The National

Zoo Music Girl

1 hour ago, CajunMoon said:

That's great thank you. I don't usually ask for song recommendations as it kind of defeats that personal connection with an artists music, but... having only discovered them (where have I been really?!) and such little time to fully appreciate a vast back catalogue before June I thought it best to get recommendations from their hardcore fan base :) 

My intro to The National and my main favourites over the last few years started and grew to something like this over time, although they are a band where songs grow on you and faves change frequently.  But if I had to pick a Top 15 of my faves (order is my introduction to the songs rather than where they rate from 1 to 15):

1. England
  2. Runaway
  3. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks
  4. Abel
  5. All The Wine
  6. About Today
  7. Start A War
  8. Fake Empire
  9. Mr November
  10. Humiliation
  11. Pink Rabbits
  12. Heavenfaced
  13. Demons
  14. Lean
  15. Graceless

• Upvote 1

On 21/04/2017 at 10:54 AM, CajunMoon said:

That's great thank you. I don't usually ask for song recommendations as it kind of defeats that personal connection with an artists music, but... having only discovered them (where have I been really?!) and such little time to fully appreciate a vast back catalogue before June I thought it best to get recommendations from their hardcore fan base :) 

As a selection of my favourite tracks to try out, hit up Pink Rabbits, Lit Up, Slow Show, Fake Empire, Karen, All the Wine, Mr November, Apartment Story, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Lemonworld, Conversation 16. Not really sure on the chances of them all being played but they're all brilliant songs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Congrats on the ticket @e2p2! As for the tune, who knows. They haven't played it live since '09 anywho. 

Thanx, I'm still shocked :)

Regarding that song, I know they aren't playing it live but I was referring to the lists I read here. Some of those lists were wishlists and I noticed that no one mention this song at all. SFATB is the reason I finally gave a proper listen to the National back in 08.

On 17/04/2017 at 7:07 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

I can never decide where to place Alligator. I fucking LOVE Mr November, Lit Up, Daughters and All The Wine, all four are probably in my top ten, but the whole album doesn't feel as cohesive as Boxer or High Violet. It definitely could be my favourite album, but I don't think it is.

Not sure what this adds to the debate actually. This isn't the best post I've ever made tbf

I would put Alligator higher than High Violet (Boxer and Cherry Tree are my favourite National cd's)- something about High Violet doesn't quite click. I really really like 'City Middle' and am ashamed of you all for not acknowledging that song for the masterpiece that it is!

5 hours ago, e2p2 said:

Now that tickets are sorted out (I cant believe it!), I can move on to the 2nd important thing: How come there's no love to So Far Around The Bends? :huh:

Me too! (managed to get tickets today in the resale) I'm so happy I can now switch to fretting about The Nationals stage day/time and the potential Radiohead and Flaming Lips clash!

The National headlining JP in 2008 was one of my favourite ever Glastonbury sets. My first time seeing them.

2008 wasn't a great year for music, looking back at the line up, must have spent a lot of time at The Park and Other Friday and Saturday, and not much stands out (remember enjoying Dizzee, Hot Chip, CSS). So to have The National ending on a set of Alligator and Boxer was very welcome and the perfect way to end. Fake Empire into Mr November to end the set.

Saw them at the Royal Festival Hall and Royal Albert Hall (around the General Election time) before the Other Stage set, in the Friday heat, that year. Watched this set further back.

2017 on Pyramid? Shame it's not Sunday Other headline, but it'll be great i reckon. A lot of anticipation for them to play Glastonbury again. Just get towards the front few thousand people. We'll all know every word.

9 minutes ago, fingers_mark said:

The National headlining JP in 2008 was one of my favourite ever Glastonbury sets. My first time seeing them.

2008 wasn't a great year for music, looking back at the line up, must have spent a lot of time at The Park and Other Friday and Saturday, and not much stands out (remember enjoying Dizzee, Hot Chip, CSS). So to have The National ending on a set of Alligator and Boxer was very welcome and the perfect way to end. Fake Empire into Mr November to end the set.

