Picking up daughter Saturday night. When? Where?

Guest murru36

Our daughter will spend the day at reading with friends, on condition I come and collect her in the evening. I'll be driving from oxford - how close can I get to the site (Tessa road?) and realistically what is the safest time to ask her to leave? She's only 16, I will ask her friends to accompany her to an exit or something, but she seems to think she's going to see a bit of Eminem.

Should I just ask her to meet at an earlier time? What is the best pickup?

If you're coming from Oxford I'd head down the A4074 into Caversham and find somewhere to wait, possibly the Tesco Express or Waitrose car park. If she leaves the site by the Green exit she can walk down the river to Caversham bridge (10 minutes) and meet you.

You could make your way to Tessa Road, the traffic isn't too bad that time of night but you'll have to make sure that she leaves by the VIP exit, if she leaves by one of the main ones she won't be anywhere near you.

Tbh, the day finishes at 23:30, so anytime after that but realistically, you won't be meeting her until around 23:50-24:00 as it takes a while to get out. It's not unsafe at this time (unless she decides to get stupidly drunk at her age and goes to find you alone) so I wouldn't worry about her. :)

Reading is a very safe festival generally, but I'd say in terms of safety she'd actually probably be better off leaving with the crowds after Eminem than heading off early.

As other posters have said, once the headliner finishes they open the VIP exit to the left of the main stage, which provides a much faster route out to the street than going out by any other route.