Zoo Music Girl

The National

Well that was fantastic. Based on Dublin and Edinburgh it seems like the first night is more older tracks and the second the big hitters from the recent albums.

I was happy with that set tonight, would have preferred a couple more from Alligator and especially Boxer but hard to be overly fussy when they have so many great songs. Was great to finally hear Wasp Nest live though, that, Bloodbuzz and Nobody Else Will Be There were my highlights. I also loved how buzzing Aaron was during his solo on The System, he just seemed so proud of himself and was having the time of his life.

Loving the new album and guilty party is becoming my favourite ever national song, Matts voice on it sounds beautiful. I know a lot of people don't like turtleneck but my let down song on the album is I'll still destroy you. The song seems all over the place and the sounds in the background don't work for me, it sounds like a ringtone. Going to see them Monday hoping for All the wine, Karen and lit up

Yeah great gig last night, was hoping for a Start a War when they whipped out the acoustic for the encore but Fake Empire, Conversation 16 and Pink Rabbits were all brilliant.

Edited by addicted2noise

10 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Glad I went last night, much better setlist than tonight IMO.  Gutted I didn't get Dark Side Of The Gym though

September 21, 2017 || Edinburgh, UK

Nobody Else Will Be There
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
Walk It Back
Don’t Swallow the Cap
Sea of Love
Empire Line
Turtleneck
I Need My Girl
This is the Last Time
I’ll Still Destroy You
Lemonworld
Conversation 16
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Guilty Party
Dark Side of the Gym
Day I Die
Sleep Well Beast
Fake Empire
Wasp Nest
Pink Rabbits
Mr. November
Terrible Love

that lineup is immense, Conversation 16 is my favourite and Iive not seen them play it live before

Apollo tonight, Doors 7, Luluc 8-8:30, The National 9-10:45.

Really just posting this for an excuse to say that when I went on the Apollo's fb page to check this, I saw that Bowling For Soup are playing there in Feb, and I howled with laughter at the sight of what the Girl All The Bad Guys Want hitmakers look like in 2017. Outstanding stuff.

Sea Of Love last night, would love to get that tonight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

God damn, I think Nobody Else Will Be There might well be my all time favourite The National song. 

It's god damn gorgeous alright. What a way to kick off the show. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

It's god damn gorgeous alright. What a way to kick off the show. 

Heartbroken I couldn't get tickets for this tour, looks absolutely incredible.

England, Squalor Victoria, Fake Empire, Afraid of Everyone and Daughters Of The Soho Riots are the non-SWB tracks i most want to hear on monday.

23 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Well that was fantastic. Based on Dublin and Edinburgh it seems like the first night is more older tracks and the second the big hitters from the recent albums.

I'm hoping Manchester breaks that rule! Tonight was pretty similar set to Edinburgh night 2.  Almost entirely the last 3 albums. Good to see Hard to Find back on the setlist, but hoping for something special tomorrow.

It was great that the band stopped the show when they saw some trouble in the crowd - think someone had fainted. They then replayed the song that they had very nearly finished anyhow.

Edited by fowls

Fun for all the family that! Very pleased we got Slow Show and Apartment Story, nearly welled up for Slow Show. Afraid OF Everyone was an unexpected highlight, Fake Empire sounded incredible, Ohio was massive, Mr November went off. I will say I was slightly disappointed with how a lot of the new songs came across, with the exception of Carin and Guilty Party, which were both great.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Fun for all the family that! Very pleased we got Slow Show and Apartment Story, nearly welled up for Slow Show. Afraid OF Everyone was an unexpected highlight, Fake Empire sounded incredible, Ohio was massive, Mr November went off. I will say I was slightly disappointed with how a lot of the new songs came across, with the exception of Carin and Guilty Party, which were both great.

I really enjoyed loads of the new songs. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness is an absolute beast. Guilty Party was the highlight of the new ones agreed, not even one of my favourites on the new record but really does sound excellent live.

