The National

Zoo Music Girl

Held off listening to leaks and that, Glastonbury aside, as I like to listen to the whole thing proper once it arrives.

Well, it's good, isn't it? Definitely like the new direction and some of the songs are achingly beautiful.

That said, their new albums are usually growers for me so I hope to - and expect to - like it more. It's probably number five in my current album list by a comfortable way. Really not keen on Turtle Neck and there's a couple of others that just don't grab me. Yet. 

Standouts are the singles and Guilty Party. And I like the closer too.

I look forward to seeing it live again with a bit more familiarity, but yeah, can't say I'm as giddy as you guys. I think The National have peaked for me. Comparing it to Skeleton Tree in terms of a favourite band's recent offering, well, there just is no comparison for me.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Standouts are the singles and Guilty Party. And I like the closer too.

Guilty Party was tbe second single, no?

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Comparing it to Skeleton Tree in terms of a favourite band's recent offering, well, there just is no comparison for me.

Aoty 2016 and aoty 2017 :thumbsu:

I love this album. I listened to the vinyl leak and before that I listened to youtube rips of live versions of most of the songs for over a year, so maybe it's already got past its "grower" stage for me because I loved it on first listen and every listen since. I can't name which tracks are my favourites because it's basically all of them, even Turtleneck. The weakest imo are Born To Beg (nice but doesn't really go anywhere) and, perhaps controversially, TSODITD (maybe I overplayed it but I wasn't that into it at first either).

It's a 10/10 from me.

For reference:
Trouble Will Find Me 10/10
High Violet 10/10
Boxer 10/10
Alligator 10/10
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers 7/10
The National 5/10

Edited by dj_tim

23 minutes ago, dj_tim said:

I love this album. I listened to the vinyl leak and before that I listened to youtube rips of live versions of most of the songs for over a year, so maybe it's already got past its "grower" stage for me because I loved it on first listen and every listen since. I can't name which tracks are my favourites because it's basically all of them, even Turtleneck. The weakest imo are Born To Beg (nice but doesn't really go anywhere) and, perhaps controversially, TSODITD (maybe I overplayed it but I wasn't that into it at first either).

It's a 10/10 from me.

For reference:
Trouble Will Find Me 10/10
High Violet 10/10
Boxer 10/10
Alligator 10/10
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers 7/10
The National 5/10

Don't forget Cherry Tree EP,  also a 10/10!

Thought I'd revisit Sampha again after his win last night. 2 songs in and I switched over to Sleep Well Beast. I love Samphas album but I just can't get enough of SWB at the mo.

The opening 4 tracks is possibly the best they have on any album, although Boxer may just be better, it's very close though.