My review...for what it's worth...

Guest liarliar

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While echoing many of the favourites mentioned above, I'm surprised not to see any mention so far of Mike Heron's set with Trembling Bells (as the Incredible String Band) in the Tipi. The guy is 70 years old now but he was absolutely buzzing around, delighted at the reaction they were getting to a set made up exclusively of ISB songs. As they started late and were up against the clock I expected lots of their shorter ditties but they kicked off with Maya which is about 10 minutes long and finished with 'A Very Cellular Song' which is even longer. Never thought I'd see that sung live after enjoying the record for over 40 years! Had a lovely chat on Sunday afternoon with Mike and his wife (from Newcastle!) and daughter Georgia who was 'Rose' to Lavinia's 'Liquorice' in the Bells lineup.

I also had a great hour with Ringo's Music Bingo and a lovely gentle couple of hours with Barney Hoskins and Sean O'Hagan in the library on Sunday morning. Barney's session was based around his massive Led Zep book and was absolutely fascinating, especially the Q & A after his readings. Sean read a bit of a play what he had wrote and sang gentle acoustic versions of High Llamas' songs.

So much better there now that they have a little PA system so everyone can hear though I thought Julian the curator was a little over-zealous in confiscating the ball from the adjacent 'basketball' game!

While echoing many of the favourites mentioned above, I'm surprised not to see any mention so far of Mike Heron's set with Trembling Bells (as the Incredible String Band) in the Tipi. The guy is 70 years old now but he was absolutely buzzing around, delighted at the reaction they were getting to a set made up exclusively of ISB songs. As they started late and were up against the clock I expected lots of their shorter ditties but they kicked off with Maya which is about 10 minutes long and finished with 'A Very Cellular Song' which is even longer. Never thought I'd see that sung live after enjoying the record for over 40 years! Had a lovely chat on Sunday afternoon with Mike and his wife (from Newcastle!) and daughter Georgia who was 'Rose' to Lavinia's 'Liquorice' in the Bells lineup.

Although the capacity was increased this year it didn't feel as crowded as last year - and I think this was due to the better weather and more "dry space" than last year when everyone was trying to steer clear of the mud.

Positives

Allo Darling

Sigor Ros

The Barr Brothers

Public Service Broadcasting

Eels

David Byrne & St Vincent

Parma Violets

Anna Von Hausswolf - my this years Pinkunoizu

Pokey Lafarge

Heartlesss B*stards

Caitlin Rose - drunk in The Tipi

Dinosaur Jr

Woodpecker Wooliams - I was expecting an american with a banjo - not a naked electronic feast

Negatives

Shower queue

Chatterers

Lack of seating in the Tipi

Where were the supposedly free UNCUT magazines?

Edited by youngdennis

After reading some of the reviews fellow roaders have posted, i am a little lost. I realise it were only my first EOTR, so i haven't that 'emotional' attachment with watching it grow etc. But, i have to says.....dudes......chill out. EOTR was THE best thing by far this year! IT may not be 'as good' as it was (which only makes me wish i got my act together and gone before), but it was bloody lovely!!!!

As everyone else does, i will now start with a list.

Positives :

SIgur Ros. They were, quite frankly, fucking amazing! When i saw they were playing for 2 hours, even i thought, as a fan, that it would lose momentum and have a 'festival' crowd muttering & dis-satisfied. I was wrong. They could have played for much longer. The visuals (well, the ones i saw. When my eyes wern't closed. getting lost in the music. I am an effing cliche) were stunning, the music was stunning, the crowd (where i was) were reverential....THE best headlining set i have ever seen. I kept saying to my friends after that all music & festivals might as well stop now and that nothing can EVER top that. But i DID have maybe 1 or 2 bad glasses of wine.....

People. The average asshole/decent quota at festivals is usually 4 decent to 1 arsehole, i find. Obviously, this quota varies as to what festival you are at (reading probably 2/1 etc). But, at EOTR, it must have been 500 to 1 or something. Maybe i was just lucky (BTW, i have almost zero 'chatters' when watching bands. A couple at PSB, but that is it...), but EVERYONE was nice & happy & friendly. EOTR has a rep of being quite middle class, and some peeps say the friendliness is coz of this. I say bollocks to that. Nice people are nice people. Im nice (i think). Im working class. So, well done all of you. :)

The setting : My word, its a lovely looking place, isnt it? But, i guess, you know all this already.

The food options. All good, not TOO pricey, and tasty. I am now on a diet, but it was an epic gastronomical blowout.

Public Service Broadcasting. They are turning into an AMAZING live proposition.

Efterklang. Only went to see them coz i didnt wanna see David Byrne. What a revelation. Utterly amazing. Tindersticks with electronical noodling. Amazing.

