BoomTown 2014

Guest 5co77ie

Thursday is smaller stages.. usually with devil kicks dancehall being the biggest. Lots to see and do. Hard to know who is playing without checking each individual act... quite often it's bands that will play again over the weekend...

that said there is so much to see that as much time to take it in as possible is desirable.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thanks festifreak. I'm a bit gutted about the idea of missing thursday night but it'll be nicer to rock up together. I think... Most of the people I'm excited about seeing are smaller groups (of the gypsy/ska/weird/world music kind of persuasion), but if they're likely to play again that's not such a bad risk :)

There isn't anywhere I can view the programme online is there?

Hello, I'm new here... I've been googling around trying to find out who's playing on Thursday night... My partner's found she can't get away from work in time to get there in time for the 10pm shut-off :(

I could get an earlier lift with mates, but I'd rather travel with her. What is thursday night like? Will I be hugely missing out? And does anyone have a clue who'll be playing?

Many thanks

Dorje x

Holly Cook is playing at 7pm tonight, apparently (from her facebook).

If you don't know Holly, she does a great take on melodic reggae (while remaining 'credible'). I like her albums. :)

Holy schmoly.

Back - feeling sorry for anyone who didn't get offsite before 12 as it then chucked it down :( harsh

But in summary - mental, absolutely batshit crazy mental. Not for kids, not for newbies, not for the faint hearted or unprepared. Unlike anything I've experienced before really. A town full of BOOM and surprise after surprise, one mahoussive party with friends that I giggled and danced around like a mad thing helplessly. No pop - just reggae, ska, folk, psytrance, punk, techno, hip hop and more reggae with one overriding factor - as my newly-found wonderful hilarious friends bellowed as one on friday morning - LET'S GET SOME BASS!!!!!

The lows first - some spectacular but not ruinous weather and Shaggy throwing a sulky fit.

The highs - too many to mention but top billing goes to Jimmy Cliff for a gobsmackingly energetic performance closing out the Lion's Den Sunday night and the lovely hilarious citizens of Boomtown who made it really very very special. When an insane place like that can go utterly silent for a minutes respect for one of Mungo's Hi-Fi's crew who'd died only days before it's pretty moving shit.

Bring on chapter 7 :D

Shout out to Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance with whom I volunteered scanning staff/crew/artist wristbands and who were all just lovely people - if you're a local please donate, they're a tightly run charity that really does save lives all the time providing a service the government should be doing!

Edited by frostypaw

Unprepared?

If you turned up to it as your first festival expecting just amazing set design, street/interactive theatre fun and some fun live bands you'd be in for a hell of a shock though a mostly good one. Also it's not a particularly sober event to put it lightly - albeit in an incredibly friendly way. It's still a pretty young festival, average age maybe 25ish and they party hard. Edited by frostypaw

Holy schmoly.Back - feeling sorry for anyone who didn't get offsite before 12 as it then chucked it down :( harshBut in summary - mental, absolutely batshit crazy mental. Not for kids, not for newbies, not for the faint hearted or unprepared. Unlike anything I've experienced before really. A town full of BOOM and surprise after surprise, one mahoussive party with friends that I giggled and danced around like a mad thing helplessly. No pop - just reggae, ska, folk, psytrance, punk, techno, hip hop and more reggae with one overriding factor - as my newly-found wonderful hilarious friends bellowed as one on friday morning - LET'S GET SOME BASS!!!!!The lows first - some spectacular but not ruinous weather and Shaggy throwing a sulky fit.The highs - too many to mention but top billing goes to Jimmy Cliff for a gobsmackingly energetic performance closing out the Lion's Den Sunday night and the lovely hilarious citizens of Boomtown who made it really very very special. When an insane place like that can go utterly silent for a minutes respect for one of Mungo's Hi-Fi's crew who'd died only days before it's pretty moving shit.Bring on chapter 7 :DShout out to Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance with whom I volunteered scanning staff/crew/artist wristbands and who were all just lovely people - if you're a local please donate, they're a tightly run charity that really does save lives all the time providing a service the government should be doing!

