The National

Zoo Music Girl

• 1 month later...

I had the CD of Boxer back in 2007, but since then The National had generally passed me by and i couldn't really see the attraction, however had Six Music on in the car yesterday and heard something really great which turned out to be Turtleneck!

Looks like a reassessment of the National is in order for 2018. Spotify here i come.

41 minutes ago, tjamest said:

I had the CD of Boxer back in 2007, but since then The National had generally passed me by and i couldn't really see the attraction, however had Six Music on in the car yesterday and heard something really great which turned out to be Turtleneck!

Looks like a reassessment of the National is in order for 2018. Spotify here i come.

Turtleneck is an absolute banger, don't think it was too well received on here though when the album dropped!

36 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Turtleneck is an absolute banger, don't think it was too well received on here though when the album dropped!

I haven't had a chance to listen to the rest of the album yet so i have nothing to compare it to, but any track that comes on the car radio and makes me lean over and turn up the volume the first time i hear it is alright by me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

This time 12 months ago The National were just a name of little significance to me. Fast forward a year and I’ve seen them twice, seeing them again next summer and own every album of theirs on vinyl.

It’s been a great year for music IMO, but discovering The National has been the undisputed highlight for me.

One of us, one of us!!!! 

• Upvote 1

I listened to Boxer a load last year after buying tickets for the APE show based on recommendations from here, it didn’t really click for me. However, just listened to it again today and I’ve fallen in love with it, guess it just takes a while! Where should I go next in turns of albums, any suggestions?

14 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I listened to Boxer a load last year after buying tickets for the APE show based on recommendations from here, it didn’t really click for me. However, just listened to it again today and I’ve fallen in love with it, guess it just takes a while! Where should I go next in turns of albums, any suggestions?

You really can’t go wrong with any of their albums from Alligator onwards, but for accessibility I would go....

High Violet

Sleep Well Beast

Alligator 

Trouble Will Find Me

They are all brilliant in their own way and you will learn to love them equally. 

It’s like having multiple children, you love them all dearly, but occasionally one does something to make them your favourite. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2018 at 1:25 PM, nikkic said:

You really can’t go wrong with any of their albums from Alligator onwards, but for accessibility I would go....

High Violet

Sleep Well Beast

Alligator 

Trouble Will Find Me

They are all brilliant in their own way and you will learn to love them equally. 

It’s like having multiple children, you love them all dearly, but occasionally one does something to make them your favourite. 

Awesome thanks! Will check them all out gradually :)

2 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Crucially, one must not bypass the Cherry Tree EP.

Embarrassingly, I only listened to the Cherry Tree EP for the first time this week. It’s brilliant. 

I forgot to mention The Virginia EP in my last post, which I also love. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Embarrassingly, I only listened to the Cherry Tree EP for the first time this week. It’s brilliant. 

I forgot to mention The Virginia EP in my last post, which I also love. 

Lest we forget non album singles such as Think You Can Wait, Exile Vilify and the tracks on the Day of the Dead compilation album; especially Peggy-O.

Christ, The National's discography is really incredible.

5 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Lest we forget non album singles such as Think You Can Wait, Exile Vilify and the tracks on the Day of the Dead compilation album; especially Peggy-O.

Christ, The National's discography is really incredible.

Everything from Cherry Tree onwards has been excellent, even the non album songs as you say. Not many other bands around who've been that consistent over the last 14 years.

• Upvote 1