U2

1waveydavey

So.. New album due early'ish next year, I wonder if they would want another crack at the Pyramid? I know they weren't thrilled last time, everything went against them, pulling out with a bad back firet time, terrible weather and jet lag did for them when they played.

I'm speculating, no more, would they fancy launching the new album on the Pyramid like Coldplay did so successfully the following night?

It just struck me that they might want to get a good one under their belts...

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U2 aren't a festival band like Coldplay are, who's success has been in big part thanks to their Glastonbury and other festival performances. Likelihood is they'll never play Glastonbury again.

If they want to launch an album, they'll do it very much on their own terms

Edited by Alcatraz

I thought they were good - just terrible weather that dampened the mood a bit. Coldplay were better but had clear conditions. And Queens had a crowd who'd been lapping up the Mediterranean sun all day. But there's no way they'll play again so soon. Maybe never again.

Paul McGuinness has quit so U2 are going to be managed by Live Nation now. U2 aren't a band anymore really. Where the majority of their time and effort is put into making music. They're businessmen now.

Whilst I agree with that statement wholeheartedly, I'm probably in the minority here (bare in mind that I've had a few this evening) when I say that I thought U2 was absolutely great in 2011. Given the circumstances that they had to deal with (heavy rain), I think they pulled that set out of the bag. Obviously they weren't a patch on The Stones but I still thought they played a chuffing good set that night.

The show didn't go down well? EH??? They were absolutely brilliant, great set, great singalong, great show. You couldn't move in there. The weather may have dampened it for some, but not for me or anyone who I spoke to. I for one didn't even remember it rained until I saw the re-run on iPlayer because everyone around was going so nuts. The Radiohead scenario was completely different, because it didn't rain during the gig did it? Certainly not the downpour that U2 got.

Edited by Superscally

Not a band alive who could have comprehensively triumphed in the conditions U2 found themselves in there. I wasn't there, not my bag, but from what I see and hear, they aquitted themselves as well as anybody could have done in that downpour.

Just watched the first half hour of it - and even as someone who's not a fan - it's good stuff.

However, the weather has nothing to do with the way they front-loaded the set and the anticlimactic shrug that resulted when they finished with Moment of Surrender and Out of Control. Even on the hottest day of the year that still would have gone down like a cup of cold sick.

Didn't you learn anything from 2011?

Years of hype

The promise of stage attachments, which amounted to be nothing more than propaganda screens

A very flat performance completely devoid of atmosphere outside of the immediate centre of the pyramid stage where all the bono heads reside

I went there because I thought 'hey they'll play some 80s and early 90s choons like 'The Fly' and they delivered and for that I was grateful until I realized the songs I genuinely enjoyed by the band left me with the same cold feeling as the songs I detest (vertigo, beautiful day, etc.) they are a band that no longer have any soul and my word did that reflect in their live show. Incredibly dull and devoid of any feeling and atmosphere.

Edited by Yesiamaduck