The National

Zoo Music Girl

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sleep Well Mr. Beat

@GETOFFAMYLAWN champions the method of watching live shows to get into them. If the albums don't work, that is. If neither of those are satisfactory then we may have to operate.

They were on Jools recently right? I'll check that out, better to tolerate Jools Holland than whatever sort of operation you are suggesting.

2 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Picked up tickets for the APE gig based purely on War on Drugs and Future Islands as living and working in Bristol I can't make their gigs in London this year. I have friends that rate the National very highly, where do I start with them? 

As others have mentioned, the last 5 albums are sublime. It's hard to pick a favourite, in fact I'd say at any one time all 5 have held the top spot when I rank them in order of greatness. 

My favourite is the one I listened to last.

My advice to a new listener would be to start with Boxer and just work your way through them in order - which is in effect what I did - and then go back to the earlier ones if you're hooked. But take your time with each one because they are all growers.

On 25/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

Picked up tickets for the APE gig based purely on War on Drugs and Future Islands as living and working in Bristol I can't make their gigs in London this year.

Same here. Missed the Ally Pally gig, but the The National, oh boy you're in for a treat.

Was hoping they would do a Clifton Downs festival like Elbow did this year. 

On 27/10/2017 at 9:12 AM, Diva Sam said:

Same here. Missed the Ally Pally gig, but the The National, oh boy you're in for a treat.

Was hoping they would do a Clifton Downs festival like Elbow did this year. 

I hope that downs gig comes back next year, I really enjoyed it, the lineup wasn't great and from where I was standing I seemed to be the only one who knew any Elbow songs outside of One Day Like This a Year, but it was nice to have an outdoor gig in Bristol.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

By the time they come back to London next summer all bets will be off with regards to set lists.

Such an exciting prospect. I'm a big advocate of mixing it up with every date and I hope its something that more artists look at doing.