Pukkelpop 2014

TheNewUnion

Official Pukkelpop Facebook page posted this message two hours ago:

Exciting news, very, very soon. #pkp14

Reckon we might hear something before the end of the week!

I'm not sure if that facebook is official: https://www.facebook.com/pukkelpop2014?fref=ts

Last year this facebook wasn't official (for explample. they told that System Of A Down were playing): https://www.facebook.com/Pukkelpop2013?fref=ts

Just checked again and you're right, it is one of a few fan group pages (there's about three I follow and they all update their logo each year in line with the official one!). Wondered after I posted it if it was correct as there was nothing on the Twitter feed. Not sure what the message is about then but looks like we've still got a while to wait yet!

It's not an irrational message though. Pukkelpop has started being rather active again on its Facebook/Twitter account, and after Thursday's Rock En Seine announcement basically every major European festival in that period will have big names out. It might not be for this or next week, but I can't see them waiting till the end of March either.

I DEMAND NAMES!

By demand I mean am really interested in who is playing. Basically (as per my avatar) I am obsessed with Neil Young and therefore he is on my list as owing me one after last years cancellation. I also hope for a superstar band a la Metallica but thing that is beyond hope really.

I just don't know what is going to happen, in previous years there have been some pretty solid ideas over who is playing but this year it is a mystery.

I do trust however, Chokri will not let us down!

I'm not sure that Neil Young will play at PP since he will be at other festival in Belguim in August

I think that tomorrow R.E.S annoncement will help to get an idea of names that will be possible

hope it will be better than Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA & Placebo that I know that consider good but really doesn't excite me

Edited by amfest12

I DEMAND NAMES!

By demand I mean am really interested in who is playing. Basically (as per my avatar) I am obsessed with Neil Young and therefore he is on my list as owing me one after last years cancellation. I also hope for a superstar band a la Metallica but thing that is beyond hope really.

I just don't know what is going to happen, in previous years there have been some pretty solid ideas over who is playing but this year it is a mystery.

I do trust however, Chokri will not let us down!

Neil Young is playing another Belgian Festival in August (Lokerse) and Metallica are playing Wertcher in July... so none of them will in Pukkelpop 2014. Rumours are that Queens Of The Stone Age and Outkast will be two of the headliners.

Arctic Monkeys are in Japan during Pukkelpop weekend and Placebo and Skrillex are also playing Wertcher

Edited by johnybegood

The early Lowlands announcement, coupled with more festivals than ever clashing over that weekend, are making me think we might hear something a bit sooner than normal. The worrying thing now though is that It must be one of the most competitive and congested times of the European festival calendar, plus you can also throw Japan's Summer Sonic into the mix. The bands that are touring Europe can only really be in one place per day so more festivals will mean less bands to go round.

Nicked this off the Reading/Leeds board (hope no one minds!):

Weekend of AUGUST 16:
Highfield, DE -
Queens of the Stone Age, Blink-182, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Placebo, Jimmy Eat World, Converge, Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls,
Kubana, RU - The Hives
Frequency, AT - Queens of the Stone Age, Blink-182, Placebo, Skrillex, Wilkinson,
Chiemsee Summer, DE - Blink-182, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Converge
Sziget, HU - Queens of the Stone Age, Placebo, Calvin Harris, Bastille, Imagine Dragons, Klaxons
Pukkelpop, BE -
Lowlands, NL -
Queens of the Stone Age, Skrillex, Imagine Dragons, Red Fang, The Skints.

Pstereo, NO - Franz Ferdinand, Action Bronson, Thumpers, Gold Panda, MØ - NEXT ANNOUNCEMENT 10.02

Rock im Pott, DE

Rock 'n' Heim, DE - Placebo, The Prodigy, Skrillex, Imagine Dragons, Billy Talent, Deadmau5

Elb Riot, DE - Airbourne

X Rockfest, DE - Airbourne

Lot of the same names popping up, especially when you consider that the majority of these festivals take place over the same 4 day period. V and Green Man not included in the list.

Been doing a bit of trawling round a few Twitter and Facebook accounts of people (I either follow or are friends with) that are connected to PKP. Some of this is me putting 2 + 2 together but, in the absence of anything concrete to go by, there might be some substance to a good few of these:

Slowdive, ASAP Ferg, Disclosure, Maximo Park, Courtney Barnett, Dusky, MK, Nils Frahm, RY X, Farao, XXYYXX, Ta-Ku, Jackmaster, Despacio (James Murphy!), Sufjan Stevens, Mapai, Crystal Antlers, Trentemoller, Mazzy Star, Tale of Us and Jon Hopkins.

No real biggies here and I haven't gone through them all to check dates so happy to stand corrected!

For what it's worth, I agree with QOTSA and Outkast as two of the headliners but think the third one will be a curve ball. Rumours on the V forum are that they will have Justin Timberlake and that it might go to a full on pop fest, which could mean Jay Z for the other day. R&L forum seem to think The Cure might be about following the release of their new album.

Rock en Swine first names

Arctic Monkeys, Lana Del Rey, Portishead, The Prodigy, Queens Of The Stone Age, Die Antwoord, Jake Bugg, Volbeat, Joey BadaSS, Etienne De Crecy - Superdiscount, Flume, Airbourne, Warpaint

Wouldn't mind a bit of Portishead and I think Etienne De Crecy will be a definite.

