The National

Zoo Music Girl

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Field Day is moving by the looks of it - got an email from them saying "Field Day is upping sticks" - but not sure where to. Don't think they've announced it.

Intrigued by this new fest, but The National didn't rock my world at the last gig and I assume this will be broadly similar, just with a shorter set, so will likely give it a miss.

Council docs suggest its going to Finsbury, and will be back to two days 

10 minutes ago, jjbeeson said:

Anyone know if this new festival will have that awful separate standing area at the front for VIP tickets holders that they have at British Summertime gigs?

Nah it's just a dedicated entrance and posh toilets/food/bars. Think Field Day had a similar thing tbh 

30 minutes ago, Rylbld9 said:

How quickly is the likely to sell out? Can't imagine it going too fast myself but I do really want tickets and funds are limited for a while. Absolutely cracking line up so far.

Quite late if at all. It's a massive gig for them. Personally I'm holding out and hoping to pick up a cheap one or a 2-for-1 deal or something.

11 hours ago, Rylbld9 said:

How quickly is the likely to sell out? Can't imagine it going too fast myself but I do really want tickets and funds are limited for a while. Absolutely cracking line up so far.

It'll sell quicker than you think I reckon. Capacity is 40k but they sold out 4 nights at the 5k Apollo pretty damn quickly, that's half the capacity right there.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It'll sell quicker than you think I reckon. Capacity is 40k but they sold out 4 nights at the 5k Apollo pretty damn quickly, that's half the capacity right there.

I was thinking this exact same thing. Surely with that line up it won't take long. 

I can't afford it for a month or 2 so going to have to wait. The bonus with the size of the crowd is that you'd presume there will be lots to pick up on Dice from the waiting list nearer the time. 

3 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Picked up tickets for the APE gig based purely on War on Drugs and Future Islands as living and working in Bristol I can't make their gigs in London this year. I have friends that rate the National very highly, where do I start with them? 

You can't really go wrong with any of the last five albums but I'd suggest Boxer or High Violet to start with, probably their best two and the easiest to get into.

28 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Picked up tickets for the APE gig based purely on War on Drugs and Future Islands as living and working in Bristol I can't make their gigs in London this year. I have friends that rate the National very highly, where do I start with them? 

I'm a fairly recent convert and found Boxer most accessible to begin with.

28 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

With 9 albums to listen to I should find something I like.

I thought it was 7? I wouldn’t bother with the first couple but as mentioned, all the last 5 are great and there’s no real consensus about which is best or more accessible.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sleep Well Beat

Sleep Well Mr. Beat

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

@GETOFFAMYLAWN champions the method of watching live shows to get into them. If the albums don't work, that is. If neither of those are satisfactory then we may have to operate.