First time seeing them so I didn't know how much of a monster they turned Terrible Love into live. 23 song set list though - cracking value!

Edited by arcade fireman

Tonight was 10 times the show last night was! Abel into Sorrow was magic, and surprised by how much they made the New Order cover sound like a National song.

• Like 1

I think I'm still right in saying that they've played England at the first show of each venue for a while now. Looking good for the first show in London on monday!

10 hours ago, fowls said:

Tonight was 10 times the show last night was! Abel into Sorrow was magic, and surprised by how much they made the New Order cover sound like a National song.

Was a magnificent performance thanks to a true e fester for selling me his tickets when he couldn't go and not trying to cash in ...thats the way.  Was it me or did lot of crowd not pick up on the fact it was a new order cover . Matt is a great showman everything looked and sounded great and atmosphere was good. Only one bug bear usual dicks talking all the way through some of the likes of I need my girl through to Abel.  

• Upvote 1

Very glad I went yesterday, the set list was far better for me, having never seen Wasp Nest before and Geese (my favourite song) only once. Of course some crackers missed out on though, Slow Show in particular. FWIW @GETOFFAMYLAWN I'll Still Destroy You (my highlight of SWB) seemed to fall a bit flat in the crowd where I was, even though the likes of Carin and Guilty Party went down well.

Matt seemed to struggle with I'll Still Destroy you in Edinburgh, they had to restart it after he messed up the timing/lyrics at the start of the chorus. I thought all the new songs they did sounded great except that one, Dark Side of the Gym and the title track. Dark Side of the Gym was fine and I love it on record but it killed the mood a bit after a run of really well recieved songs. The title track was a bit messy live, I guess it is on record too but it comes across better there.

Thought they were great last night, though I think I'd have preferred Friday's set (Conversation 16 is one of my favourites and I've never seen them play it). Guilty Party would have been the highlight but the girl next to me decided to give her friend an in depth lyrical analysis of the song during it, which ruined it a bit. Got hit by one of Matt's drinks too!

5 hours ago, crocodiles said:

Was a magnificent performance thanks to a true e fester for selling me his tickets when he couldn't go and not trying to cash in ...that's the way.  Was it me or did lot of crowd not pick up on the fact it was a new order cover . Matt is a great showman everything looked and sounded great and atmosphere was good. Only one bug bear usual dicks talking all the way through some of the likes of I need my girl through to Abel.  

Yeah, chatters are far worse at National gigs. So many more sedate songs that when one group stops talking, another starts. Infuriating!!

To be honest, I didn't pick up on it! I'd only ever heard Iron and Wine's cover and didn't know it was a New Order song until I looked it up after the show... I did figure they'd play some sort of cover at some point after Matt talked about how much Manchester means to them, but they didn't make much effort to introduce the song itself. It's a total cliché to say that and then cover The Smiths or Joy Division.

My friend gave me a New Order vinyl, it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap. Haha

Edited by fowls

4 hours ago, fowls said:

Yeah, chatters are far worse at National gigs. So many more sedate songs that when one group stops talking, another starts. Infuriating!!

To be honest, I didn't pick up on it! I'd only ever heard Iron and Wine's cover and didn't know it was a New Order song until I looked it up after the show... I did figure they'd play some sort of cover at some point after Matt talked about how much Manchester means to them, but they didn't make much effort to introduce the song itself. It's a total cliché to say that and then cover The Smiths or Joy Division.

My friend gave me a New Order vinyl, it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap. Haha

Love vigilantes probably not amongst most famous new order songs ever but still in Manchester would have expected a bigger reaction . Any new order fans would know it ....then again audience weren't all as old as me :P

17 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Totally off-topic but what happened to Scruffylovemonster? Has he left the site? He'd normally be really active in this thread.

The North doesnt have electricity over summer does it? He'll be back in october when his meter switches back on I expect.