Pappys. Bloody brilliant, as ever, Deserved a bigger & more appreciative crowd for their sketches. Even if there WAS a bit of hate for Sigur Ros....

Now i should do negatives. But please bear in mind these are only VERY minor grumblings, which on the whole, do not mean much. And should not detract from what a brill i & the wife had. Ok? good...

Negatives :

Line up. To be honest, it might just have been me and the things i chose to see. But, to be honest, the things we saw before about half 4 was either mildly diverting or dull or just rubbish (the sound of a saw being played is not, has not and will not ever be a good sound). And after that time, there seemed to be clashes galore......

Glass. The security was VERY discreet. Which is nice, obviously. But, all the glass everywhere is not good. There has been some peeps here saying that some people didnt even know about the no glass rule. Well, if that IS the case (which i doubt a little. Its on the tickets, on the website etc....but i digress), it just needs a sign at the enterance and a couple of 'security' there asking if there is anything in glass. simple.

Comedy Line Up. This is a little misleading. The line up was great. And i LOVE the location of the stage (despite the lack of wheelchair & pushchair access...). My problem is, why does it end at 6? Seems odd...maybe after 6, have the literary stuff on the same stage, and continue comedy stuff at 10ish? I know, at around that time on the sunday, getting mildly irritated at Belle & Sebastian's tweeness & Dinosaur Jr's grungy guitar workouts, i would have LOVED to have another option......

The Woods Stage. I agree with some comments about, in such a lovely setting, that this stage did seem a little plain & dull. Course, its a space issue. And i don't have any real suggestions to improve it.

and thats it really. I do not believe in getting early bird tickets for anything (what if the organisers of ANY festie decide to radically change the line up. Killers/Beyonce at EOTR?!? URGH!!!!!). BUT, i can almost GUARANTEE that we will be back again. Hopefully with a 'combo' ticket with No Direction Home (Fingers Crossed)

Edited by retromoz

My 6th in a row, and whilst yes of course I'd love it to be smaller again, I understand that this will simply never happen. All I can ask is please EOTR, no bigger!

Probably one of the weaker years musically, but I still adore this festival and will buy a ticket every year due its amazing ambiance. I actually believe it still has the magic. As I love it so much, I feel I can point out what I feel are its small faults, without ever hating on it.

For me, it was very 'top heavy' this year, with so many amazing acts all playing after 6pm on Sunday - which considering the amount of people who tend to leave on a Sunday, seemed like odd scheduling. I was forced to make the heartbreaking decision not to watch any of The Walkmen in order to see all of Frightened Rabbit and John Murry (I don't like doing 'part sets'). Saturday had some seriously large gaps. Although seeing Dawes for the first time was incredibly special - got a little bit of dust in my eye on several occasions.

And the bars situation really does seem like an annoyance, which surely can be quite easily resolved - set up a queue. Am I being naive in thinking this would be easy? Just one of those roped off, snake things. Then no one would panic that they are being ignored and barstaff would surely feel less pressure in picking the right person to serve next. It was something they seemed to have right in Hyde Park when I saw Neil Young there a few years ago. I really don't understand who would object to this?

And if the festival is going to stay at its increased capacity, I'd suggest allowing some more food retailers onto the site. The selection is amazing and wonderful quality, just some of the wait times were very long indeed - 30mins plus sometimes. So a few more to help spread punters around a bit more (all of the same level of loveliness) would be a help.

As I said though EOTR is an amazing festival. I think sometimes people need to remember when they are criticising what the alternatives are. Now that ATP is ending doing UK holiday camps this will be the only festival I shall attend for the foreseeable future.

Please keep up the good work! With a few small tweaks please!

My 6th in a row, and whilst yes of course I'd love it to be smaller again, I understand that this will simply never happen. All I can ask is please EOTR, no bigger!

Probably one of the weaker years musically, but I still adore this festival and will buy a ticket every year due its amazing ambiance. I actually believe it still has the magic. As I love it so much, I feel I can point out what I feel are its small faults, without ever hating on it.

For me, it was very 'top heavy' this year, with so many amazing acts all playing after 6pm on Sunday - which considering the amount of people who tend to leave on a Sunday, seemed like odd scheduling. I was forced to make the heartbreaking decision not to watch any of The Walkmen in order to see all of Frightened Rabbit and John Murry (I don't like doing 'part sets'). Saturday had some seriously large gaps. Although seeing Dawes for the first time was incredibly special - got a little bit of dust in my eye on several occasions.

