Sziget 2014

Uncle Liam

I suppose we can have wishlists, but what the bookers need to learn it's all very well and good having wishlists but you need to figure out who is actually on tour.

As I said in the other thread, it's all very well and good saying you asked Foster the People and Interpol to play, but if neither band are touring...

I'd like to see Arcade Fire again though.

Maybe the organisers can get the good bands from the 2011 lineup back, rather than what they did this year and get all the mediocre ones back. Interpol, White Lies, Manics, British Sea Power, Chemical Brothers... that'll do for me!

Sadly, I suspect the move away from rock/music music & towards dance/pop is here to stay ..... It'll be interesting to see what the first announcements look like - not holding my breath, through ......

Maybe. But numbers were down this year and the orgaisers will need to ask theirselves why.

True - as I say, it'll be interesting to see the contents of the first announcement.

I think part of it (and maybe I'm wrong) was to replicate something along the lines of a Dutch Carnival atmosphere. We might think it was crap, but loads of people enjoyed the colour party, although way too dusty for me.

What absolutely HAS to go is that ridiculous show above the mixing desk at the mainstage, repetitive and that bastard tune is still stuck in my head.

I think the list they put out of bands they had is interesting. I suppose we have no option but to take their word for it that they did ask those bands to play. But they must have learnt something from the derisory crowds that Mika, Biffy Clyro and David Guetta drew that something has to be done about that. I was down the front for Nick Cave so can't comment but I don't think that had a massive crowd either.

Hi

I never been in Sziget or even in Hungary

seems like a really good festival and if next year there will be

a good lineup I will consider to buy ticket and I'm already thinking of taking an hotel room with free cancellation option

can anyone suggest me hotels near the festival site?

are there hotels within a walking distance to the site?

I don't need something fancy just hot shower and 2 beds...

also how far is the city center from festival area?

thank you all

Edited by amfest12

• 3 weeks later...

Well, those dates would work very well for us - just waiting to see the shape for that first announcement ....... Here's hoping they've changed the dates to help them book some decent bands! :D

I would like to add a little insight into the whole Sziget festival experience if I may.

Having attended the festival this year (2013) both positives and negatives are reasonably fresh in my mind. Firstly I would like to make everyone aware of what an amazing city Budapest is irrespective of the festival.

We went for the whole 7 day experience but decided that camping was going to be to much on our old bodies so checked into the IBIS central for the duration. On the Sziget website it heavily promotes the "City Pass" which is good if your planning to visit spas or take a stroll through the cities zoo, but if, like us you just want transport to and from the festival your best of buying the cheaper 7 day Metro/ Train pass for 4950 Forint (£15) Available at all Metro stations.

In last years thread there is a lot of negativity surrounding the lack of big name acts which is understandable but once at the festival itself I didn't hear anyone complain about the line up. Biffy The Editors and Franz were the three stand out bands for me and worth the admission alone! Another thing people need to be aware of is the sheer amount of stages with bands from all different genres, so if a headliner doesn't take your fancy have a look at your Sziget passport (which is free and in English) and try a little band in a little tent and reap the rewards of finding your next favourite band. (Inbred Knucklehead for me on the Italian stage)

Do you ever feel rich? thought not! Well it may be possible at Sziget. A pint of beer will cost 600 Forint (£2) real good quality food from Indian to Italian and everything in between will cost 2000 Forint (£5) My favourite was the chicken and peppers on skewers with a massive dollop of mayonnaise, delicious for festival food.

I was a little concerned about not being able to pay with cash and using the card system but it works really well and generally speeds up the process of paying. Top tip is not to buy or top your card up at the first top up booths once inside the festival site, there are many top up booth further inside the site with much smaller queues.

This is so much more than just a music festival, its a whole different experience to anything you will have ever been to before, Its hard to explain it on here without it sounding naff, I suppose its a little like a carnival just 10 times better. The atmosphere is fantastic the attitude is none existent the Hungarian females are hot as hell. With all that in mind I can safely say its the best festival in Europe and have no hesitation in recommending it to all who will listen.

SG

Can't comment on Ibis Central, but we were at Ibis Heros Square in 2012. Really nice hotel, reasonably priced and in a great location. We cabbed it to the festival each night, which, I seem to remember, was the equivalent of about 8 pounds each way and took about half an hour.

there goes my plans to go from Sziget to Frequency... :sarcastic:

when usually first names are up and main announcement?

and when do we know which bands will play in which day? does it immediately when they confirm or closer to festival time?

You don't want to go to Frequency anyway. It's a right dump. Horrible festival.

When I heard St. Polkten in central Austria, I was thinking tree's, forests, culture etc. Nah, it's on a dusty abandoned industrial estate right next to the autobahn.

Be interesting to see what Sziget do this year. In hindsight, the 2013 lineup wasn't THAT bad, (although the mainstage was stale at best). Triggerfinger and Skip and Die were two of the festival highlights for me. They openly admitted that they had fucked up on that Q&A they did, so I think they might be booking earlier than usual. The deserted crowds at the main stage will surely have to be avoided.

Probably best not trying to book bands who aren't actually touring though.

IBIS central is a long way from the festival site, two separate Metro rides and a train up the Danube. Somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour, and unless your planning on leaving the festival early you'll have to catch a taxi back to the hotel in the evening which well set you back around 3000 Forint.

Next time I would look for a hotel closer to the festival possibly on the Buda side of the river as that is the side you gain entry to the festival (as you look at the map of Budapest its the area west of the river).

I guess its about the amount of cash your happy to spend on accommodation and transport but I would advise you to look at other hotels rather then the IBIS central.

Hope that helps.

it is thank you, that's what I'll probably do

can you answer me the questions that I asked before?

*when usually first names are up and when is the main announcement?

*when do we know which bands will play in which day? does it immediately when they confirm or closer to festival time? (not talking about timetable for each day)

I'm asking because I saw that day ticket aren't expensive so maybe if I'm not interested on the lineup for each day I can buy several day tickets