The National

Zoo Music Girl

They were very good but a mid-afternoon open air set on a souless outdoor stage in a heatwave wasn't their prime environment.

Agree re the Other stage being a soulless field, especially on a hot afternoon. But it was still amazing, Matt came right out into the field, the sound was actually really good (we were central, in front of sound stage, but not quite where he got to on his wander).

As a gang most of us agree the Other is our least favourite venue, but it has hosted some good stuff e.g. The National, Flaming Lips, Stranglers (also v hot - thought the band might expire!!), Elbow at sunset, etc.

haha nah chance of that one happening. They won't generate big enough crowds.

I'd see pixies but not the national, they bore me a bit. I can't see them getting a pyramid slot at all.

I reckon quite a few would be happy with them both topping one day of other.

pixies on other, national on jp? could happen?

I think they could headline Other Stage. It may not be a massive crowd but would be pretty special nonetheless

Noones mentioned Slipping Husband off Sad Songs, the song that got me into the National long before I heard Alligator or Boxer

Enjoy the gig, doesn't matter where they play it will be amazing. Wonder if they'll turn the amps off like they did at Brixton a couple of years ago! Maybe a bit too big ;-)

Got Alligator on now. It may be usurping Boxer and Trouble. Better than I remember. Will let you know later. Am having another productive evening at work. Alligator through to Trouble Will Find Me.

Bryan Devendorf is a great drummer.

My Mind's Not Right,

My Mind's Not Right,

My Mind's Not Right,

My Mind's Not Right,

My Mind's Not Right,

My Mind's Not Right.

Damn you Scruffy! How am I supposed to stop coming here when you post agreeable stuff like this? That 'My mind's not right' repetition is what The National are all about for me.

This time next week :)

The National and Arcade Fire are probably the top two bands I'd ideally love to see at Glasto next year. Probably the only two bands I'd be devastated to miss if they played.

Can't complain though since I get to see both this month anyway, in some of my favourite venues too. Glastonbury would just be the cherry on the cake really.

The best song i've ever seen live by The National is 'Secret Meeting'. They don't seem to do it anymore..

The last time I seen them (2011) they played it. Briliant song. They actually played a fair amount of old stuff at that same gig

Looking at the setlist now, we got...

Secret Meeting

Lucky You

Son

Available

and a few more from Aligator.

I suspect all the oldies have now been dropped now though as Trouble Will Find me songs are obviously now in the set.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

If you didn't come here you wouldn't know I'd posted it!

Just started Trouble will find me and I've decided that the whole Boxer vs Alligator vs High Violet is a load of old bollox. I refuse to grade them. They're all ace and that's all that matters. The trinity of Conversation 16, England and Vanderlyle is an unbelievably strong ending to an album though! Not many could top that. Especially in today's world of best songs first as determined by the record companies.

This thread and the Arcade Fire one are my babies - I started them so I feel a responsibility to check up on their progress. Plus I'm seeing both bands next week :D so this is legitimate prep for that. I do have to try to stop coming here though - it's bad for my mental health. I might be a masochist but it's like hitting myself over the head with a brick with 'You're not going to Glastonbury' written on it.

Anyway, you're still wrong. The order of quality for those four The National albums is very definitely chronological. End of. Listening to Alligator now in fact and it's heaven in an album. Having said that, I do adore all four as well and don't really mind what they play. Hopefully Abel though.

That review did whet my appetite, thank you. That's the gig that clashed with Glastonbury 2013 I believe, otherwise I would have been there like a shot.

They are a difficult band to get and I don't know why. Hardly anyone I know likes them. That's kind of why I started this thread, to commune with others from the fanbase. They're possibly my second favourite band right now.

if you stop coming here you'll miss the "how to get tickets for 2014 GUARANTEED!" thread.....

Well maybe I'll just become a creepy lurker. That's what I used to do before I joined. I'd been reading this drivel for a couple of years before feeling the need to dive on in. It was a simpler time.

(Not that this thread is drivel per se, but in general I mean.)