The National

Zoo Music Girl

10 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

front will usually be full of people waiting for a headliner. we were just outside the pit barrier and surrounded by fans and nice and busy.

Been in similar spots for subs like Tame Impala for instance and the atmosphere was great. Completely wrong slot for The National. 

IF they ever come back to the farm (although I'm not convinced tbh) they need to be Park headliner and nothing else. 

Stick them against some popular Radio One act on the Pryamid and Other Stage, and if you got just the fans there - and it would be magical. 

40 minutes ago, st dan said:

IF they ever come back to the farm (although I'm not convinced tbh) they need to be Park headliner and nothing else. 

Stick them against some popular Radio One act on the Pryamid and Other Stage, and if you got just the fans there - and it would be magical. 

They don't want to play exclusively to their own fans though. That's what their gigs are for.

Matt indicated on stage that the band were honoured to play the Pyramid and is also quoted as saying it was an audition for headlining. They haven't just been slung out in front of Foo Fighters fans against their will, and if anything their failure to win people over is their own fault.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They don't want to play exclusively to their own fans though. That's what their gigs are for.

Matt indicated on stage that the band were honoured to play the Pyramid and is also quoted as saying it was an audition for headlining. They haven't just been slung out in front of Foo Fighters fans against their will, and if anything their failure to win people over is their own fault.

I've actually got to agree with this, although no idea really if they won anyone over or not. Anecdotal evidence on this thread suggests a couple of heads were turned.

For me though not up there with their great performances. Roll on September.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've actually got to agree with this, although no idea really if they won anyone over or not. Anecdotal evidence on this thread suggests a couple of heads were turned.

For me though not up there with their great performances. Roll on September.

Well I certainly got a lot more hyped about the new album, but I'm a fan anyway. I was with a friend who didn't really know them and he absolutely loved it.

Having never seen them before and only getting into them over the last few months due to praise on here I really enjoyed the set at Glastonbury. Was near front and most of people around me were fans so that obviously helped. Judging them on their records - last two albums only, I thought they would be a more subdued/quieter live experience and was pleased to see that they rocked the place. Goindg to see them in September so excited by the thought that the performance will be even better.

On 11/07/2017 at 8:29 PM, kingcrawler said:

https://www.sofarsounds.com/s/63d576f2209ee46adb1a3bba

Secret gig in Edinburgh on the afternoon of the first night there. Doubt I'll bother applying for it as I have LCD the night before and I'm going on the second night but decent for anyone heading on the first night. No idea where it could be though, would imagine somewhere pretty small and mainly new songs.

Thank you! I had no money when the tickets went onsale so unless any spares turn up near the time, this is possibly my best chance.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

Long shot but if anyone gets stuck with 2 tickets for Manchester Apollo either night let me know :D

Alright mate, I have two and am planning to go at the minute, but we are moving in to a new place around this time so if plans change nearer the time I will PM details. 

Good luck finding some if I do end up going!

(They are for the Saturday btw)

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jobseeker said:

Alright mate, I have two and am planning to go at the minute, but we are moving in to a new place around this time so if plans change nearer the time I will PM details. 

Good luck finding some if I do end up going!

(They are for the Saturday btw)

Great many thanks hope you get to go but I'm happy to take them if you can't 

There are a lot of people viewing the set as a triumph, including the NME below, I am a big fan and really enjoyed it, but I was with five people who were not aware of them, but I had been doing a sell on them. 

What is the purpose of a band like The National at Glastonbury, is it to please an existing fan base or to convert the people who have heard of them but are not experts in their back catalogue. 5 tracks out of 12 from a yet to be released album may not be the best way to convince the waverers.

i think they could have done a more "populous" set, playing some more accessible tracks like Vanderlyle, I should live in salt  or Pink Rabbits.

i am not sure they have won over my group, but was that the purpose?, I will also not be giving up in my campaign to convert.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/national-debut-new-songs-triumphant-glastonbury-appearance-2093292

To be fair, I saw The National at a few festivals before they really hooked me in 2013/4  (definitely Rock Werchter 2008, and Glasto 2010.  Maybe others? I can't remember).  They've never been the most compromising band in festival sets.  Looking back at the setlists, they played a bunch of great songs, but at the time I remember thinking they were bland.

Edited by fowls

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They supported before didn't they? Swear it was them in Ally Pally.

Personally I'm pretty meh about them, but sure plenty will be pleased!

You are correct. I was also somewhat indifferent last time, but TITK just released a new one. Guess it'll make me listen to it, like. Bit naff having the same support tho int it.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah, I reckon. Mates, aren't they? Maybe label mates too?

Yeah, think Bryce was involved with production. They're playing The National-curated Pitchfork Paris day, as well as Haven.