The National

Zoo Music Girl

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Didn't they headline JPT  in 2008? Like nine years ago. Although I think that's quite a small slot for sigur ros too. 

I saw that show and the one in 2010. They've only had one album since then and they did a festival exclusive at Latitude I believe. It's not like they've been passed over, they've just not toured much. Maybe this year when they tour the new album but I fear they might be more likely to do festival next year when Glastonbury is having a rest.

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Didn't they headline JPT  in 2008? Like nine years ago. Although I think that's quite a small slot for sigur ros too. 

I think so, I was there, but the crowd for the National didn't even fill the JP stage (which was smaller then than it is now), if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think so, I was there, but the crowd for the National didn't even fill the JP stage (which was smaller then than it is now), if I remember correctly. 

Indeed. Sunday night. Tent wasn't full. It was a cracking set. Half and half split of Boxer and Alligator. Spiritualised on before them too.

3 hours ago, Pilgrim S said:

I saw that show and the one in 2010. They've only had one album since then and they did a festival exclusive at Latitude I believe. It's not like they've been passed over, they've just not toured much. Maybe this year when they tour the new album but I fear they might be more likely to do festival next year when Glastonbury is having a rest.

I don't think it's a big conspiracy or anything, but definitely have been missed opportunities. They've toured the area consistently since 2010. In 2011 they were playing festivals in Amsterdam in June, in 2013 they had a big European tour in June including a date in Ireland and a UK date that clashed with Glastonbury, and in 2014 they played Denmark and Germany in June. That's why it a constant debate on here. Personally I think they just haven't agreed with the festival on maybe fees or position. 

Opera House gig was brilliant....i think the version that I watched when it was first up on YouTube had The War on Drugs' "Brothers" as either the song they came on to, or the one before...sounded great across such a lovely setting on what seemed to be a beautiful night

as Kingcrawler says, a tough band to place at any festival in the UK, but Glastonbury is the best match surely, but where/when? I know that Matt Berninger name-dropped Michael Stipe during the 2010 Other Stage set (the sunglasses quip)  but does anyone know if they're close to Radiohead in anyway?? that'd be an angle for a sub spot...No way they'd take a John Peel headline set again after the tiny crowd of '08...was that sunday against The Verve then? I wasn't there that year but that's a tough clash right there for me, esp with Leonard Cohen before. I'd have skipped them too...

they keep busy though despite gaps between albums. Their take on "Morning Dew" is my favorite of all that I've heard from the Day of the Dead compilation. I'm always torn between the studio or live versions

5 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Their take on "Morning Dew" is my favorite of all that I've heard from the Day of the Dead compilation. I'm always torn between the studio or live versions

That Day of the Dead compilation is excellent, I reckon. One of the very best 'tribute' albums I've heard. My favourite is that version of Loser by Ed Droste and Binki Shapiro.  Absolutely stunning

https://bleep.com/artist/51766-ed-droste-binki-shapiro-friends

I saw the National sub at Reading (either 2011 or 2012, can't remember offhand). I wasn't impressed by the complete lack of stage presence and have never paid attention to them since (Disclaimer:  I was massively inebriated at the time),

However... I've given them a listen on Spotify today and found I actually quite liked it :)

10 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I saw the National sub at Reading (either 2011 or 2012, can't remember offhand). I wasn't impressed by the complete lack of stage presence and have never paid attention to them since (Disclaimer:  I was massively inebriated at the time),

However... I've given them a listen on Spotify today and found I actually quite liked it :)

I think they've got much better in that regard. I saw them at glastonbury in 2010 (on the other stage, or whenever it was) and I thought they lacked charisma and charm. But then I saw them headline latitude last year and it was a fabulous performance. 

I would say they are well worth giving another chance to.

18 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I was at the show as well it didn't work for whatever reason. All I can say is to try again, they won't disappoint. Russy knows!

31 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

The slot and festival was just wrong for them in my opinion. I still enjoyed it, which is what mainly matters to me. 

11 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

The slot and festival was just wrong for them in my opinion. I still enjoyed it, which is what mainly matters to me. 

I enjoyed it as well, the two times I've seen them since then they were better but that run of 3 bands at the end of Reading were great for my tastes.

40 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I think they're definitely one of those bands who reward a bit of pre-gig material familiarity. The (intentionally) dour tone with Matt's baritone delivery are tricky for the uninitiated casual listener, but a completely different entity when you know the stuff. And they've developed as a live act, yes.

Ben

Was ambivalent towards High Violet when friends pushed it on me, same with Boxer. It was only chancing a listen to Allligator that turned it around, loved that and gained a new-found obsessive admiration for Boxer through to TWFM. Only seen them the once at Manc Apollo in 2013 but it was incredible. Fond memories of the acapella Vanderlyle and crowd sing-a-long. 

The Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks singalong at the end of the Latitude set last year was proper spine tingling stuff, that show was like a perfect example of what you're looking for when you go to watch some live indie rock, just completely nailed it. I went into that gig a sort of casual listener, and I only really made the effort to listen because they were playing Latitude, and I came out the other side of it a complete convert. I still only really like High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me though, Boxer and Alligator just kind of go in one ear and out the other for me (except for Fake Empire and Mistaken For Strangers, which are wonderful).

23 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I used to be a bit  like that with alligator (Boxer was my first) but one day it just clicked. It's a sit dowwn with headphones and no distractions and concentrate job.

How the hell do Karen and Abel go in one ear and out the other though? You weirdo.

And Start a War Fgs! 

Im glad I'm not the only one who had the same moment.

use to think they were just your run of the mill American Indie Rock Band.

Then one day I was listening to them and it all just clicked into place and now they're one of my favourite ever bands.

For me to see them at the farm again would be my absolute Glastonbury dream.

Ooh a National love in? Sure, why not. 

I first heard them when High Violet came out, Runaway and Terrible Love absolutely blew me away. Couldn't believe it when I realised how many albums they'd released prior to that. Fell in love with Alligator and Boxer almost straight away, Alligator probably still stands apart as my favourite but the standard is so high across their albums its tough to pick a fav. 

Funnily enough I've been listening to them again quite a bit recently, I've been saying for the last few years that I've struggled to get into Trouble Will Find Me as much as the others, put it on in a conscious effort to give it another go and was singing along to pretty much every track. I think Mrs Antilles has had it on more than I'd realised I've been enjoying it subconsciously. 

I probably don't give them enough credit but there's very few bands out there making music today that I enjoy as much

Be part of the conversation at #NationalLoveIn

Loved them since High Violet release, having heard Boxer a bit.

Hard to put their albums in order, but I particularly love High Violet and TWFM because I listened to them so religiously for weeks after release. 

High point for me was probably being singing Mr November straight into the mic for a good 20 secs with Matt during the Roundhouse gig just before Glastonbury (2014?).

Edited by Vanderlyle

I don't really have a definite order of preference in terms of The National albums but I think High Violet is probably my favourite. Almost every track could be a stand out moment on another album imo.

Also a special shout out to Pink Rabbits on TWFM being a banger of the highest order despite TWFM probably being the album of theirs I like the least (discounting the first two as I haven't listened properly to them).