Pohoda festival 2014

Guest muflon

10411428_10152424885677488_2820971165620

Hi, I would like to open a thread for Pohoda festival. It's the most popular open-air multicultural event in Slovakia. Which is held for the 18th time from Thursday 10 July to Saturday 12 July 2014.

I think its the best festival with the most friendly people. Beside concerts there are many attractions and whole airport area is really beautifully decorated with art, flags, pianos, sunflowers etc.. Only small number of foreigners attend this festival, but don't be scared all the announcements and information are provided in english too and most of the festival attendants speak english. Festival is really cheap, you only have to pay the ticket price, showers and other facilities are free. Beer costs around 1.3€ and a meal 3€-6€. Festival is family friendly and actually there are a lot of people with their small children.

After selling 7000 early bird tickets current ticket price is 89€/77£ with the camping included. Tickets can be bought at http://www.pohodafestival.sk/en/tickets

remember that capacity of the festival is 30 000 people and in the recent years it was sold out.

Best way to travel to Pohoda is thru Bratislava airport then train or bus to Trencin or Brno airport in Czech republic and then bus to Trencin.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to post in this thread. I’m just a fan of this festival and I would like if more people invited Pohoda and could feel the great atmosphere of this festival.

More information you can find on festival’s website:

http://www.pohodafestival.sk/en

last.fm event: http://www.last.fm/festival/3645610+Ba%C5%BEant+Pohoda+2014

FB: https://www.facebook.com/pohoda.festival

Announced line up:

Kraftwerk, Travis, Suede, Kelis, Disclosure, Moderat, Goldfrapp, Tame Impala, Mogwai, Band of Skulls, Tricky, Seasick Steve, Azealia Banks, Mount Kimbie, tUnE-yArDs, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Afghan Whigs, Mr. Scruff, Modeselektor, The Selecter, Brandt Brauer Frick, East India Youth, Lucy Rose, Juana Molina, When Saints Go Machine, Gilles Peterson, Chinawoman, Deap Vally, Analogik, The Correspondents, Fatoumata Diawara, Roberto Fonseca, A Tribe Called Red and many more....

Baant+Pohoda+2014+IMG_6576384654722.jpg

Line up of past editions:

Atoms for Peace, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Justice, Kate Nash, Bonobo, Peaches, Buena Vista Social Club, Major Lazer, Quantic, SBTRKT, Diplo, Youth Lagoon, Django Django, iamamiwhoami...

Pohoda 2013 festival review from virtual festivals - 9/10

http://www.I'M A DESPERATE SPAMMER.com/latest/news/14115

The Kooks, Kasabian, Two Door Cinema Club, Lou Reed, Yann Tiersen, Bat for Lashes, White Lies, Elbow, Emilíana Torrini, Public Enemy, Orbital, Caribou, Chase & Status, The Horrors, Aloe Blacc...

Pohoda 2012 festival review from virtual festivals - 10/10

http://www.I'M A DESPERATE SPAMMER.com/latest/news/13056

Pulp, Moby, Portishead, M.I.A., Imogen Heap, Beirut, Lamb, Peter Bjorn and John, Santigold, Simian Mobile Disco, Madness, DJ Krush....

Pohoda 2011 festival review from virtual festivals - 9/10

http://www.I'M A DESPERATE SPAMMER.com/latest/news/10992

The xx, Crystal Castles, Klaxons, José González, Scissor Sisters, Digitalism, Friendly Fires, The Futureheads, The Stranglers, Leftfield, múm, Does It Offend You? Yeah!, Metronomy, New Young Pony Club, Autechre....

Edited by muflon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quite tempted to go this year.If anyone could tell me some more info about the festival it would be appreciated. Whats the food and drink situation like prices etc.? I would like to stay in a hotel in the town is it easy to get to and from the festival site are there plenty of taxis buses etc. ! Thanks

Hi, I've been there four times so feel free to ask anything.

You've got great selection of food including vegetarian and other diets. This year there was big catering tent where they served national dishes from countries around Europe and there was all-you-can eat for around 11€ too. Most of the meals cost between 3-5€. Beer and soft drinks were 1,3€ for half a liter. Liquor isn't sold at the festival site but you can bring your own as long as it is not in glass bottle. And there is free drinkable water in the festival sinks.

There are shuttle buses running from the city to festival site for a small fee and festival taxis with flat price too. But I wouldn't recommend staying at the hotel because you lose a lot of time by traveling between city and the festival and there is not much to do around the city. There are tons of attractions and activities at the festival site which is open whole time and concerts starting around noon. I would recommend you to stay at "Tent Inn" which is tent hiring service at festival which will be available later. You will just come and there will be fully equipped tent waiting for you. It costs around 30€ for 2 people and whole stay.