Sure was one hell of a weekend, I left site just after 10am today so managed to dodge the rain.

Having missed the Thursday meet it was good to bump into a few eFests people on Saturday, but unfortunately our paths didn't cross, unless you scanned me in of course?! I have some very good friends who work for the Hants & IoW Air Ambulance, one of whom I'm going to End Of The Road with at the end of the month. It was all a bit last minute for me volunteering for bar work this year, but I might look into volunteering for them myself in future.

Got back this morning......woke up at 6.30am and decided to bail straight away to avoid the traffic.

Well it was utterly bonkers, 8 lads went (ages from 28-36) and none of us felt out of place, or old (bit of a worry before we went) camped in wild west/old town where it was a bit more chilled.

Definatly not for the faint hearted and Shaggy was bloody awful!!!

Will definatly try for tickets again next year........although the sanitation leaves a lot to be desired.....hardly any toilets which led to lots of people peeing in the bushes and trees.

Edited by gooner1990

Having missed the Thursday meet it was good to bump into a few eFests people on Saturday, but unfortunately our paths didn't cross, unless you scanned me in of course?! I have some very good friends who work for the Hants & IoW Air Ambulance, one of whom I'm going to End Of The Road with at the end of the month. It was all a bit last minute for me volunteering for bar work this year, but I might look into volunteering for them myself in future.

That's good to hear - they had a great time and it makes good money for the charity so they are looking to expand on it next year - go for it! I'll be volunteering again I think, got quite a buzz from all the meet and greet malarkey of it including talking down some irate folk chancing it or being bad-cyclists and felt useful doing the cat-herding activity of being one of the oldies in the group. Only three of them ended up in medical lol (nothing naughty, just high wear-and-tear shall we say)

I was only doing lunch covers during the fest so would be a tiny chance and tbh I'm not all that sure I remember what you look like.... - miraculously I was on when Neil and Kizzie came through which was a lovely surprise :)

Was my 1st Boomtown (being used to Glasto, Boomtown is COOOOOOOMPLETELY DIFFERENT)

Things I loved..

The madness

THE FRIENDLY PEOPLE - they were everywhere and this was lovely (noticeably more friendly than some I have encountered at Glasto)

The fancy dress and the performers which stay in character & can completely freak you out in a good way :0))

The night time music

The effort that goes into creating such a crazy lil town

Things I wasnt crazy about

The music during the day... all we could find was reggae and ska (this isnt a boomtown criticism this was just not to my taste & I didn't realise that this was all there would be (unless I was missing something?)

The toilets OH LORDY THEY WERE MINGTASTIC in our campsite by Friday AM overflowing.

The alcohol restrictions - 16 cans of larger all wend & no spirits allowed as the bars are advertised as being cheap - the bars were not cheap and most were not even open until Friday PM (which I believe is a council restriction?)

We had bluegrass, cowpunk, ciderpunk, scrumpy and western on up in Rusty Spurs Club- not one iota of ska!!

Was my 1st Boomtown (being used to Glasto, Boomtown is COOOOOOOMPLETELY DIFFERENT)

Things I loved..

The madness

THE FRIENDLY PEOPLE - they were everywhere and this was lovely (noticeably more friendly than some I have encountered at Glasto)

The fancy dress and the performers which stay in character & can completely freak you out in a good way :0))

The night time music

The effort that goes into creating such a crazy lil town

Things I wasnt crazy about

The music during the day... all we could find was reggae and ska (this isnt a boomtown criticism this was just not to my taste & I didn't realise that this was all there would be (unless I was missing something?)

The toilets OH LORDY THEY WERE MINGTASTIC in our campsite by Friday AM overflowing.

The alcohol restrictions - 16 cans of larger all wend & no spirits allowed as the bars are advertised as being cheap - the bars were not cheap and most were not even open until Friday PM (which I believe is a council restriction?)