• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yellow_Fellow

• Gucci Piggy

• dentalplan

• justanothername

I'm very biased against them, they're just one of those bands I can't stand, you know? Like Mumford and Sons, and all pop-punk and metalcore bands. Ugh.

See, M&S and metalcore I find myself able to happily ignore and not worry about. They don't intrude on my life too much. Oasis are a bit more annoying, but it's just comical now. They're like a parody of themselves.

Pop-punk is a different matter though, there is nothing in music I hate more, both for the insane levels of hypocrisy it involves, and how much I get pissed off by people telling me I should "Just have fun and enjoy it", as if hating crap music means I'm a miserable fucker with no joy in my life. I do enjoy myself when listening to music, it just happens to be music that isn't the complete antithesis of what it pretends to be.

Edited by kaosmark2

Pop punk is a pretty broad label too though. Like Brand New, FOB, Weezer have all been called pop punk. Absolutely nothing like eachother. Although I think they're notable exceptions.. I don't think I like much 'pop punk' only really those three, plus ADTR and Blink 182. Wouldn't describe Brand New or Weezer as pop punk myself though.

Pop punk is a pretty broad label too though. Like Brand New, FOB, Weezer have all been called pop punk. Absolutely nothing like eachother. Although I think they're notable exceptions.. I don't think I like much 'pop punk' only really those three, plus ADTR and Blink 182. Wouldn't describe Brand New or Weezer as pop punk myself though.

FOB are definitely pop-punk, and definitely terrible. I wouldn't describe Brand New or Weezer as pop-punk though, because they're not really punky at all, and don't try to be.

"Pop" is the opposite of what "punk" was about. It's not the success, but the advertising, the crafting of an image to sell, the excessively clean production. Everything about it is fake and commercial, while selling itself on being the complete opposite. The music tries to imitate the power of stripped down, short songs, yet all the pop elements dilute that and leave nothing but bland, cheesy crap that at its least objectionable is an unimaginative and vaguely catchy song that doesn't take itself seriously, and at its worst is American Idiot.

Edited by kaosmark2

FOB are definitely pop-punk, and definitely terrible. I wouldn't describe Brand New or Weezer as pop-punk though, because they're not really punky at all, and don't try to be.

"Pop" is the opposite of what "punk" was about. It's not the success, but the advertising, the crafting of an image to sell, the excessively clean production. Everything about it is fake and commercial, while selling itself on being the complete opposite. The music tries to imitate the power of stripped down, short songs, yet all the pop elements dilute that and leave nothing but bland, cheesy crap that at its least objectionable is an unimaginative and vaguely catchy song that doesn't take itself seriously, and at its worst is American Idiot.

that's the point, the labels don't really seem to be about the music anymore, but instead the image of the band, or whatever type of audience they cater to

and I completely agree with you, but I still like FOB and Green Day and maybe a couple of others just for the music, not what it promotes or suggests/attempts to imitate

Edited by Com Truise

A guy I went to Leeds with thought I was an idiot for thinking Green Day, Paramore, Blink-182 and Fall Out Boy were pop-punk, and tried to tell me they were all punk bands. What on Earth does he think is pop-punk, then?

I also don't get the "It's fun music, not supposed to be taken seriously" thing. Why should that be a reason to watch something absolutely shite? And I'm pretty sure punk music was supposed to be taken seriously. What is the point in pop-punk? The idea of it genuinely makes no sense to me.

A guy I went to Leeds with thought I was an idiot for thinking Green Day, Paramore, Blink-182 and Fall Out Boy were pop-punk, and tried to tell me they were all punk bands. What on Earth does he think is pop-punk, then?

I also don't get the "It's fun music, not supposed to be taken seriously" thing. Why should that be a reason to watch something absolutely shite? And I'm pretty sure punk music was supposed to be taken seriously. What is the point in pop-punk? The idea of it genuinely makes no sense to me.

One take on punk was that it was DIY music, no longer did you have to be well trained to play music and stripped away the extras to get to the rock so combine that with pop but it's all bullshit really.

As with most descriptions nowadays it takes words from the past but dispenses with the original meaning.

I would say that the definition of modern pop-punk would be combining the idea of punk from someone who doesn't really know about it (a bit shouty, a bit edgy, quite simplistic) mixed with the modern usage of pop (basic and repetitive structure, catchy, radio-friendly).

The whole concept of defining punk is a complete minefied anyway, and I guess it's possible for a band to be pop-punk musically while having a punk ethos (although there will be those who argue that nobody who makes music that is commercially appealing couldd be truly punk), while on the other hand a band like Good Charlotte could be described as pop-punk musically but the cock-sucking whores are a million miles away from any kind of punk ideals.

But yeah, if someone tried to tell me that Paramore (who I wouldn't really say were pop-punk anyway), Blink and Fall Out Boy were punk bands I'd laugh at them.

Edited by mrtourette

One take on punk was that it was DIY music, no longer did you have to be well trained to play music and stripped away the extras to get to the rock so combine that with pop but it's all bullshit really.

"Lets take away the anger, the rawness, the intensity of punk and just keep the fact we can't play for shit, then clean it up. That'll be a great form of music!"

(although there will be those who argue that nobody who makes music that is commercially appealing couldd be truly punk),

I don't think it's that commercially appealing music can't be punk, it's that a punk band can't set out to be commercially appealing.

I don't think it's that commercially appealing music can't be punk, it's that a punk band can't set out to be commercially appealing.

Absolutely agree, although some people get very precious when you get onto the whole subject of 'selling-out'.

I would actually like them headliners apart from oasis. I think your prediction won't be a million miles away from the headliners.

The only one I'd consider watching would be Oasis haha, but again purely for nostalgia, like Green Day this year. I reckon it's not too far off though, although there is a distinct lack of a heavier headliner.

Absolutely agree, although some people get very precious when you get onto the whole subject of 'selling-out'.

See, I don't necessarily think being signed to a major label means a band has, but if you're trying to sell an image of being anti-establishment, rebellious, etc. it just reeks of hypocrisy.

There's a whole "image" thing with punk and pop-punk now though. Yes, punks dressed up back in the 70s, but such outfits and appearances had shock value back then, now it's just another subculture.