The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just now, Will-2609 said:

I'd drop Secret Meeting or Abel for it. Don't get why Abel is a favourite of so many.

Abel is a massive banger that'll get the whole field going and Secret Meeting is probably my personal favourite National song. All the Wine, while ace, doesn't beat either of em really.

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Abel is a massive banger that'll get the whole field going and Secret Meeting is probably my personal favourite National song. All the Wine, while ace, doesn't beat either of em really.

Best song on the album along with the undisputed best National banger Lit Up imho.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

I dont think crybaby geeks would go down that well to a subheadliner crowd. If they were headlining a stage that'd be a different matter

I dont really get the love for pink rabbits on here either. I'll be amazed if they play it.

I actively hope they don't play Pink Rabbits. So many better songs.

Come at me.

everytime i come to this thread it's with the intention of grandly declaring i'm gonna bin the national off in favour of full sets from avalanches & solange...and everytime i see you discussing setlists it bucks everything back into extreme indecision. i'm so torn

18 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I dont think crybaby geeks would go down that well to a subheadliner crowd. If they were headlining a stage that'd be a different matter

I dont really get the love for pink rabbits on here either. I'll be amazed if they play it.

Played it at p much every gig last year.

If I was to take a guess at the setlist, I'd go with:

1. Don't Swallow The Cap
2. Bloodbuzz Ohio
3. The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness
4. Sea of Love
5. Squalor Victoria
6. New Song
7. I Need My Girl
8. Fake Empire
9. New Song
10. Mr. November
11. Terrible Love
12. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

"How The National can defy expectations and absolutely smash their Pyramid sub slot, a guide in fifteen steps"

1. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
2. Lit Up
3. Bloodbuzz Ohio
4. Don't Swallow the Cap
5. Secret Meeting
6. Terrible Love
7. Sea of Love
8. Fake Empire
9. Pink Rabbits
10. I Should Live in Salt
11. Slow Show
12. Abel
13. Mistaken For Strangers
14. Mr November
15. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

cut Lit Up, Secret Meeting, VCG.

can't see them getting 15 songs into an hour.

I'd probably put Afraid Of Everyone in for Pink Rabbits too given the slot...

So, a month on from my National revelation I've been listening to them fairly obsessively (their four albums and A Seat at The Table are my five most listened to albums of the last month according to my phone) and I think I have a definitive order:

Boxer

Alligator

High Violet

Trouble Will Find Me

Top Five Tracks:

Green Gloves

Mr November

Graceless

Mistaken For Strangers

Racing Like A Pro

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No, no, I don't hate it. But it's way down there on that album for me.

Agree about Vanderlyle too I think. Need a more intimate fan-based crowd for that one.

Agree Pink Rabbits

Disagree Vanderlyle. Was lovely at Latitude. Also lovely in big outdoor gig in Melbourne.

8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Agree Pink Rabbits

Disagree Vanderlyle. Was lovely at Latitude. Also lovely in big outdoor gig in Melbourne.

Headline set at Latitude though, wasn't it? And the gig would have been fans only. I can't see the whole singalong bit coming off well with the casuals in a daylight slot.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Headline set at Latitude though, wasn't it? And the gig would have been fans only. I can't see the whole singalong bit coming off well with the casuals in a daylight slot.

Aye. Last time I saw them was as a sub at a festival and they closed with Terrible Love and didn't play Vanderlyle. Hope they don't do it this weekend, either.