Are QOTSA playing every festival going? Certainly seem like it.

The early Lowlands announcement, coupled with more festivals than ever clashing over that weekend, are making me think we might hear something a bit sooner than normal. The worrying thing now though is that It must be one of the most competitive and congested times of the European festival calendar, plus you can also throw Japan's Summer Sonic into the mix. The bands that are touring Europe can only really be in one place per day so more festivals will mean less bands to go round.

Nicked this off the Reading/Leeds board (hope no one minds!):

Weekend of AUGUST 16:

Highfield, DE - Queens of the Stone Age, Blink-182, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Placebo, Jimmy Eat World, Converge, Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls,

Kubana, RU - The Hives

Frequency, AT - Queens of the Stone Age, Blink-182, Placebo, Skrillex, Wilkinson,

Chiemsee Summer, DE - Blink-182, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Converge

Sziget, HU - Queens of the Stone Age, Placebo, Calvin Harris, Bastille, Imagine Dragons, Klaxons

Pukkelpop, BE -

Lowlands, NL - Queens of the Stone Age, Skrillex, Imagine Dragons, Red Fang, The Skints.

Pstereo, NO - Franz Ferdinand, Action Bronson, Thumpers, Gold Panda, MØ - NEXT ANNOUNCEMENT 10.02

Rock im Pott, DE

Rock 'n' Heim, DE - Placebo, The Prodigy, Skrillex, Imagine Dragons, Billy Talent, Deadmau5

Elb Riot, DE - Airbourne

X Rockfest, DE - Airbourne

Lot of the same names popping up, especially when you consider that the majority of these festivals take place over the same 4 day period. V and Green Man not included in the list.

Been doing a bit of trawling round a few Twitter and Facebook accounts of people (I either follow or are friends with) that are connected to PKP. Some of this is me putting 2 + 2 together but, in the absence of anything concrete to go by, there might be some substance to a good few of these:

Slowdive, ASAP Ferg, Disclosure, Maximo Park, Courtney Barnett, Dusky, MK, Nils Frahm, RY X, Farao, XXYYXX, Ta-Ku, Jackmaster, Despacio (James Murphy!), Sufjan Stevens, Mapai, Crystal Antlers, Trentemoller, Mazzy Star, Tale of Us and Jon Hopkins.

No real biggies here and I haven't gone through them all to check dates so happy to stand corrected!

For what it's worth, I agree with QOTSA and Outkast as two of the headliners but think the third one will be a curve ball. Rumours on the V forum are that they will have Justin Timberlake and that it might go to a full on pop fest, which could mean Jay Z for the other day. R&L forum seem to think The Cure might be about following the release of their new album.

You forgot to add in the Oya Festival names, a week before Pukkelpop. They have The National headlining, and I can really see that happening here too. 2 hiphop headliners is a no go, The Cure would be incredible (if they get their 2+ hour slot).

If someone can arrange for Del Rey to be as far away from PKP as possible, that would be great.

She's also playing fests that share a big deal of names with Rock Werchter, rest assured.

You forgot to add in the Oya Festival names, a week before Pukkelpop.

It's not that I forgot, I've just listed the ones that fall on the same weekend as PKP. If you go on the Reading and Leeds forum, the thread I got the info from has loads of festivals listed throughout the whole of August.

Few more names to throw in the rumour mix: Mogwai, Moderat and New Order.

Dave - I think I prefer Rock en Swine!

It's not that I forgot, I've just listed the ones that fall on the same weekend as PKP. If you go on the Reading and Leeds forum, the thread I got the info from has loads of festivals listed throughout the whole of August.

Yeah, my bad. I thought V Festival was in a different weekend.

But you did point out an interesting thing: with Placebo and Skrillex ruled out, there's little headline worthy names around. Secretly it makes me hope for something 'unexpected', same thing Neil Young and Bjork were in the past years. The Cure is what comes to mind at first (which I would absolutely love), Kraftwerk would be superb as well.

I mentioned a gut feeling about Neutral Milk Hotel earlier in this thread, but I think they may have turned into a distinct possibilitiy now they've been announced for Green Man.

From the Green Man line up I'd also love to see Beirut and I Break Horses show up at PP. Maybe Anna Calvi too. There was a fair bit of overlap between the two festivals last year.

Edited by Trufflehound

Yeah, my bad. I thought V Festival was in a different weekend.

But you did point out an interesting thing: with Placebo and Skrillex ruled out, there's little headline worthy names around. Secretly it makes me hope for something 'unexpected', same thing Neil Young and Bjork were in the past years. The Cure is what comes to mind at first (which I would absolutely love), Kraftwerk would be superb as well.

You're right to point out the festivals either side of PKP as many bands, Lollapolloza and Summer Sonic aside, tend to hang around Europe for most of the month. Would love Kraftwerk to be there; could see them and The National as a double header one night. I think Skrillex may still play PKP but, in a bit of a sneaky two fingers up at RW, they'll put him in the Boiler or Dance Hall as the closing act, rather than the Main Stage. I can see Disclosure and Beirut each headlining the

Marquee and Sub Focus one of the nights in the Dance Hall. Boyz Noize has a live show doing the rounds this year so think him and the Bloody Beetroots may also feature in the Dance Hall. About time Andy C made a return to the Boiler, last time he DJ'd in there was 2009!

Trufflehound - agree that NMH will play, are they big enough to headline Marquee?