Saw them at the Royal Festival Hall and Royal Albert Hall (around the General Election time) before the Other Stage set, in the Friday heat, that year. Watched this set further back.

2017 on Pyramid? Shame it's not Sunday Other headline, but it'll be great i reckon. A lot of anticipation for them to play Glastonbury again. Just get towards the front few thousand people. We'll all know every word.

I think they'd be perfect on Park stage - a singalong to Vanderlyle on Park would be incredible - just because I know so many won't have a clue who they are playing so high on Pyramid.

But then that's the beauty of Glastonbury, I've discovered so much music I'd never have bothered listening to before I saw it there so maybe others will too

I'll be there down the front anyway!

Edited by kaytee...

3 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Any further evidence to this effect or still pure guesswork?

The xx are subbing Radiohead and Biffy are subbing Ed Sheeran so it seems highly likely that the 3 acts following the headliners on the poster are the 3 subs in order.

Edit: And the Other headliners are Major Lazer, alt-J and BBK, so the only position they could be other than Foos sub is 3rd Pyramid, but the poster makes it seen like they're a lot more likely to be Foos' sub.

Edited by Will-2609

On 23 April 2017 at 6:53 PM, Will-2609 said:

The xx are subbing Radiohead and Biffy are subbing Ed Sheeran so it seems highly likely that the 3 acts following the headliners on the poster are the 3 subs in order.

Edit: And the Other headliners are Major Lazer, alt-J and BBK, so the only position they could be other than Foos sub is 3rd Pyramid, but the poster makes it seen like they're a lot more likely to be Foos' sub.

Wrong call by those booking the stages for me. Anyone who's been to see their live shows over the past decade will know they're a dish best savoured over time and not rushed. Plus with half a dozen new album tracks to throw into the mix and a crowd getting ready for the Foo Fighters on the Pyramid… Delighted they're playing, but that's not the right slot for them. 

5 minutes ago, Dog Burger said:

Wrong call by those booking the stages for me. Anyone who's been to see their live shows over the past decade will know they're a dish best savoured over time and not rushed. Plus with half a dozen new album tracks to throw into the mix and a crowd getting ready for the Foo Fighters on the Pyramid… Delighted they're playing, but that's not the right slot for them. 

Yep should be headlining Other on Sunday. Or even just swap em with alt-J.

After everyone's recommendations way back when on poster day I have been listening non stop to Boxer, High Violet and TWFM. 

My favourites from them at the minute would probably be: Pink Rabbits, Slow Show, This Is The Last Time and Afraid of Everyone.

Ive completely fallen head over heels for Matt's glorious mumble. BUT, typically it seems I may have diddled myself with clashes for the Saturday now. 

If I wanted to see these acts on Saturday who would be in trouble with seeing these guys for clashes?

The Moonlandingz, Toots, Avalanches, FJM, Solange & Jacksons.

4 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

After everyone's recommendations way back when on poster day I have been listening non stop to Boxer, High Violet and TWFM. 

My favourites from them at the minute would probably be: Pink Rabbits, Slow Show, This Is The Last Time and Afraid of Everyone.

Ive completely fallen head over heels for Matt's glorious mumble. BUT, typically it seems I may have diddled myself with clashes for the Saturday now. 

If I wanted to see these acts on Saturday who would be in trouble with seeing these guys for clashes?

The Moonlandingz, Toots, Avalanches, FJM, Solange & Jacksons.

Seems like The National will clash almost directly with The Avalanches at the moment, probably this forum's biggest clash overall actually. I guess Father John Misty could be on around then but I think he'll be a bit earlier, so apart from The Avalanches you should be safe.

14 hours ago, Dog Burger said:

it is still guesswork based on rumour and supposition though. I'm still holding out hope for an other stage headlining set.

The strong rumours of band placings have been wrong many times in the past.