fiction myself, though i did read The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry recently, which i thoroughly enjoyed. Bought that solely on the strength of the front cover image of a battered old pair of shoes, which charmed me somewhat.

Just finished off Mike Tysons' autobiography which is absolutely brilliant. An incredible up and down life that guy has had.

Other than that i am rotating through the following ;1) Waging Heavy Peace - Neil Youngs' autobiography 2) The Kenneth Williams Diaries and 3) Revolution In The Head, which i've read many times but am constantly dipping in and out of.

Going on holiday next month and i have American Psycho and Aldous Huxleys' The Doors Of Perception ready to go.

I loved American Psycho.

I can't put my finger on what I thought of The Ocean At The End of the Lane. I want to say I was underwhelmed by it, but that's not it - it's still lingering in the memory which suggests there was something more to it. Strange one.

Now onto More Than This by Patrick Ness - it's a young adults book - I loved his Chaos Walking trilogy and have enjoyed his other books immensely so have high hopes.

Then it's on to The Goldfinch which everyone is raving about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Due to the softening of rules at work I'm now paid a good hourly rate to sit and read all night and occasionally answer the phone. Working my way through the small pile of unread Terry Pratchett novels I've not got round to. Snuff at the moment, principally about goblins but really about racism, cronyism and the fact that justice means a different thing depending where you are on the financial ladder. Another winner from mr P.

Read that last summer, it's really good! I can't believe how much money they ploughed into the hacienda it's madness!

It certainly was madness and he is indeed doing it again. I went to Fac 251 when it first opened and it was ok but nothing special - I don't think anywhere will ever exist again that would be comparable to the Hacienda. I never went myself but plenty of people I know did. I hate them.

I am now reading Big Brother by Lionel Shriver who wrote We Need To Talk About Kevin.

I haven't read them but the curious case of Benjamin button and 6 other short stories are supposed to be good. I re-read the chronicles of Narnia last year and enjoyed them. Stephen King does good short stories if you are into horror and if you haven't read both holes and small steps yet, you really should. They are kids books but so what? Same goes for the boy in the striped pyjamas.

just finished reading EVERYONE LOVES OUR TOWN about the rise of bands in Seattle great read makes you think about all the great artist that got caught up in drugs and died .....am now reading 12 years a slave .

• 4 weeks later...