The National

Zoo Music Girl

27 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Right, so if The National end up as Pyramid sub where is the best place to stand to have a bit of atmosphere rather than be surrounded by people chatting/sitting on chairs + blankets/facing the wrong way/waiting for the main act?  

I've been stung too many times at the Pyramid by the unresponsive or disrespectful crowds (Vampire Weekend, Last Shadow Puppets, Jack White, Kanye West) and I've tried lots of different spots.

Any tips?

Right up there - Matt usually comes out into the crowd, so hopefully there'll be a hardcore following up at the barrier / inside the circle.

22 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Loving the fact that, in essence, arguing/guessing where the National are going to play has now taken over at least three threads on here! 

All I'm saying is - if people could stop making predictions or guesses that don't place them exactly where I want them to be, that'd be great.

17 minutes ago, rjb94 said:

on them playing the Cave slot, I reckon he gives less of a shit about where he plays than The National. Probably relishes the challenge of an uninterested crowd.

True dat. His 2013 appearance was a masterpiece of take-no-prisoners confrontation - 'From Her To Eternity', 'Deanna', 'Jack The Ripper', 'Tupelo' - he wasn't out to make friends with all the straw-hat wearing Mumfords' tossers - he was out to make them bleed from the ears.

Just now, cassiel1972 said:

True dat. His 2013 appearance was a masterpiece of take-no-prisoners confrontation - 'From Her To Eternity', 'Deanna', 'Jack The Ripper', 'Tupelo' - he wasn't out to make friends with all the straw-hat wearing Mumfords' tossers - he was out to make them bleed from the ears.

Yeah, he bloody loved it and turned it into an opportunity. Crowd was shite where I was and this still might be my favourite gig of theirs.

The National, I just can't see nailing that slot. But I still think they'll be in it, if they're not headlining Other, which sounds unlikely.

A lovely warm-up gig in London would ease the blow, for sure.

The National always seemed to have passed me by, despite being on the ballpark of 'stuff that I like' so since they've been announced I went on a proper listening spree.

My feelings are as follows:

1. HOW HAVE I MANAGED TO NOT GET THEM ALL MY LIFE? I've missed out on years of listening and gigs. Dammit. 

2. Excited that I'll maybe get to see them at Glastonbury 

3. Worried about clashes

It's been a rollercoaster of a day. Still, now I have a new band that I like with a big enough back catalogue to lose myself in. 

Does this mean I'm part of the club now?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, bethannny said:

The National always seemed to have passed me by, despite being on the ballpark of 'stuff that I like' so since they've been announced I went on a proper listening spree.

1. HOW HAVE I MANAGED TO NOT GET THEM ALL MY LIFE? I've missed out on years of listening and gigs. Dammit. 

3. Worried about clashes

It's been a rollercoaster of a day. Still, now I have a new band that I like with a big enough back catalogue to lose myself in. 

Rule #1: Crying is a must.

10 minutes ago, bethannny said:

3. Worried about clashes

I had exactly the same feelings when finding Cut/Copy. It is a bitter sweet experience. On one hand you are buzzing to have discovered them, yet you feel like you have missed out on something and can't quite put your finger on it.

42 minutes ago, bethannny said:

3. Worried about clashes

Group hug!

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Better than subbing Ed I think but still the potential for nobbers talking over the quiet bits. 

Yeah it's far from ideal, but I'm not sure that them subbing Radiohead would be that much better. Maybe a bit. Why don't we think it's Friday again? Sorry...

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it's far from ideal, but I'm not sure that them subbing Radiohead would be that much better. Maybe a bit. Why don't we think it's Friday again? Sorry...

On the poster it goes The XX - The National - Biffy Clyro, so, it looks like it's in day order.