The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah thanks. Is that the same Cat Power song they did  the other day? I don't know her/their stuff.

Setlist.fm reckons they've only played it once before, a couple of weeks ago in Cork: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2017/cork-opera-house-cork-ireland-1be2195c.html

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I saw him on that 2013, mad expensive but so worth it. I was actually waxing lyrical to my dad about how great he was, and how he's probably got another 10 years left in him only a couple of hours before the news broke that he'd died. I'm definitely in the school of see an artist when you get the chance and be thankful you did; I never made the effort to see Prince, but always assumed one day he'd be forced to chill the fuck out and put in an amazing Glastonbury headline slot which I'd be down the front for. Now I bitterly regret not shelling out the silly money for the Manchester Arena show I laughed at my friends for shelling out silly money to see.

Preach man. Prince never really got me like Leonard did - he'll always, regrettably, be top of my bucket list. 

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Anyone here seen Cave and The National yet this week?

Yep. Defo enjoyed Nick Cave more. Staggering gig. Seems like a bit of a lottery with these National setlists. Was pretty happy with the one we got, but would have been miffed at that one with no Alligator.

19 minutes ago, rjb94 said:

Yep. Defo enjoyed Nick Cave more. Staggering gig. Seems like a bit of a lottery with these National setlists. Was pretty happy with the one we got, but would have been miffed at that one with no Alligator.

Cheers - that's the answer I was hoping for! :) I'm in love with Skeleton Tree (It might even be my favourite album currently) so I've no real concerns about the setlist, I guess it's more about the venue and atmosphere for this one. I've got high hopes and don't want them to be dashed as the 2013 Cave tour was so freaking good.

The National were good last night, but I think the fact I don't personally really connect with the new album made those songs fall a bit flat for me. Definitely still feel left out of the love-in! Nice to see em doing so well though.

I've stayed clear of this thread for the last few days as I didn't want any spoilers regarding the set lists. As you all know I'm still new to The National party, six months ago I couldn't pick a single song of theirs out of a lineup, now I'm a full blown convert. Last night was my first time seeing them properly... and it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Setlist was front loaded with new album stuff, which was fine by me as I love SWB. Nobody Else Will Be There is a cracking opener and Guilty Party was chilling. An intense Afraid of Everyone was the early highlight. Later on there was a five song run that absolutely slayed me: All The Wine - Slow Show - Conversation 16 - Bloodbuzz Ohio - Carin at the Liquor Store. One of the best run of songs I've seen at any gig for ages. Mr November was expectedly brilliant and I finally see why everyone loves Pink Rabbits so much.

The whole thing was just fantastic, my one and only regret is that I sold my ticket. Would have happily gone back and watched it all again.

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Cheers - that's the answer I was hoping for! :) I'm in love with Skeleton Tree (It might even be my favourite album currently) so I've no real concerns about the setlist, I guess it's more about the venue and atmosphere for this one. I've got high hopes and don't want them to be dashed as the 2013 Cave tour was so freaking good.

The National were good last night, but I think the fact I don't personally really connect with the new album made those songs fall a bit flat for me. Definitely still feel left out of the love-in! Nice to see em doing so well though.

Did you ever see leonard cohen at the o2? He well and truly put to bed my fears that it is impossible to put on an intimate gig in that venue.

Nick cave will nail it, no doubt. I know what you mean though, skeleton tree songs in that venue feels so wrong. My only worry is whether or not to do an all dayer as it's a saturday gig, or whether to stay a bit sober to remember it...

I gave up my ticket for the national tonight to my friend. Recent setlists have made me feel a bit better about the decision, still gutted though. Monday's setlist has been the best one for me.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Did you ever see leonard cohen at the o2? He well and truly put to bed my fears that it is impossible to put on an intimate gig in that venue.

Nick cave will nail it, no doubt. I know what you mean though, skeleton tree songs in that venue feels so wrong. My only worry is whether or not to do an all dayer as it's a saturday gig, or whether to stay a bit sober to remember it...

I gave up my ticket for the national tonight to my friend. Recent setlists have made me feel a bit better about the decision, still gutted though. Monday's setlist has been the best one for me.

