The National

Zoo Music Girl

Damn these setlists are looking good , really hope we get England at the first Eventim Apollo show,

September 18, 2017 || Dublin, Ireland
Nobody Else Will Be There
Day I Die
Walk It Back
Guilty Party
Sea of Love
Afraid of Everyone
Squalor Victoria
Empire Line
Turtleneck
I Need My Girl
The is the Last Time
All the Wine
Slow Show
Pink Rabbits
I'll Still Destroy You
Sleep Well Beast
England
Fake Empire
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Mr. November
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
Terrible Love

11 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

Damn these setlists are looking good , really hope we get England at the first Eventim Apollo show,

September 18, 2017 || Dublin, Ireland
Nobody Else Will Be There
Day I Die
Walk It Back
Guilty Party
Sea of Love
Afraid of Everyone
Squalor Victoria
Empire Line
Turtleneck
I Need My Girl
The is the Last Time
All the Wine
Slow Show
Pink Rabbits
I'll Still Destroy You
Sleep Well Beast
England
Fake Empire
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Mr. November
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
Terrible Love

Actually very similar to the Glastonbury setlist albeit with a bigger number of SWB and also a few more from Trouble Will Find Me. 

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I know I'm in the minority but Pink Rabbits wouldn't make it into my dream setlist. Not even in my top 5 choooons from TWFM. 

This. People here misguidedly think it's a career highlight, though. It's probably my least favourite song off TWFM. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

57 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't even know where to begin with this. So so so so so many better songs by The National.

Just gets me right in the feels, you know? I never really know how to describe it but it's one of those songs that just makes me feel something. It's a feeling I only get from music, and only the odd song, but damn it's like I'm being overwhelmed by a million different super strong feelings at once. Unless you know the feeling I'm talking about I probably sound dumb as shit right now but yeah.

Other songs that do it to me are Let Down (obv), Straight to You and I Need You by Nick Cave, When Under Ether by Peej, and probably more I can't think of atm.

Pink Rabbits seems to be a strangely divisive song amongst The National fans on here. Seems like there's a group of us that class it as one of their best songs and then a group who are baffled by that.

Other favourite National songs for me include Lit Up, Daughters of the Soho Riots, All the Wine, Fake Empire, Slow Show, Apartment Story, Conversation 16, but Pink Rabbits definitely number one for me.

The one that baffles me the most is Abel. So average.

49 minutes ago, CHRLY said:

Fuckin alligator is so good, every single track bags. Would love it if they brought out geese of Beverly road/val jester/friend of mine in London as a surprise.

43 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Friend of Mine or Baby, We'll Be Fine would floor me

Friend of Mine would be amazing. All the Wine and Daughters of the Soho Riots too, for me.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Just gets me right in the feels, you know? I never really know how to describe it but it's one of those songs that just makes me feel something. It's a feeling I only get from music, and only the odd song, but damn it's like I'm being overwhelmed by a million different super strong feelings at once. Unless you know the feeling I'm talking about I probably sound dumb as shit right now but yeah.

Other songs that do it to me are Let Down (obv), Straight to You and I Need You by Nick Cave, When Under Ether by Peej, and probably more I can't think of atm.

Pink Rabbits seems to be a strangely divisive song amongst The National fans on here. Seems like there's a group of us that class it as one of their best songs and then a group who are baffled by that.

Other favourite National songs for me include Lit Up, Daughters of the Soho Riots, All the Wine, Fake Empire, Slow Show, Apartment Story, Conversation 16, but Pink Rabbits definitely number one for me.

The one that baffles me the most is Abel. So average.

Oh yeah, I totally get that feeling. I feel it about plenty of National songs, and Nick Cave obvs. Just not that one. I actually find it quite dreary in places until the Los Angeles bit. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh yeah, I totally get that feeling. I feel it about plenty of National songs, and Nick Cave obvs. Just not that one. I actually find it quite dreary in places until the Los Angeles bit. 

Weirdly it was probably my least favourite song on the album when I first got it but it grew on me so much and before I realised it was my favourite by far.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Weirdly it was probably my least favourite song on the album when I first got it but it grew on me so much and before I realised it was my favourite by far.

Horses for courses innit. I think I only feel the need to argue it because there's so many of you with that consensus, haha!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

I think Abel was the first National song I heard. On the jukebox in a pub in Wakefield. I was more into straight up indie rock back then and it's shouty and easier to get into than the rest of the more downbeat stuff, so it got me into them enough to try their whole albums. I'll probably always keep it in my National playlist for that reason, even though without the nostalgia it probably wouldn't make the top 20.

10 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I think Abel was the first National song I heard. On the jukebox in a pub in Wakefield. I was more into straight up indie rock back then and it's shouty and easier to get into than the rest of the more downbeat stuff, so it got me into them enough to try their whole albums. I'll probably always keep it in my National playlist for that reason, even though without the nostalgia it probably wouldn't make the top 20.

First National song I heard was Fake Empire on the Reading 2011 coverage the day before I saw them at Leeds and fell in love with them despite knowing none of their music. They were so good.

Edit: Actually when they showed Fake Empire I remember I recognised the song, but that was the first time I'd knowingly heard anything by them.

Edited by Will-2609

On 9/14/2017 at 3:28 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Held off listening to leaks and that, Glastonbury aside, as I like to listen to the whole thing proper once it arrives.

Well, it's good, isn't it? Definitely like the new direction and some of the songs are achingly beautiful.

That said, their new albums are usually growers for me so I hope to - and expect to - like it more. It's probably number five in my current album list by a comfortable way. Really not keen on Turtle Neck and there's a couple of others that just don't grab me. Yet. 

Standouts are the singles and Guilty Party. And I like the closer too.

I look forward to seeing it live again with a bit more familiarity, but yeah, can't say I'm as giddy as you guys. I think The National have peaked for me. Comparing it to Skeleton Tree in terms of a favourite band's recent offering, well, there just is no comparison for me.

I've played it about 6 times now and I feel the same as you. It's quite literally "ok".

I know their albums are slow burners and it took me ages to get into the last one, but that had a few songs I really liked straight away, and most of the rest eventually caught up. But this one? There's nothing much there that stands out at all.

I think I might even sell my ticket for next week, I am skint and can't afford to pay for a gig where I wont really enjoy half the setlist. The glastonbury horror show is still fresh in my mind.

I'll probably kick myself in 6 month when it all makes sense, but oh well.

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I've played it about 6 times now and I feel the same as you. It's quite literally "ok".

I know their albums are slow burners and it took me ages to get into the last one, but that had a few songs I really liked straight away, and most of the rest eventually caught up. But this one? There's nothing much there that stands out at all.

I think I might even sell my ticket for next week, I am skint and can't afford to pay for a gig where I wont really enjoy half the setlist. The glastonbury horror show is still fresh in my mind.

I'll probably kick myself in 6 month when it all makes sense, but oh well.

I think I like it more than you do, and I have been listening to it a fair bit more, but I do know what you mean. It definitely doesn't have the appeal of TWFM, even given that that was a slow burn. I'm not sure if it's them or me that's changed, though. 

Selling your ticket seems a tad rash (the Apollo is a great venue for them!), but I'm sure you'd find a buyer... 

I didn't hate their Glastonbury set at all, though. Just wished I'd known a couple of the songs.