My review...for what it's worth...

Guest liarliar

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of comments from the facebook page which shed some light on the capacity.

Faecbook user: this this year's Licence Permission was for 14,000

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.jsp?mediaid=180590&filetype=pdf

Not entirely clear if that is tickets or all people on site?

End Of The Road Festival Hi David. This year 2013 we only had 500 more than in 2011. Our capacity will be the same in 2014

End Of The Road Festival Hi, the campervan field has moved because more and more people are choosing to stay in live in vehicles than in tents, so more space and facilities are needed. Our licence increase granted this year is actually to be taken over 3 years and also takes in added staff for our expanding numbers of bands and worship offerings. There are actually very few extra public tickets available.

A couple of comments from the facebook page which shed some light on the capacity.

End Of The Road Festival Hi David. This year 2013 we only had 500 more than in 2011. Our capacity will be the same in 2014

End Of The Road Festival Hi, the campervan field has moved because more and more people are choosing to stay in live in vehicles than in tents, so more space and facilities are needed. Our licence increase granted this year is actually to be taken over 3 years and also takes in added staff for our expanding numbers of bands and worship offerings. There are actually very few extra public tickets available.

Edited by Neville Street

Here's some of my thoughts on this year.

Capacity: Anyone who thought it was no more crowded than last year must be (i) the holder of the EOTR Dr Goebbels PR award 2013 or (ii) a week early for Bestival. I arrived a few hours earlier than last year, and my customary spot (wide open spaces last year) was already pretty full. Still pretty peaceful at night, so no complaints there. Very slow service in the bars, food queues. Progs sold out early. Capacity has been more than reached.

Food: Bacon and egg sandwiches from the tea bus still the best. Prices for food more than just creeping up, I thought.

Wasps: A lot of wasps around this year, and very little done to solve this problem. We know flies are attracted to yellow and so it makes sense to issue stewards with those yellow jackets to draw them off, but this doesn't work for wasps. The solution seemed clear from the buzz around the preserves table at the tea bus in the mornings: next year stewards should be instructed to rub jam in their hair and stand a little further away.

Music:

Friday:For the first time in five years I made it in time to catch the very first act, Widowspeak, though sadly they weren't too memorable: where's a Woodpecker Woollams heads-upper when you need one? My Friday afternoon was the pretty much disrupted by intrusive work issues, compounded by a complete lack of phone signal. I liked Diana Jones, but she's better in more intimate settings, Mark Mulcahy was good as expected, really liked Eels and Parquet Courts were pretty much on the money. I was induced to watch Efterklang, who were complete kack, so fled to catch the last of David Byrne. After hours, Dawes were excellent, left after fifteen minutes of King Khan, clearly lacking the vim of his performance from the afternoon.

Saturday: Fossil Collective a pleasant start to the day, Ethan Johns deadly dull, Night Beds rather disappointing so left to catch Dawes again, who I thought had been better the night before. Warpaint seemed to suffer from crap sound, Daughter another disappointment. I went to scoff at Sigur Ros but have to confess that amidst rather a lot of scandobollocks there was a spell of twenty minutes when music and light came together for something rather wonderful. All in all, not a great day of music, though finished on a high with a riveting burst of Daughn Gibson.

Sunday: The big let-down of course was the non-appearance of those two-faced bastards, Houndmouth. I caught Barney Hoskyns on Led Zep, which I'd been looking forward to - a very relaxed way to start things. I passed on Frontier Ruckus, since I was seeing them in Guildford a few days later, but they sounded fine in the distance. Liked the Barr Brothers a lot as expected, ditto Damien Jurado. Heartless Bastards sort of fine but very generic (I've never warmed to Erika Wennerstrom's voice) and Jens Lekman served up what was for me this years "happy" set: after this, you just knew his dj set would be a party. John Murry finished things for me: nothing should follow him.

Musically a little underwhelming overall, no-one produced a stellar performance, but the weather was great, and it was a pretty good EOTR, I thought.

PS. They had stacks of the 2 CD EOTR sampler in Rough Trade at the start of the weekend and I was sure they'd never shift them. By the time I grudgingly decided to buy one on Sunday afternoon, they'd only two left. Pretty good it is, too.

Edited by RedRockRick

Lovely evasive answer!! SO HOW MANY DID YOU HAVE IN 2011?

Here's some of my thoughts on this year.

Capacity: Anyone who thought it was no more crowded than last year must be (i) the holder of the EOTR Dr Goebbels PR award 2013 or (ii) a week early for Bestival. I arrived a few hours earlier than last year, and my customary spot (wide open spaces last year) was already pretty full. Still pretty peaceful at night, so no complaints there. Very slow service in the bars, food queues. Progs sold out early. Capacity has been more than reached.

Food: Bacon and egg sandwiches from the tea bus still the best. Prices for food more than just creeping up, I thought.

Wasps: A lot of wasps around this year, and very little done to solve this problem. We know flies are attracted to yellow and so it makes sense to issue stewards with those yellow jackets to draw them off, but this doesn't work for wasps. The solution seemed clear from the buzz around the preserves table at the tea bus in the mornings: next year stewards should be instructed to rub jam in their hair and stand a little further away.