I did! Cohen was incredible. Pretty excited for Cave now, I have to say.

And weirdly I preferred The National O2 gig to last night, but again that's probably down to a better setlist for me.

TONIGHT!

Hoping for one of Geese of Bev Road or Daughters of Soho Riots, based on them both not being played last night.

Hopefully get Slow Show again.

To be honest, not too bothered, as you'll always get a couple you want and no more, such a huge number of songs that are great now, and I love the new album.

Not seen them since the High Violet tour as had a sprog born when they toured TWFM and couldn't be doing with travelling to that there London.

EXCITED!!

:-)

5 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

What time have they roughly finished the last couple of nights?

Sorry if it has been asked but have had to go to London and managed to pick up a ticket last minute, so just looking to find out if I can stay right until the end or not... 

Think it finished about 10.45 last night, but obviously takes a while to file out of the venue and get to the tube, so you may want to start edging towards the back. 

21 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I saw him on that 2013, mad expensive but so worth it. I was actually waxing lyrical to my dad about how great he was, and how he's probably got another 10 years left in him only a couple of hours before the news broke that he'd died. I'm definitely in the school of see an artist when you get the chance and be thankful you did; I never made the effort to see Prince, but always assumed one day he'd be forced to chill the fuck out and put in an amazing Glastonbury headline slot which I'd be down the front for. Now I bitterly regret not shelling out the silly money for the Manchester Arena show I laughed at my friends for shelling out silly money to see.

Agree totally with seeing who you can while u can but we all miss out on someone . I did pay the stupid money to see prince but was worth every penny I also paid even more stupid money to see kate Bush but waited 35 years for that . But deeply always regret missing the clash the smiths and talking heads for variety of reasons . 

On 26/09/2017 at 11:58 PM, Will-2609 said:

Good gig. Had no idea what the cover was and no one else seemed to be into it. Pointless waste of a slot when Mr November and bluddy Pink Rabbits weren't played.

Had to rush to London Victoria after and I haven't eaten since midday and I'm so hangry. Not gonna be home until 3am I reckon I'll have wasted away by then.

Did the same, ran for the megabus for bristol and missed it by seconds. Luckily there was a national express an hour later.

I feel like I should of bought a few nights cos of the rotation of all the TWFM/HV/Boxer tracks. But then again, its money I aint got. 

Good gig though!

I managed to hug Matt and tell him we love him when he was in the crowd after he lost his glasses during Terrible Love. Was awesome! He was so wet!

1 hour ago, donkeykong said:

Yeah really enjoyed it, good setlist (and a Queen cover) and Matt was on great form. 

Absolutely boiling and too many talkers but got better and better as it went on

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2017/eventim-apollo-london-england-be2451e.html

Oh man jealous of that Queen cover. And England. Lucky You can do one mind.

It was boiling wasn't it? Thought that was just me.

Fantastic gig! 

Thought the new songs were all ace - be interesting which ones make it into sets in future years. Day I Die, Carin at TLS, Guilty Party and This System... stood out for me. Didn't feel Dark Side of the Gym worked quite so well, and I love that tune, nor the title track (which I'm not too keen on anyway).

Great to hear Vanderlyle at the end - loved it. If they play 20 ish songs, 10 of which are new, you have 10 spaces left for what 6 albums? Of which I guess 2 or 3 are gonna always be played (Mr November, Bloodbuzz etc).... someone is always going to be disappointed on set lists! Regardless of 'could have played this' the gig was flipping great. Band seemed to be having loads of fun - loved the cheer for the solo in This System... Loved the (unexpected) singalong of Need My Girl. The Queen cover - a band having fun on their last night of a 4 night run. Buzzing this morning and going to listen to Alligator in full. 

9 hours ago, donkeykong said:

Yeah really enjoyed it, good setlist (and a Queen cover) and Matt was on great form. 

Absolutely boiling and too many talkers but got better and better as it went on

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2017/eventim-apollo-london-england-be2451e.html

23 songs - That gig went soooo quickly too.