And the bars situation really does seem like an annoyance, which surely can be quite easily resolved - set up a queue. Am I being naive in thinking this would be easy? Just one of those roped off, snake things. Then no one would panic that they are being ignored and barstaff would surely feel less pressure in picking the right person to serve next. It was something they seemed to have right in Hyde Park when I saw Neil Young there a few years ago. I really don't understand who would object to this?

And if the festival is going to stay at its increased capacity, I'd suggest allowing some more food retailers onto the site. The selection is amazing and wonderful quality, just some of the wait times were very long indeed - 30mins plus sometimes. So a few more to help spread punters around a bit more (all of the same level of loveliness) would be a help.

As I said though EOTR is an amazing festival. I think sometimes people need to remember when they are criticising what the alternatives are. Now that ATP is ending doing UK holiday camps this will be the only festival I shall attend for the foreseeable future.

Please keep up the good work! With a few small tweaks please!

My 2nd EOTR, and like many others i noticed a shift in audience this year. Good thing or bad thing? Are we selfish for wanting to keep a festival small, and does that fit the business plan? I didnt find it a bad thing by any means. Yes it was a bit busier in areas, but everybody was great, friendly and as well behaved as you can be with several pints of cider in them. Also, i find it refreshing that the younger generation (and my 17 and 19 year old lads are included) are not all into drum and bass, and have a genuine interest in good music of all varieties. All the kids we spoke to were just enjoying the weekend, and it does people good to realise that not all festivals are like Reading or V.

ANYWAY...arrived thursday, camped near the dry pond (took a larger tent this year, and were surprised to find that we were a "finding our small tent" landmark for a few people...). Many thanks to the group who loaned us a mallet (always something i forget). Thursday was cider and sleep, and didnt see any of the bands on offer.

Friday was fun, generally. 2 Words...Woodpecker Wooliams. My lads reckoned that it would be an old blues guy, or a folk singer, so we trudged to the Garden Stage. 5 minutes in and my youngest says " theres a girl over there with her breasts out and a megaphone". Strangely, both of these facts were true. Bizarre. Rest of the day was largely Woods stage, with a brief visit to the comedy stage for Tiffany Stevenson and Chris Coletrain. King Khan was excellent, as were the Eels ("Gimme a hug"). David Byrne and St Vincent nailed it. An excellent set, with some Heads classics in there. My youngests best act of the weekend award.

Saturday brought an unexpected bonus, as we perused the line up boards after brekky and saw Fossil Collective were playing the Garden stage at 12 instead of Jessica Pratt. I had been gutted that they clashed with Sigur Ros, and was chuffed to get an extra chance to see them. They didnt disappoint and were a perfect starter for a warm saturday. Got roped into an ill advised game of rounders by the camping field, which was an error as it was so damn hot. Also enjoyed Pokey La Farge, Deptford Goth, Leisure society, and caught a packed Robin ince show in the comedy area. Sigur Ros were excellent. Possibly one of the best things i have ever seen and heard. I am aware that they are musical marmite, but for me the last song they played (untitled Poplagio) was an immense thing of beauty. The whole set was superb, and i am grateful that i was there. Ended the evening at the Piano stage having a mass singalong to American Pie, Like a rolling stone, Bohemian Rhapsody and others. Class.

Sunday, and a quick game of Corn Bag in hole ( not sure if that was the official name...) and off to see Cayucas. Bo Ningen were a pleasant surprise (must be the old Heavy metal fan in me) and Caitlin Rose is a great talent who we all enjoyed. Wasnt really bothered by any of the Sunday Headliners, so took in a bit of PSB, followed by an hour of Belle and Sebastian and the end of Dinosaur Jr, who looked like the best of the three. Only wish we had gone to see John Murry, judging by some of the comments on here.

On the whole, an excellent weekend as ever. Beer was lovely, as was the Cider. Food was good, although we only bought a "big" meal on sunday, preferring the simple pleasure of a single gas burner and some tins of Chilli etc. Big thanks to the food bus for a good breakfast, and a cracking hot choc on a chilly saturday night which was made with proper chocolate and milk.We have booked for next year and are looking forward to it already. Would like to see no increase in the numbers, to preserve the feel and vibe.

Edited by gigs

EOTR 2013 another superb finale to summer.

I’m writing this semi drunk, looking forward to Mrs RLs return tomorrow from a (massively deserved and needed) late summer sojourn to the East Lothian coast, and with a backing track of the superb Jamie Lee / Money debut album. Look away now or assume you will wade through some excessive melodrama.

Firstly, was the undercard weak as some are implying? Nothing to watch pre 6pm as suggested?

