What are you reading?

zero000

What is everyone reading at the moment? I've just started reading Critique of Criminal Reason by Michael Gregorio, a crime thriller set in Prussia. Pretty decent thus far.

I've got a shed load of books to read after Xmas too:

- Life - Keith Richards

- Bad Pharma - Ben Goldacre

- The Prince - Machiavelli
- The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson
- The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith AKA J.K Rowling.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the 'Finkler Question' a while ago and thought it was really good, certainly shines a light on being Jewish.

I've just read 'Mr Loverman' by Bernadine Evaristo which was great. About a relationship between two old Afro caribbean men, really enjoyed it, and would recommend.

Also just read 'The Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt, also marvellous after a ten year wait for her new book but I still prefer 'The Little Friend' of all her epic tomes.

The Booker Prize winner 'The Luminaries' was hard going but a worthy read. I've got Donald Fagen's book to read and Julian Cope's 'Copendium waiting to be read and 'Morissey's effort waiting. :)

I've just finished And When Did You Last See Your Father? by Blake Morrison. Was reasonable...

Halfway through The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - very quirky, enjoyable read.

The Goldfinch is next on the list.

I went a bit mad in the kindle sale after Christmas so have loads to get through!

Halfway through The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - very quirky, enjoyable read.

Loved this book! :)

Been reading Dresden Files by Jim Butcher recently (up to book 6 now) and currently finally getting round to reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (book 6 there too)

Non-fiction wise just read Chris Hadfield's book which is great, the guy is so down to earth (sorry, terrible pun there) and normal sounding. Awesome stuff.

Got a ton of stuff to read on Kindle and new Pratchett in Hardback for Xmas :)

Reading Mozza myself. Bitter much?! Great read though.

Also reading Ginger Bakers autobio. Mostly about heroin thus far.

Fergies book.

My old man got me Down the Highway (on Dylan) for xmas. Th definitive bio on him.

Lowside of the Road. Tom Waits bio. Excellent.

Blues Fell this Morning. Written in 1960. About blues unsurprisingly. And culture in the American south. Very interesting.

Edited by The Nal

I mostly read fantasy and sci-fi. Currently reading a lot of Joe Abercrombie. Really excellent dark fantasy, he's crafted a fantastically harsh and cynical world filled with twisted but very human characters. I particularly like how he shows the progression of an event from the perspectives of different characters.

Currently nothing but recently finished The Sisters Brothers which I completely recommend..

Strong characters & the story makes you wanna finish it in one sitting..

Was good wasn't it? I enjoyed it quite a quirky read, quite clever actually.

I mostly read sci fi, fantasy and thrillers. I notice a lot of people read biographies around here, something that has never interested me personally. For me reading is escapism, pure and simple...to be lost in a great book is a wonderful thing.

I haven't read in a while, I go through phases of reading constantly for weeks, then nothing for months. I've still got the last 3 Terry Pratchett hardbacks sat waiting for the mood to take me (I buy the new one every year).

The books I return to most often (as I do love to re-read old favourites) are 1984, Animal farm or any of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's collaborations (Lucifer's hammer and footfall are probably the definitive end of the world and alien invasion novels, in my opinion).

I do enjoy a good biography - for the simple reason that I'm really interested in other people and their lives - and I'll even read about people I don't know much about, or even like sometimes, for that matter, because it fascinates me to see how various people's lives have panned out.

As for escapism, I've only fairly recently discovered Terry Pratchet, and I've been busy trying to catch up on his back catalogue.

I think, for many people who don't read for pleasure, it's because it seems like too much effort, when other diversions, like tv, require almost none at all. You know, like in the Bill Hicks joke about the man in a diner with a book? I, personally, like the fact that I'm free to create my own version of the world of the book, rather than a tv maker's interpretation ...

I have never had any interest in (auto)biographies either, but the Mozza book appealed to me so I am reading that at the moment. I am about 130 pages in at the moment, but I love his writing style. The book is essentially a 500 page poem.

I mainly read Sci-Fi. Just finished Embassytown by China Mievile which is one of the strangest books I have ever read. If you've not read any of his books I highly recommend them, especially "The City And The City"

I mainly read Sci-Fi. Just finished Embassytown by China Mievile which is one of the strangest books I have ever read. If you've not read any of his books I highly recommend them, especially "The City And The City"

I've got Perdido Street Station in my reading pile. Looking forward to it but it's a massive book.

I've got Perdido Street Station in my reading pile. Looking forward to it but it's a massive book.

Yeah, I think it is the longest book I have ever read. Took me a good few months to get through it (I am quite a slow reader, and took a few breaks). It is absolutely brilliant though.

Edited by windy_miller

I started A Clash of Kings this week, after enjoying a romp through A Game of Thrones the month previous. Have a feeling the George Martin books will keep me going a good chunk of this year.

I read all the GoT books last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. A Storm Of Swords (parts 1 and 2) are the highlight, and you may want to read them before season 4 starts on TV in April (which will be based on Storm Of Swords Part 2)