The National

Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I've never seen them compared to either of those bands before you mentioned it earlier :lol: 

I have just been googling bands this afternoon to try and find some stuff that appealed to me on the line up. Was reading their Wiki page and it said it on there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_(band)

7 hours ago, jparx said:

Still can't believe they're on the poster. I was hoping for a big surprise, but as Will said in the other thread I had completely discounted any chance of the National. Great job Eavii. I bow down to your ability to book a fucking awesome lineup once again.

This now means over the past 2 festivals, 3 of my top 10 bands will have played. Tremendous.

When the poster popped up they were the first band I saw. There was a big moment of disbelief then I carried on reading. 

Still can't believe the 3 bands I want to see live the most (National, Lips and Radiohead, I'm discounting Daft Punk as it'll never happen!) are on the same line up. 

21 minutes ago, dougal1 said:

So happy about this news! Just really hoping for a better show than 2010 other stage - I personally found it so disappointing, Matt's voice on Mr November being case in point. Anyone else find that?

Yep I agree entirely. I was really looking forward to it, but it was a massive let down. He came across as a complete tit too. Just overdid the booze I think. Gorgeous weather though! 

I have seen them since and they were infinitely better though so I have no worries about this year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, eastynh said:

I have just been googling bands this afternoon to try and find some stuff that appealed to me on the line up. Was reading their Wiki page and it said it on there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_(band)

This is a live session from 2005. There's some real spite in the lyrics when they're sung in person, and a real majesty to the lyricism, which has not faulted in 12 years. Certainly a different animal in person to on record. If this doesn't get you I doubt they're for you. 

@CHRLY yes we did! Are you going this year @Dog Burger? Also shoot us a link to your site.. 

1 hour ago, nickharley said:

Feel the same about the 2010 gig, dare I say he seemed pretty f*cked, but I'm not letting that stop me. I've watched them a few times since on youtube and hope that what we saw is just an outlier. 

I thought they were okay, but I don't think the sun blazing directly onto his face for the whole gig helped his performance. I was lucky that year as I had missed out on the Royal Albert hall gigs (couldn't afford it), but somehow stumbled onto tickets for their secret warm up gig in some tiny venue in Camden for £10

2 hours ago, dougal1 said:

So happy about this news! Just really hoping for a better show than 2010 other stage - I personally found it so disappointing, Matt's voice on Mr November being case in point. Anyone else find that?

I just remember being properly starstruck when he jumped over the barrier right by me.

45 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I thought they were okay, but I don't think the sun blazing directly onto his face for the whole gig helped his performance. I was lucky that year as I had missed out on the Royal Albert hall gigs (couldn't afford it), but somehow stumbled onto tickets for their secret warm up gig in some tiny venue in Camden for £10

I went to that. I've got a photo of Matt when he went on a little wander with me and my mate in the background as we found a little ledge to stand on for the gig. No idea who took the photo, found it on a National messageboard I think. It was weird when he popped up next to us!

18 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

I just remember being properly starstruck when he jumped over the barrier right by me.

Must have been near our group! 

I thought they were great at Glasto to be honest. I think our whole group were together, the weather was glorious, it was just one of those times when everyone was loving the moment.

1918242_432851457048_6763780_n.jpg

9 hours ago, eastynh said:

Did not say it is pants mate, just not my thing. It is the total opposite of things I generally like. I can appreciate they are talented musicians. Yet it  was a little too one paced and very little in the way of hooks and melodies.

If I am going to listen to darker type stuff I like it with a little grunt. Stuff like Depeche Mode's - Songs of faith and Devotion and Puressence - Only Forever. Both darker and atmospheric type albums but both full of real emotion.

If you feel like you want to give them another try, listen to Abel or Mr November from the album Alligator. 

For the longest time I didn't like the National, except for Abel. It was the one song that stood out above what I thought was a one-dimensional band. Their music for the most part is a slow grower imo

I thought 2010 was great - cracking day! Were Phoenix on after them? I remember it being the same afternoon but might be wrong. 

GUTTED I will miss them this year. Oh well, some west country warm up dates would be nice. :-)  

Hope they don't put them on the Pyramid for you fans - they'll get lost amongst the chatters / day trippers etc. Late on the Other or JP I reckon. 

Made an efestivals account just to post in this thread.

the national are without doubt my favourite band - I really hope they play:

bitters and absolut,

90 mile waterwall,

available,

all dolled up in straps,

lit up,

baby, we'll be fine

abel

all the wine

mistaken for stranger

slow show

start a war

graceless

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

2nd 3rd  down pyramid Friday.

Won't headline Other cause nobody would be there and won't  will sub pyramid cause there's already 3 bigger subs  they're the best.

fixed.

Edited by Diva Sam
  • Upvote 3