The National

Zoo Music Girl

24 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I've got into this one much quicker than I did TWFM. It's now my go-to recommendation to people as their most immediate and varied album.

Same. Took me months to get into TWFM, though I love it now. Wasn't taken with the new one on my first couple of listens, but there's only a couple not doing it for me now. I'm fairly sure I'll end up liking it as much as the others (Boxer aside, which is on another level for me).

Not listened to the complete album start to finish yet, but 'The system only dreams in total darkness'  is easily one of my favourite songs of the year so far. Like 'Day I die' too, but wasn't massively keen on Guilty party or Carin at the liquor store. Think there's a chance they'll grow on me the more I listen to them, and listening to them as part of the whole album should help

So I officially declare this the best National album. It's better than Boxer.

Guilty Party is a perfect song, top 5 National, possibly top 3. Walk it Back grew to be one of my favorites, those last 2 minutes are just amazing. Particularly the "Don't go dark on me" verse, just purely emotional.

I like Turtleneck, reminds me of Nick Cave, but I could live without it on the album. It does offer a bit of variety though!

I also seem to like Born to Beg more than most people. The most obvious misstep here is the chorus of "Day I Die" - the drums, guitar and verses are all awesome, but this chorus is so mediocre.

Here's my song rankings from best to worst:

1. Guilty Party - 10/10
  2. Walk it Back - 10/10
  3. I'll Still Destroy You - 10/10
  4. Nobody Else Will Be There - 9/10
  5. Sleep Well Beast - 9/10
  6. System - 9/10
  7. Carin - 9/10
  8. Born to Beg - 9/10
  9. Empire Line - 8/10
  10. Gym - 8/10
  11. Day I Die - 8/10
  12. Turtleneck - 8/10

So pretty solid scores all around!

Rewatching the Glastonbury set, it's pretty great, I just wish I knew all those songs in real time. "Walk it Back" is still a weird choice for a festival set (despite it being a 10/10 in my book) and I still don't like the Turtleneck closer, although it allowed Matt to go crazy.

Edited by yaniv297

Empire Line is becoming one of my favourites on the album after initially not paying it too much attention. 

I’ve never known a band who’s songs can infect you on first listen, and then grow slowly on each listen thereafter until you end up loving them - regardless of initial reaction. 

It is the album I hoped it would be - and I think they’ve cemented their place as my favourite band out there right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

So I officially declare this the best National album. It's better than Boxer.

Guilty Party is a perfect song, top 5 National, possibly top 3. Walk it Back grew to be one of my favorites, those last 2 minutes are just amazing. Particularly the "Don't go dark on me" verse, just purely emotional.

I like Turtleneck, reminds me of Nick Cave, but I could live without it on the album. It does offer a bit of variety though!

I also seem to like Born to Beg more than most people. The most obvious misstep here is the chorus of "Day I Die" - the drums, guitar and verses are all awesome, but this chorus is so mediocre.

Here's my song rankings from best to worst:

1. Guilty Party - 10/10
  2. Walk it Back - 10/10
  6. System - 9/10
  7. Carin - 9/10
  8. Born to Beg - 9/10
  9. Empire Line - 8/10
  10. Gym - 8/10
  11. Day I Die - 8/10
  12. Turtleneck - 8/10

So pretty solid scores all around!

Rewatching the Glastonbury set, it's pretty great, I just wish I knew all those songs in real time. "Walk it Back" is still a weird choice for a festival set (despite it being a 10/10 in my book) and I still don't like the Turtleneck closer, although it allowed Matt to go crazy.

Carin is a 10/10, apart from that I pretty much agree with all of this.

9 hours ago, yaniv297 said:
  1. Guilty Party - 10/10
  2. Walk it Back - 10/10
  6. System - 9/10
  7. Carin - 9/10
  8. Born to Beg - 9/10
  9. Empire Line - 8/10
  10. Gym - 8/10
  11. Day I Die - 8/10
  12. Turtleneck - 8/10

Empire Line and Walk It Back are Top 2 for me although its The National at their best.  A track might start as a 7/10 and 2 weeks later it's 9/10 or 10/10.  The Top 12 will keep changing for me and can't wait for Sat!!!

19 hours ago, CHRLY said:

Fuckin alligator is so good, every single track bags. Would love it if they brought out geese of Beverly road/val jester/friend of mine in London as a surprise.

19 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Friend of Mine or Baby, We'll Be Fine would floor me

18 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Friend of Mine would be amazing. All the Wine and Daughters of the Soho Riots too, for me.

Pfft, of all Alligator rarities, Lit Up is at the top of the list. Then Daughters. Then Geese. Karen, City Middle.

Such a good album, gonna have to give her a whirl now.

19 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Just gets me right in the feels, you know? I never really know how to describe it but it's one of those songs that just makes me feel something. It's a feeling I only get from music, and only the odd song, but damn it's like I'm being overwhelmed by a million different super strong feelings at once. Unless you know the feeling I'm talking about I probably sound dumb as shit right now but yeah.

Other songs that do it to me are Let Down (obv), Straight to You and I Need You by Nick Cave, When Under Ether by Peej, and probably more I can't think of atm.

Pink Rabbits seems to be a strangely divisive song amongst The National fans on here. Seems like there's a group of us that class it as one of their best songs and then a group who are baffled by that.

Other favourite National songs for me include Lit Up, Daughters of the Soho Riots, All the Wine, Fake Empire, Slow Show, Apartment Story, Conversation 16, but Pink Rabbits definitely number one for me.

The one that baffles me the most is Abel. So average.

I'm with you. Pink Rabbits is the first thing my eyes flick to in a setlist. Think it's in their top 5 for me.

Played pretty much nothing but the album in preparation for Saturday. I’d have preferred to have saw them a little later after it’s release, feels like I’m cramming for an exam. Also, I’m hopeless at names of songs (byproduct of the streaming era) so I’ve no idea of some of the names of the songs I like.

Also, I’d wrote an impassioned defence of Pink Rabbits the other day at work, was interrupted and returned to find Will had posted the same opinion so I let it go. He’s right though, it’s cracking. On the Beats radio episode that has Matt talking about how cover versions can sometimes make you reevaluate songs - that’s exactly what the Caitlyn Rose version did for me with the song. When I returned to the original it was like I’d totally overlooked everything that’s great about it. 

I think the cover has been posted on here earlier, but any excuse....

10 hours ago, Tuna said:

Pfft, of all Alligator rarities, Lit Up is at the top of the list. Then Daughters. Then Geese. Karen, City Middle.

Such a good album, gonna have to give her a whirl now.

Haha oh shit I forgot about Lit Up. Yeah if they were to play ant rarity from any album that'd be my pick. Would probably be my 2nd pick out of all their songs after Pink Rabbits.

1 hour ago, lazzareo said:

I believe they played The Geese Of Beverly Road tonight!!! 

they did.

September 20, 2017 || Edinburgh, UK

Nobody Else Will Be There
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
Walk It Back
Guilty Party
I Should Live in Salt
Don't Swallow the Cap
Afraid of Everyone
Empire Line
Turtleneck
I Need My Girl
The Geese of Beverly Road
Apartment Story
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Green Gloves
Carin at the Liquor Store
Day I Die
I'll Still Destroy You
Fake Empire
Born to Beg
Mistaken for Strangers
Mr. November
Terrible Love

18 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

I never understand why people leave out Sleep Well Beast when discussing this run, it's an album highlight.

Because they don't like it as much as you?

It's OK, it works on the album, as a closer. But I wouldn't hurry to go straight to that track to listen to it. Fits well, but not a stand out, which each of 7-11 is. FOR ME. 

:-)