I really, really, really don’t get this: Allo Darlin, Doug Paisley, Mark Mulcahy, Diana Jones, Teleman, Angel Olsen, Dawes, Staves, Damien Jurado, Bo Ningen, Charlie Boyer, Crocodiles, Merchandise etc. I don’t even like a number of those bands but that’s just amazing – and those are the names I knew beforehand and it ignores the brilliant new ones I found over the weekend: Eyes & No Eyes, East India Youth, William Tyler etc.

And then the headliners: on the Latitude forum Raffles referred to them as “A Latitude forumer’s wet dream”. How, at a few more than 10k, do we get David Byrne / Annie (exclusive btw); Sigur Ros and Belle & Seb? With Eels, Dino Jr, FRabbits and the Walkmen supporting. Again, you don’t have to like them (all/any) but that’s pretty top stuff.

So: amazing, wonderful lineup?

Then the ‘vibe’. This is no worse than ever for me, you still meet happy artists around the site, have (long remembered) chats with near icons without barriers. The artists you (sometimes) idolise are there as ‘normal’ people to just have a chat with. Truly reassuring, and you also have more random chats at eotr than you could in a lifetime of other festivals.

Nice time?

Had a wonderful, typically chaotic festival. Thought I’d have a mate but that turned out (later than expected) to be wrong so had my first solo festival in about 6. Forgot how good that is, just talking to anyone and everyone. Received early morning (i.e. <9am) Earl Grey from my amazing neighbour Pauline each morning. Had a good chat with festival pearly King & Queens Nige & Claire and met the impressive SimonW, Geeb and Born-in-the-fifties. As IJ said in his post, missed one or two old timers who didn’t go, and also failed to see Geof/IJ/Cmouse. Did, briefly, get to say hi to forum megastar Shoebox!

Bands?

Too many to mention, so a top five (tricky to achieve) required

Money (Jamie might be a twat, but he is something very special)

Allo Darlin (just, just FUN)

David B & St Vincent (my second time, and possibly even better, consummate band)

Eyes & No Eyes (this year’s Horse Thief/Pinkunozu moment)

East India Youth (tough playing dance at that time, but he will get the late slots he deserves.

If it’s at all unclear, I had an amazing time, see you next year J

EOTR 2013 another superb finale to summer.

I’m writing this semi drunk, looking forward to Mrs RLs return tomorrow from a (massively deserved and needed) late summer sojourn to the East Lothian coast, and with a backing track of the superb Jamie Lee / Money debut album. Look away now or assume you will wade through some excessive melodrama.

Firstly, was the undercard weak as some are implying? Nothing to watch pre 6pm as suggested?

I really, really, really don’t get this: Allo Darlin, Doug Paisley, Mark Mulcahy, Diana Jones, Teleman, Angel Olsen, Dawes, Staves, Damien Jurado, Bo Ningen, Charlie Boyer, Crocodiles, Merchandise etc. I don’t even like a number of those bands but that’s just amazing – and those are the names I knew beforehand and it ignores the brilliant new ones I found over the weekend: Eyes & No Eyes, East India Youth, William Tyler etc.

And then the headliners: on the Latitude forum Raffles referred to them as “A Latitude forumer’s wet dream”. How, at a few more than 10k, do we get David Byrne / Annie (exclusive btw); Sigur Ros and Belle & Seb? With Eels, Dino Jr, FRabbits and the Walkmen supporting. Again, you don’t have to like them (all/any) but that’s pretty top stuff.

So: amazing, wonderful lineup?

Then the ‘vibe’. This is no worse than ever for me, you still meet happy artists around the site, have (long remembered) chats with near icons without barriers. The artists you (sometimes) idolise are there as ‘normal’ people to just have a chat with. Truly reassuring, and you also have more random chats at eotr than you could in a lifetime of other festivals.

Nice time?

Had a wonderful, typically chaotic festival. Thought I’d have a mate but that turned out (later than expected) to be wrong so had my first solo festival in about 6. Forgot how good that is, just talking to anyone and everyone. Received early morning (i.e. <9am) Earl Grey from my amazing neighbour Pauline each morning. Had a good chat with festival pearly King & Queens Nige & Claire and met the impressive SimonW, Geeb and Born-in-the-fifties. As IJ said in his post, missed one or two old timers who didn’t go, and also failed to see Geof/IJ/Cmouse. Did, briefly, get to say hi to forum megastar Shoebox!

Bands?

Too many to mention, so a top five (tricky to achieve) required

Money (Jamie might be a twat, but he is something very special)

Allo Darlin (just, just FUN)

David B & St Vincent (my second time, and possibly even better, consummate band)

Eyes & No Eyes (this year’s Horse Thief/Pinkunozu moment)

East India Youth (tough playing dance at that time, but he will get the late slots he deserves.

If it’s at all unclear, I had an amazing time, see you next year J