Music:

Friday:For the first time in five years I made it in time to catch the very first act, Widowspeak, though sadly they weren't too memorable: where's a Woodpecker Woollams heads-upper when you need one? My Friday afternoon was the pretty much disrupted by intrusive work issues, compounded by a complete lack of phone signal. I liked Diana Jones, but she's better in more intimate settings, Mark Mulcahy was good as expected, really liked Eels and Parquet Courts were pretty much on the money. I was induced to watch Efterklang, who were complete kack, so fled to catch the last of David Byrne. After hours, Dawes were excellent, left after fifteen minutes of King Khan, clearly lacking the vim of his performance from the afternoon.

Saturday: Fossil Collective a pleasant start to the day, Ethan Johns deadly dull, Night Beds rather disappointing so left to catch Dawes again, who I thought had been better the night before. Warpaint seemed to suffer from crap sound, Daughter another disappointment. I went to scoff at Sigur Ros but have to confess that amidst rather a lot of scandobollocks there was a spell of twenty minutes when music and light came together for something rather wonderful. All in all, not a great day of music, though finished on a high with a riveting burst of Daughn Gibson.

Sunday: The big let-down of course was the non-appearance of those two-faced bastards, Houndmouth. I caught Barney Hoskyns on Led Zep, which I'd been looking forward to - a very relaxed way to start things. I passed on Frontier Ruckus, since I was seeing them in Guildford a few days later, but they sounded fine in the distance. Liked the Barr Brothers a lot as expected, ditto Damien Jurado. Heartless Bastards sort of fine but very generic (I've never warmed to Erika Wennerstrom's voice) and Jens Lekman served up what was for me this years "happy" set: after this, you just knew his dj set would be a party. John Murry finished things for me: nothing should follow him.

Musically a little underwhelming overall, no-one produced a stellar performance, but the weather was great, and it was a pretty good EOTR, I thought.

PS. They had stacks of the 2 CD EOTR sampler in Rough Trade at the start of the weekend and I was sure they'd never shift them. By the time I grudgingly decided to buy one on Sunday afternoon, they'd only two left. Pretty good it is, too.

• 2 weeks later...

OK here goes, memory is a bit fuzzy but i guess if i can't remember anyone it's because they didn't make that much of an impression....

Turned up on Thursday, very much liking the new camper van location but primarily as we were closer to the festival. I wouldn't have liked to be one of the later arrivals who ended up in another post code!. Also slightly worried the access road would be unsuitable if there was any rain.

Thursday acts were all a bit meh... Remember when we had Mark Lanegan, Isobel Cambell, Darren Haymen, Allo Darlin etc....? Ended up around campfire until early hours talking to a very strange man about his favourite prescribed medications/musical combinations

Friday started with Widowspeak who were charmingly inoffensive, then over to Garden for Woodpecker. Unfortunately we missed the naked grand entrance and only had the slightly psychotic breakdown at the end. She's retired the name now which may be no coincidence.... Hung around the Garden stage for Diane Jones (great set) and Mark Mulcahy (not bad) before heading over to see Allo Darlin (always great, didn't feel lost on main stage at all - Bill the Bassist may be the happiest man in the universe).

Hopped over to Tipi for Futr Primitif who was excellent as ever. He may have been the hardest working act (as usual), playing at least 3 sets that i saw.... Then over to see King Khan do his thang. Never seen him before, but was very impressed.

Evening was Eels and then David Byrne. Eels were magnificent and brought a huge grin to the faces of all around. Blessed by a double rainbow, the best band introductions i've ever seen ('Let it E' etc), Fleetwood Mac covers and a mash up finale, they kicked arse. David and St Vincent were fine - professional, well choreographed, but not inspiring. Road to Nowhere was good though... Then ended up in Comedy until early hours (best quote: people who like Sigur Ros are the ones who think that's what good music should sound like...) and over to Tipi for last acts. Late night tipi just aint the same without SnakeWagon though....

Saturday started well with Evening Hymns and Pokey LaFarge but rest of the day seemed weakest of line up overall. Highlights were Leisure Society (always great) and Mike Heron/Trembling Bells. Compared to last year when the Garden stage had Jeffrey Lewis, Mark Lanegan and Tindersticks to finish the night i was a little disappointed...

Sunday was strongest line up overall. Frontier Ruckus good, Barr Bros, Damien Jurado (loved his birthday predictions) and Caitlin Rose were great. Staves were very nice, but i find them a little bland... Evening ended with the mighty Walkmen (happiest drummer award?) and then B&S - loved it when everyone was up on stage for Arab Strap. Ended in Tipi for a cracking couple of sets from a well refreshed Caitlin Rose and a barnstorming Barr Bros aided by Dan Lefkowitz

General thoughts: Churlish to complain as the organisers do everything so well; great food, amazing loos, beautiful art installations etc but i do feel it's lost a little of the magic that used to make it so amazing - not sure they can ever go back though. I'd love it if NDH returned in 2014 but the signs aren't promising. Oh yeah, and sort out the real ale bars as well. Should be more choice in all and the main one needs clearer queueing and signage to complement the great choice

Edited by staffop