qotsa

nufc1978

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I'd like to see them back on The Farm, I'd rather see them get a shot at headlining Reading & Leeds. I think Josh & co. have earned the chance to show they can top the bill.

Totally agree. Too soon for another shot at glasto (Other headliner is the only slot they could play), but they definitely deserve a shot at headlining Reading. They were stunningly good at Wembley at the weekend, they would do a brilliant headline set should they be given the nod.

Totally agree. Too soon for another shot at glasto (Other headliner is the only slot they could play), but they definitely deserve a shot at headlining Reading. They were stunningly good at Wembley at the weekend, they would do a brilliant headline set should they be given the nod.

how did Wembley (and their other arena shows) sell d'you know? i'd love to see them get the step up to headliner at Reading and Leeds but i still don't see them as quite there yet

they only subbed at Download this year, and whilst their new album has given them a bit of a boost, if they can't headline Download then they definitely can't headline Reading and Leeds. unfortunately, unless they release another big song like No One Knows (which they couldn't be further away from these days) they're probably stuck in sub position limbo

they only subbed at Download this year, and whilst their new album has given them a bit of a boost, if they can't headline Download then they definitely can't headline Reading and Leeds. unfortunately, unless they release another big song like No One Knows (which they couldn't be further away from these days) they're probably stuck in sub position limbo

....like clockwork was released the week before Download though and way after they were booked. Hasn't it subsequently become their biggest selling album to date? (think i read that somewhere, although I don't necessarily believe that, it has to be SFTD!? ...LC has certainly become their highest charting album, number 1 in US, number 2 in UK.)

Edited by Ed209

it was their highest charting album yeah, but still didn't exactly light the world on fire did it? no big singles, no massive exposure. i'd be all for them headlining but just seems unlikely is all

(also don't think it's their biggest selling album. Songs For The Deaf has definitely sold more)

only way (imo) they could headline is if they did some kind of co-headliner thing like they did with Pulp and The Strokes (though that seems unlikely)

it was their highest charting album yeah, but still didn't exactly light the world on fire did it? no big singles, no massive exposure. i'd be all for them headlining but just seems unlikely is all

(also don't think it's their biggest selling album. Songs For The Deaf has definitely sold more)

only way (imo) they could headline is if they did some kind of co-headliner thing like they did with Pulp and The Strokes (though that seems unlikely)

I agree, it would be a bit of a punt, I just think its one a festival should take, and Reading seems the obvious choice. Their recent shows made me think they have a show that's big enough for a headline slot at a major festival.

Now, QOTSA/NIN would be a double headliner that would be incredible and worthy of a booking (Aussie's are getting that arena tour next year, lucky buggers, although tickets were £100 a pop according to a friend in perth!). NIN played last year though so can't see that happening.

It sold well, and had a good reaction amongst rock fans and critics. I think them headlining is more a matter of them being the best placed 'new' headliner, which is a thing R+L often try and implement. Which is why bands like Arcade Fire, MCR and Biffy Clyro got the headlining gig, met by a few grumbles, and subsequently knocked it out of the park. People don't really see bands as potential headliners until they've already headlined, which as you can see is a bit of a paradox.

It sold well, and had a good reaction amongst rock fans and critics. I think them headlining is more a matter of them being the best placed 'new' headliner, which is a thing R+L often try and implement. Which is why bands like Arcade Fire, MCR and Biffy Clyro got the headlining gig, met by a few grumbles, and subsequently knocked it out of the park. People don't really see bands as potential headliners until they've already headlined, which as you can see is a bit of a paradox.

you win some you lose some (see - The Darkness and Razorlight)

i was going to ask had there been many headliners at Reading and Leeds who hadn't had number one albums at the time they headlined but yeah, MCR didn't so that answers that (although i think their last album was expected to do a lot better than it did, and also that was a very weak year for Reading and Leeds headliner wise. can tell they struggled)

you're of course right about them giving bands a punt at headlining, but for the most part, it's new(ish) bands who've just taken the UK by storm out of nowhere, rather than a bands like QOTSA who've been around for ages and are only now getting the recognition they deserve and slowly building a fanbase (Biffy don't count 'cause they might as well be a new band with the more mainstream sound they took on)