Q Magazine - "Kasabian New Album in June so Glasto..."

Guest Grateful Ghoul

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah they were but they've always been in that 'could headline, could also sub' bracket. they could pass as a weak headliner against two other stronger headliners, but many (one being you, seemingly) would argue that Arcade Fire and Kasabian are weaker headliners so them + Elbow wouldn't look good at all. three fairly 'new' headliners. needs a more established one in there

yeah they were but they've always been in that 'could headline, could also sub' bracket. they could pass as a weak headliner against two other stronger headliners, but many (one being you, seemingly) would argue that Arcade Fire and Kasabian are weaker headliners so them + Elbow wouldn't look good at all. three fairly 'new' headliners. needs a more established one in there

i know having U2 and Rolling Stones the previous few years has gotten expectations RIDICULOUSLY high this year, as in people expect a headliner of that calibre now (which there aren't that many of) but i still think the festival can do better than Arcade Fire, Elbow and Kasabian, three acts who've all only really become headliners in the past three or so years. there just needs to be that one headliner that's a bit more special (like most years seem to have)

Course they have:

Club foot

LSF

Fire

Underdog

Empire

Shoot the runner

Take aim

would all have the "lads" jumping up and down in excitement and throwing their piss-cups in glee.

If we ignore personal taste, the issue isn't if they have enough songs - it's that they've been ubiquitous for the last 5 years or more.

I don't think it'd be 'pathetic'. The festival used to be mostly headlined by acts who were popular and relevant at the time - needing a 'legend' to balance out current acts seems a fairly new thing.

Edited by JoBalls

Yeah I suppose, I think because of the variety I'm probably a bit too under-critical when it comes to Glastonbury - stark contrast to when I'm talking about other fests. But it just feels to me like the festival was always meant to be mostly celebrating the zeitgeist and that's echoed by the success of the festival in the 90's with the headliners it had.

So perhaps acts like Elbow and (sorry everyone) Florence with more to prove and less to lose are more suitable for a bump up than throwing suitcases of money at the lengthy wishlist of oldie acts to appease customers of an already sold out festival. Would open the door for pricier daytime acts too.

I've gone off on a tangent here but I don't really consider Kasabian and Arcade Fire as acts that need beefing up with a big daddy headliner - they're major acts in their prime with plenty of festival headline experience.

Edited by dentalplan

For a festival like Glasto where ticket sale day is before lineup announcement day, people put their trust in the organisers that the lineup will be comparible to previous years.

On the fallow year in 2012, my fella and I bought tickets in the IOW presale, based on the previous few years lineup... 2011 had KOL, Foo Fighters and Kasabian. When they announced Springsteen, Pearl Jam and Tom Petty we were not happy as it wasn't what we were looking for, and promptly sold our tickets on and bought tickets to Reading, which of course delivered exactly what we expected of it (incidentally Kasabian did an AMAZING headline set there...). Consequently I would never buy tickets for anywhere other than Glasto now without knowing the lineup first.

What I am trying to say I guess, is that Glasto has set the prescedent/built the expectation that they will have a big name, world class act, and if they don't then there are likely to be a fair few disappointed punters* returning their tickets, and possibly next year may not sell out on ticket day, which I guess the Eavii would want to avoid...

*obviously it goes without saying that these people are idiots.

Edited by JoBalls