Edited by muflon

Yeah, it does look great. I've never been because it clashes with Exit and BBK Live so I can never get away with it. I have been to Trencin years ago, but it didn't strike me as the most happening place and there wasn't really many places you could actually stay anyway. There was one hostel that I think was run by nuns or something, so wouldn't think it would be too popular with festivalgoers.

I reckon you'd be better off on the campsite soaking up the atmosphere.

Yeah, it does look great. I've never been because it clashes with Exit and BBK Live so I can never get away with it. I have been to Trencin years ago, but it didn't strike me as the most happening place and there wasn't really many places you could actually stay anyway. There was one hostel that I think was run by nuns or something, so wouldn't think it would be too popular with festivalgoers.

I reckon you'd be better off on the campsite soaking up the atmosphere.

Edited by muflon

Its a shame that the only option seems to be camping. One of the reasons I like Sziget is that you can enjoy the festival but when you have had enough you can go back to your hotel in the city and get a good sleep and relax. I have looked at places to stay in Trencin but everywhere central is booked already.

Its a shame that the only option seems to be camping. One of the reasons I like Sziget is that you can enjoy the festival but when you have had enough you can go back to your hotel in the city and get a good sleep and relax. I have looked at places to stay in Trencin but everywhere central is booked already.

Edited by muflon

There was world music announcement today Fatoumata Diawara, Oratnitza, A Tribal Called Red will play this year. Also earlier Korean metal/post-rock band Jambinai were announced earlier and they sound really good. I attached two songs really worth listening.

and A tribal called red

Edited by muflon

• 2 weeks later...

Ten Inn - tent hiring service at pohoda (I wrote about it earlier) is now available for book. There is tent for 2 people with two mattresses and two covers. It costs 42€ together for whole festival. It has a reception that can help you with orientation or wake you up in the morning. It's a great option if you want to travel light.

You can book it here at the bottom of this page http://www.ticketportal.sk/event.aspx?id=18528STVRTOK_KatarinaAce%C2%A6%C3%BCl-108.-w5

Also Chinawoman (CA) was announced

Edited by muflon

I think there will be announcements every week. On a radio show organizers mentioned that they announce artists as soon as they are given permission from band's managers so they aren't waiting for big batches. There is many more to come, so far there is 25 artists and usually there are more than 120 acts.

Edited by muflon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Muflon,

Thank you very much for starting this thread. It's really helpful for those of us who unfortunately do not understand Slovak.

I hope you will not mind if I try to pick your brains about the camping facilities...

I would like to know whether the Tent Inn Hotel area is better than the free camping areas in any regard: shower/toilet facilities, distance to stages/attractions, security, noise, etc

Basically, whether you can think of any other advantage of staying at the Tent Inn Hotel area, apart from ridding yourself of carrying and setting the tent.

Thank you

Hi cactusvs,

you're welcome I'm happy to help with anything. Tent In area has the best location for camping. I used to camp there when there wasn't this service. But there is free camping right next to Tent inn so it does not make huge difference. Downside of this is that closer you are to the festival area noisier it gets, so if you want quiet night sleep brig your own tent and build it at the end of free camping but keep in mind that you will have to walk a lot :).

Here is map of are you can find Tent inn on right bottom side: http://www.pohodafestival.sk/index.php/en/map/

Toilets and showers are shared with all campers. Tent inn area is separated by fence and it has "reception" where they check you wristband if you are allowed to enter this area so it is more secure. Still I wouldn't keep valuable things in tent of course.

Biggest advantage is that you don't need to bring your own tent I think this should be the main point in deciding if you want to buy this service. :) I hope I helped if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask.

Hi cactusvs,

you're welcome I'm happy to help with anything. Tent In area has the best location for camping. I used to camp there when there wasn't this service. But there is free camping right next to Tent inn so it does not make huge difference. Downside of this is that closer you are to the festival area noisier it gets, so if you want quiet night sleep brig your own tent and build it at the end of free camping but keep in mind that you will have to walk a lot :).

Here is map of are you can find Tent inn on right bottom side: http://www.pohodafestival.sk/index.php/en/map/

Toilets and showers are shared with all campers. Tent inn area is separated by fence and it has "reception" where they check you wristband if you are allowed to enter this area so it is more secure. Still I wouldn't keep valuable things in tent of course.

Biggest advantage is that you don't need to bring your own tent I think this should be the main point in deciding if you want to buy this service. :) I hope I helped if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask.