The National

Zoo Music Girl

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No, no, I don't hate it. But it's way down there on that album for me.

Agree about Vanderlyle too I think. Need a more intimate fan-based crowd for that one.

Chill out, I can be intimate

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Yeah Pink Rabbits is getting played and it's gonna be beautiful. 

Yes.

It's just so beautifully synthy and lugubrious. Like honey pouring onto fruit. Although honey isn't that synthy I guess (and I'm not sure I 100% know what lugubrious means). Stand by the simile though.

7 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Possibly the band I'm most excited to see who I don't necessarily expect to get a rousing response. Hope they do, mind!

Remember when everyone was saying to put KP beneath them was madness? Those first week album sales for Witness point to Glasto having got it spot on in terms of a British demographic.

Surely declining KP album sales will still dwarf what the National sell on their next record? Not complaining just not sure I get the logic

10 hours ago, DGrant261 said:

Surely declining KP album sales will still dwarf what the National sell on their next record? Not complaining just not sure I get the logic

It's more the question of up front impact. First week sales nearly always come from the die hards and before any album has a price cut. Case in point, Biffy Clyro's last record sold half the number their previous did last summer when opening at number one - but quick cuts from £10 down to £7 then £5 by retailers means it's tracked only slightly behind Opposites after a raw sales year. So you could make the argument that first week sales - at full price - capture your die hard nucleus of fans fairly well. 

Declining album sales between now and 2013 definitely play a part - but Perry's latest opened on 16,153. For contrast, Alt-J - another band with arena status at the farm - sold 16,119 for Relaxer. Both, you would have thought, would have retained some level of strong commercial clout - but below 20K is a bit of a let down for both, arguably. 

The National haven't really got any bigger since 2013 - to me at least - but nor do I see them being badly affected by the general decline in the markets. Trouble Will Find Me opened on 21,034 four years ago - I think 20k or so for Sleep Well Beast will be around the mark. 

• Upvote 1

Having never seen The National live or heard much about them before they are now a must see band for me. From a quick glance through at everyone's set list predictions can I assume 'Humiliation' almost definitely won't be played? One of my favourites at the moment (which is changing daily).

11 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

It's more the question of up front impact. First week sales nearly always come from the die hards and before any album has a price cut. Case in point, Biffy Clyro's last record sold half the number their previous did last summer when opening at number one - but quick cuts from £10 down to £7 then £5 by retailers means it's tracked only slightly behind Opposites after a raw sales year. So you could make the argument that first week sales - at full price - capture your die hard nucleus of fans fairly well. 

Declining album sales between now and 2013 definitely play a part - but Perry's latest opened on 16,153. For contrast, Alt-J - another band with arena status at the farm - sold 16,119 for Relaxer. Both, you would have thought, would have retained some level of strong commercial clout - but below 20K is a bit of a let down for both, arguably. 

The National haven't really got any bigger since 2013 - to me at least - but nor do I see them being badly affected by the general decline in the markets. Trouble Will Find Me opened on 21,034 four years ago - I think 20k or so for Sleep Well Beast will be around the mark. 

I happily stand corrected :) Have a good festival mate

14 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

I'm making an assumption we ain't getting the Paris setlist from last night. I only know about half the tracks. What do you think?

Yeah far too much new shit for the Pyramid and missing out on a load of bangers. Think/hope what we'll get will be very different. 

1 hour ago, lazzareo said:

I'm making an assumption we ain't getting the Paris setlist from last night. I only know about half the tracks. What do you think?

Titles in the comments; They're going to release their best album and the best album of the year !