• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yellow_Fellow

• Gucci Piggy

• dentalplan

• justanothername

Saw this on twitter, posted it here because i thought it was interesting not because I wanted to start a debate or attack the festival (its hardly like Melvin did it deliberately... I dont think)

How it would look if the Reading / Leeds line-up only included the acts that have a female musician in the band.

B-o1kd8WoAAqzMa.jpg

This is a reflection of the music industry which is killing itself through short term greed. Girls are exploited into short lived pop. Musicians are becoming irrelevant. Unless R/L does dance and pop to a greater extent there will always be less women performers.

In fact short term gain is killing all of the industry, not just females. We already complain about the lack of headline size bands and about the ones that do get the bump up. In 20 years where will the headline bands come from? If the likes of Bumfords are still around I'll eat my flat cap with gravy. The X factor stage will be the main event.

Sleigh Bells headlining FR in 2012 was one of the highlights of the weekend, women can definitely cut it in the music industry, it's more that they aren't really within the genres that play Reading all that much. I have no statistics to hand but straight up pop probably has more women than men.

I quite like that announcement. It's enough to get me a weekend ticket. Especially after being underwhelmed at the last few main announcements. It's gonna bring me back to the festival.

For me it has the strength in depth to suit me, maybe that's because I've been going for long enough for some bands to fall back down the bill.

I'll be seeing Ash, Metallica, mastodon,limp bizkit, Manchester Orchestra, libertines, maccabees, cribs, royal blood, peace, cancer bats, probably catch kendrick lamar. With more to come I'm happy with that as a start.

Obviously Paramore who headlined last year.

I do think its very strange that there are not more female bands or at least lead singers in music. I have to be honest I was shocked when I saw that poster though, there is so few!

Paramore are tosh too. As is Blondie.

Loads of good female pop artists out there but none I'd be willing to go and see.

This is a reflection of the music industry which is killing itself through short term greed. Girls are exploited into short lived pop. Musicians are becoming irrelevant. Unless R/L does dance and pop to a greater extent there will always be less women performers.

I agree with this I think. Its a real shame as I prefer the female voice in general.

Also Chvrches another one of my favorite bands FFS! Im helping promote equality in music me!

Edited by kemosabe

Taylor Swift

Lana Del Rey

Florence and The Machine

Courtney Barnett

Haim

Bjork

Warpaint

Paramore

BANKS

Rihanna

Chvrches

Kate Bush

Jessie ware

Lorde

(Ellie Goulding)

Are all great female acts, most of this forum will probably disagree though

Janelle Monae beats all bar one of them hands down, please.