U2

1waveydavey

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you learn anything from 2011?

Years of hype

The promise of stage attachments, which amounted to be nothing more than propaganda screens

A very flat performance completely devoid of atmosphere outside of the immediate centre of the pyramid stage where all the bono heads reside

I went there because I thought 'hey they'll play some 80s and early 90s choons like 'The Fly' and they delivered and for that I was grateful until I realized the songs I genuinely enjoyed by the band left me with the same cold feeling as the songs I detest (vertigo, beautiful day, etc.) they are a band that no longer have any soul and my word did that reflect in their live show. Incredibly dull and devoid of any feeling and atmosphere.

You were at a different gig to me then mate, and I was to the far left reasonably far back and we still couldn't move, apart from everyone did. The atmosphere was awesome, I've not been to many gigs where the anticipation of each song was so fevered and I've been to hundreds of gigs. Sorry you had a bad one, but sometimes that just happens. The mud and tiredness got to me in 2007 when I was watching Arcade Fire thinking "I should be loving this" and I just...wasn't.

didn't go in '11 so can't really comment on how U2 were, but i remember reading somewhere that throughout the entire set Bono was shitting himself because the stage / walkway had become so slippy from the rain and he thought he was gonna tumble over at any minute. not that that's any real excuse for the show being bad or anything, but i know my performance would be somewhat hindered if i was constantly trying to keep my balance

All their equipment broke and none of the band could hear a thing! U2 didn't have to put up with anything like that sort of thing

All of their gear didn't break, they did have some problems and they certainly had monitor sound problems meaning they struggled to hear what they were playing.

It certainly didn't hammer down during the set (unlike the South Park Oxford set where every drop of water ever seemed to empty in to the field at once).

Still, I thought it was bloody terrible conditions for U2 and they did as well as you could expect. My original post wasn't a thread hoping they will play,just a speculative, I wonder....

I enjoyed it in 2011. I was in a phenomenal position, and in the immediate aftermath I was raving about the set.

As time has passed I've had a somewhat revised opinion of it, as really just a good set, not the greatest. But on the night I had no inclination things were going wrong nor did the rain really bother me

Edited by Alcatraz

All of their gear didn't break, they did have some problems and they certainly had monitor sound problems meaning they struggled to hear what they were playing.

It certainly didn't hammer down during the set (unlike the South Park Oxford set where every drop of water ever seemed to empty in to the field at once).

Still, I thought it was bloody terrible conditions for U2 and they did as well as you could expect. My original post wasn't a thread hoping they will play,just a speculative, I wonder....

Not being able to hear what they, or their band mates, were playing in the biggest gig of their lives

v

A wet stage

Please for the love of god NO......

They are not a festival band and I have never seen the pyramid field so empty........

Even getting the space station involved was shit, never again please

I actually thought that was absolutely amazing

Edited by Aragorn

Just watched the first half hour of it - and even as someone who's not a fan - it's good stuff.

However, the weather has nothing to do with the way they front-loaded the set and the anticlimactic shrug that resulted when they finished with Moment of Surrender and Out of Control. Even on the hottest day of the year that still would have gone down like a cup of cold sick.

The main set was good, but I forgot about the encore - most definitely anticlimactic. Might have worked for a fanclub show, but not Glastonbury. I remember briefly thinking "Is that it?", and then "I'm soaked, I want to go back to my tent".

unless they were wearing earplugs, why would they not be able to hear anything else on the stage?

The drums are usually loud enough anyway, guitars have amplifiers etc. It might not have been ideal, but then that's what festivals are very often like.

Its Radiohead. Theyre amazing. Everything they do is amazing.

unless they were wearing earplugs, why would they not be able to hear anything else on the stage?

The drums are usually loud enough anyway, guitars have amplifiers etc. It might not have been ideal, but then that's what festivals are very often like.

dunno I've never played the pyramid stage at glastonbury

(though I can play lucy in the sky with diamonds nearly flawlessly on the piano so it wont be long before I do)

It is interesting how subjective the busyness of the crowd can be depending on where you were standing. Superscally found it was rammed but i gradually moved across the field, stopping for a while in various spots, having come from the park and on way to the dance village. It wasn't deserted but defintely easier to walk through than other pyramid headliners i've seen.

Ive never got why they are considered so huge, definitly a band that should have given it up a long long time ago.

Probably the fact that they have a huge number of amazing songs that people like, that inspires them to put their albums at number one and sell out stadiums instantly. Yeah. Probably something to do with that.

god no! such a boring boring band, the only thing they live off is there frontmans ego the rest of the band are basically his sessions muscions even the edge and that says it all(really ive never seen a more dull lead guitarist in a major band then that guy) Ive never got why they are considered so huge, definitly a band that should have given it up a long long time ago. boring stadium rock by numbers

why would you go and see a band you hate?

What a peculiar fellow you are.