The National

Zoo Music Girl

Thinking about this over the course of the day has lead me to the following conclusion:

They have to sub Radiohead. I love the National, but if they headline the Other stage after the dance fest of Gibb, Chic and Katy Perry on the Sunday, it would be a really weird dynamic. I'd much rather have The xx there so it can be a day boogying. It'll be hard to manage intoxication levels going from such an upbeat, lively party to the quiet solemn reflection of the National.

Just my two cents. It'll be amazing either way, but if I was in charge that would be my decision.

Sunday Other headliner is the absolute dream.

Pyramid sub would be great for their 'brand' and help push the next album in the UK but too often the Pyramid subs are spoiled by huge crowds of people just drinking, chatting, waiting for the next band and I really don't want that to be my experience of The National at Glastonbury.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Thinking about this over the course of the day has lead me to the following conclusion:

They have to sub Radiohead. I love the National, but if they headline the Other stage after the dance fest of Gibb, Chic and Katy Perry on the Sunday, it would be a really weird dynamic. I'd much rather have The xx there so it can be a day boogying. It'll be hard to manage intoxication levels going from such an upbeat, lively party to the quiet solemn reflection of the National.

Just my two cents. It'll be amazing either way, but if I was in charge that would be my decision.

I dunno, Foals into Portishead on the Other in 2013 worked just fine and I'd say The National's live shows are far more uplifting than you'd guess from the records.

1 hour ago, Vanderlyle said:

There's an article someone written by some Americans who put the 32 top National Songs in tournament brackets. I think they possibly seeded them somehow. 

Then for each knock-out match up they listened to each one three times and so on until quarters, semis and the final. Not too many decisions I'd disagree with. Might dig it out once I have a break from work...

34 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

I need to see this!

I got you - https://wishdafishwasme.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/the-national-bracket/

Also, paging @Dog Burger.

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

anyone got the bootleg of the lollapalooza gig from a couple of years ago? It's well ace. I'd take it.

Would love to track this down, any help would be appreciated?

Also the Sydney opera house show recently uploaded to youtube again is an absolute must watch, if only for the version of Humiliation

15 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

While I reckon The National are suited to Other more than Pyramid, how feels-tastic would The Lips >The National > Radiohead be?  (Plus it'd mean i could do my must-sees all in one sitting with no clashes and then throw time out the window for the rest of the weekend)

You need more must sees!

The National into Radiohead would just be fantastic. I had that down as an early prediction which was more of a [great white] hope and still proper surprised they're there. I do think it'd be one of the worst-attended Pyramid sub slots in recent memory but Tame Impala was too and they smashed it.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You need more must sees!

The National into Radiohead would just be fantastic. I had that down as an early prediction which was more of a [great white] hope and still proper surprised they're there. I do think it'd be one of the worst-attended Pyramid sub slots in recent memory but Tame Impala was too and they smashed it.

Tame Impala was so good. But there was alot of people just waiting for Adele and not giving a shit about the wonder that was on stage already!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Was just going ro give these a listen after having read they sound like Joy Division and Depeche Mode. Your description there is not sounding too enticing though.

Where should I start? Is there any with some bollocks like Songs of Faith and Devotion by DM? 

38 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You need more must sees!

Nah!  3 is plenty musts.  Everyone else I want to see is second tier priority and subject to change on the day depending on mood.  

1 hour ago, Diva Sam said:

Tame Impala was so good. But there was alot of people just waiting for Adele and not giving a shit about the wonder that was on stage already!

the overlap between The National- and Radiohead-fans should be a bit bigger though

1 hour ago, wosman said:

Would love to track this down, any help would be appreciated?

Also the Sydney opera house show recently uploaded to youtube again is an absolute must watch, if only for the version of Humiliation

Your wish is my command

http://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-national-live-lollapalooza-festival.html?m=1

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CHRLY said:

I can't remember who it was who pointed out the 'one for us' Sunday Other headliner trend recently, but yeah that.

Not sure if you're referring to this but at the beginning of 2017 speculation I asked for someone on Sunday Other (Bon Iver/NIN/The National) to continue my run of ending the festival on a big highlight at the Other Stage, after Massive Attack, Chems, LCD (and also said I'd have been there for the same slot in 2013 and 2011).

Anyway, at first I wasn't sure which way round these guys and The xx would end up between Friday sub and Sunday Other headliners, but I'm leaning more towards these guys being on Other now. And it'd be the most perfect way to end musical proceedings for the weekend. Feel like crowd-wise it would make much more sense. The National on Other would get a similar crowd to LCD I reckon.