Lineup 2015

kaosmark2

In certain respects it seems as though this year's line up attempted to appeal to a slightly older demographic, what with Metallica, the strong Lock Up stage and bookings like Alexisonfire, American Football, etc. However it seems that the older crowd are now completely disinterested in going because of the beer-swilling yoofs and the yoofs aren't too fussed about going because the tickets are so expensive and the line up isn't appealing enough to justify it

Soon I reckon Calvin Harris/Avicii will get booked out of desperation for sales, the festival will move closer to a V/wireless demographic and it'll continue to spiral in that direction until one year it's licence gets revoked by the council after 86 kids die from trying to inject NOS cannisters in to their stomachs or some bollocks

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yellow_Fellow

• Gucci Piggy

• dentalplan

• justanothername

If the festival fought harder for the more popular V acts at the expense of the veteran Reading bands who no longer appeal massively to teens then I could see the festival selling very very well

Such as who???

As dental said, the fact V & TITP are also doing very poorly suggests competing against them will do nothing to change R&L's fortunes. If anything they should be going in the opposite direction to try and win back the older audience instead of trying to compete for the limited teenage one. 

Edited by DGrant261

I'd blame the suffering on R&L's sales (or at least Leeds; as Dental said we can't speak for Reading yet) on the fact that it's tried to compete with T & V.

R&L's regulars' to whom acts like Metallica would appeal to are put off weekend tickets by the appearance of Mumford & Sons / Bastille and I'd presume it's the same in vice versa. The audience that R&L is trying to take away from T & V are presumably put off by Metallica and so would rather stick to T / V. Tbh I know a lot of people going to Leeds this year and there's a lot who are excited to see Metallica and impressed by the strength of the Lock Up and a lot of people excited to see The Libertines. However I haven't spoken to one person attending Leeds who has said "I'll be watching Mumford & Sons / Bastille"- there really is a sense of dread and disappointment surrounding this year's top 9 (at least in my social sphere- but as that social sphere consists of Leeds goers around aged 16-21 I don't think I'd be pushing the boat out too far to suggest that it's a pretty good representative).

Additionally I'd argue that the inclusion of BMTH as subs is another reason why sales have seriously suffered this year and really highlights the fact that R&L should be recognising Download as it's main competitor if it wants to see its sales rise. 2013- you see SOAD; a band that could arguably push for a headline slot playing as subs (if not at R&L then certainly at DL & Soni). 2015 - you see BMTH announced as subs- jumping up from a mid-afternoon slot off the back of 1 single which gained a relative amount of airplay on the Radio 1 rock show. As a fan of rock/metal music you can't help but feel cheated by that booking and if you're uncertain as to whether or not you're choosing DL or R&L as your festival of choice this year- you'd understandably be inclined to opt for DL.

It seems clear to me that next year R&L need to compete with DL and try and re-attract much of it's former audience rather than lose out on those audience members for trying to appeal too much to T / V goers who are more inclined to choose to T / V anyway due to the more radio friendly line up and cheaper ticket price.

Isn't the problem party down to the new booker, it seems to have noticeably gone down some other alternative route since he took over.

The old guy produced far better line-ups. You could almost guarantee that that years big reunions were going to be involved, and that it would be one of the best line-ups of the summer. For example L7 should have been at Reading this year, with their history at the festival it was a no brainer.

It just seems to be losing its way a little bit. I still think it should have gone down the route like Glastonbury that it should be a privilege to play one of the oldest festivals. But that ship sailed long ago. We're just another tour date on a list.

Some of the American festivals (and some Europeans) seem to be more inventive, with their bookings. They'd laugh at some of our placements - Jake Bugg, etc. Whilst I enjoy the 'up and coming' bands across the line-up. I can't help but wonder where actually some of the money is being spent, as these must be far cheaper.

After multiple listens to the new BMTH song I like it even more. If their setlist was like this I'd be happy (no pun intended):

1. Happy Song

2. Shadow Moses

3. The House Of Wolves

4. Diamonds Aren't Forever

5. It Never Ends

6. Empire (Let Them Sing)

7. Chelsea Smile

8. Blessed With A Curse

9. Antivist

10. Sleepwalking

11. Can You Feel My Heart

12. Drown

I'd love for them to play Pray For Plagues. After watching the Wembley DVD it sounds so much better now than it ever did when deathcore was their style. But I think that the show at Wembley was the perfect place to leave the CYB material for good.

I'd say reading is in a much stronger place than T or V. It's Leeds that's the problem.

Reading has eventually sold out for the past three years, and I reckon it will soon this year.

I firmly believe that sometimes Glastonbury being shown on TV gives reading a sales push.

Edited by Matt42

The problem I have with reading in the last couple of years (this year especially) is the sheer number of dance acts taking up around half line up. I have absolutely no interest in the majority of acts now on the NME Stage.

There are already two stages devoted to dance acts, yet the other stages are seeing more and more dance act placed on them.

I very much agree with the earlier comment that reading need to be trying to get more download type acts to try and entice the older generation back.

That's not really true at all. There's just the dance stage and then Deadmau5, Knife Party and Rebel Sound providing an alternative to the rock bands on main, and I guess Modestep but they're more of a crossover. And I'm sure they had dance acts dotted about the stages in the years where the 'older generation' went as well.

One day on the NME is 90% dance/rap, I too am a little annoyed at the amount of dance on that stage

I'm guessing you mean Sunday? I don't think it's much of a problem, it's not like they're particularly similar acts, sure they could all be called 'dance music' but there's a huge difference between a deadmau5 and Kwabs and likewise dissimilarities between a Ghostpoet set and a Tyler, The Creator set.

I very much agree with the earlier comment that reading need to be trying to get more download type acts to try and entice the older generation back.

No they don't because fucking old goats don't want to go any more. The fest needs to move on & Reading selling out the past few years proves this.

So reading would be saved by angling itself like a festival who has declining sales every year? No..

Angling reading to be like download won't solve the problem at all, seems the money is more dance acts - and scooping up the occasional headliners that Glastonbury might want to book