The National

Zoo Music Girl

17 hours ago, Tuna said:

This is a live session from 2005. There's some real spite in the lyrics when they're sung in person, and a real majesty to the lyricism, which has not faulted in 12 years. Certainly a different animal in person to on record. If this doesn't get you I doubt they're for you. 

@CHRLY yes we did! Are you going this year @Dog Burger? Also shoot us a link to your site.. 

15 hours ago, evannn said:

If you feel like you want to give them another try, listen to Abel or Mr November from the album Alligator. 

For the longest time I didn't like the National, except for Abel. It was the one song that stood out above what I thought was a one-dimensional band. Their music for the most part is a slow grower imo

Right fellas I have listened to the video posted and recommendations and it is really not for me. The singer puts me off. It is as if he only has one speed and nothing ever changes. The timbre of his voice is not very nice. His voice reminds me of John Squires from when he did his solo album. He has no problem singing in key but there is no timbre to it.

I gave it a go anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, eastynh said:

Right fellas I have listened to the video posted and recommendations and it is really not for me. The singer puts me off. It is as if he only has one speed and nothing ever changes. The timbre of his voice is not very nice. His voice reminds me of John Squires from when he did his solo album. He has no problem singing in key but there is no timbre to it.

I gave it a go anyway.

Well done for trying! Horses for courses innit. Berninger possibly has my favourite voice - I could just melt into it.

I feel almost certain that The National will sub Radohead and The xx will play the Other on Sunday. I get the arguments that are being made for the reverse of that, but I just can't see it. The xx playing a 90 minute slot in the dark, in front of a packed Other stage field makes all the sense in the world. The obvious crossover between fans of The National and Radiohead makes that a really awesome, and sensible booking for the Friday night.

If you take The xx as Other stage headliners, the 2nd line of the poster makes sense with The National, Biffy and Katy P as subs. I think The xx are where they are on the poster because they will technically be in the fourth biggest slot of the weekend and be given psuedo headliner status on the Other stage.

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

I feel almost certain that The National will sub Radohead and The xx will play the Other on Sunday. I get the arguments that are being made for the reverse of that, but I just can't see it. The xx playing a 90 minute slot in the dark, in front of a packed Other stage field makes all the sense in the world. The obvious crossover between fans of The National and Radiohead makes that a really awesome, and sensible booking for the Friday night.

If you take The xx as Other stage headliners, the 2nd line of the poster makes sense with The National, Biffy and Katy P as subs. I think The xx are where they are on the poster because they will technically be in the fourth biggest slot of the weekend and be given psuedo headliner status on the Other stage.

I also have an inclination that Radiohead may have had a say in The National being booked. They were able to request their own sub in 2003, and would imagine they'd still be extended that courtesy as 'friends of the festival'. Would also tie in with why The National, who had previously stated they were only doing their own festival, have changed their tune and decided to play.

Might be complete bollocks of course, but Radiohead requesting them might have been the nudge required for them to play the festival when it's looked like a non-starter for years.

40 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think they will put Biffy up against Ed !

9 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

I was thinking the same today we seem to have them almost nailed for the Sunday night, but I see no reason why they can't go opposite foos. 

Really hope they sub Pyramid. 

Just a thought where would we have them placed had they not been so high on the poster..

Having headlined Latitude last year and it looks like being a one off gig for them I don't see em accepting anything than a headline slot .  

I will go with The National headlining The Other on the Saturday with Alt-j Subbing em.  

Looking at the poster Alt-j are quite low down .

On 31/03/2017 at 1:43 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Fuck me. When he falls over near the end...... Brilliant. 

Just watched this, can't remember seeing it before. It's great :lol:

I'm sure it's simply down to Radiohead being confirmed for months but I'm now probably as excited about The National as I am them. 

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

I also have an inclination that Radiohead may have had a say in The National being booked. They were able to request their own sub in 2003, and would imagine they'd still be extended that courtesy as 'friends of the festival'. Would also tie in with why The National, who had previously stated they were only doing their own festival, have changed their tune and decided to play.

Might be complete bollocks of course, but Radiohead requesting them might have been the nudge required for them to play the festival when it's looked like a non-starter for years.

Pretty sure they never said that. They said it was their first announced show of the year. We'd ruled them out because of the Primavera booker saying they're not touring Europe this Summer, but I said not long ago that maybe they could be convinced to do Glastonbury as a one off knowing that the festival isn't on next year when they will be touring.

44 minutes ago, ivan said:

And I think The National will headline The Other on the Saturday.

Cant see why The XX would headline The Other again .

10 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

I was thinking the same today we seem to have them almost nailed for the Sunday night, but I see no reason why they can't go opposite foos. 

Really hope they sub Pyramid. 

Just a thought where would we have them placed had they not been so high on the poster..

Before the announcement we had info that alt-J would headline Other against Foos, and with their only free day being Saturday that will surely check out. They played Pyramid last time too so a switch to Other would make a lot of sense.

Biffy under Foos makes so much sense, too. With such well fitting acts on the bill to go below the three headliners I can't see it being anything other than The xx/National below Radiohead, Biffy below Foos and Katy Perry below Sheeran. People say about them putting unsuitable acts under the headliners because of crowd churn but I don't think they do this anymore tbh. The last 3 years they've had the 3 subs below the most fitting headliner, and one-twos like Elbow > Arcade Fire, The Black Keys > Kasabian, Pharrell > Kanye, Weller > The Who and Foals > Muse would be very similar to the ones I mentioned above. Obviously ones like Tame Impala > Adele and Beck > Coldplay are odd ones but there weren't really any better options within the acts on the bill (other than having Goulding above Beck but I assume he must have demanded a bigger slot).

2 minutes ago, ivan said:

Having headlined Latitude last year and it looks like being a one off gig for them I don't see em accepting anything than a headline slot .  

I will go with The National headlining The Other on the Saturday with Alt-j Subbing em.  

Looking at the poster Alt-j are quite low down .

They're next to Major Lazer who will defo headline Other.

5 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

The last 3 years they've had the 3 subs below the most fitting headliner, and one-twos like Elbow > Arcade Fire, The Black Keys > Kasabian, Pharrell > Kanye, Weller > The Who and Foals > Muse would be very similar to the ones I mentioned above. Obviously ones like Tame Impala > Adele and Beck > Coldplay are odd ones but there weren't really any better options within the acts on the bill (other than having Goulding above Beck but I assume he must have demanded a bigger slot).

So what you are saying, there is no real pattern to the subs and how they are chosen? :P