Saturday night finishing time

Guest bogbrush

Hi all,

First year at Reading, going for Saturday only. I'm travelling from London and therefore need to get a train (unless there is a better alternative).

I was wondering what time the last act finishes, is it 11? I know this is generally the curfew at most festivals. The last train home to London is at 12:03am so I am wondering if we would have time to catch it.

Advice would be appreciated :)

Danny

would probably be hit and miss. its doable but bare in mind there may be no leeway cause if the festival site is busy - it will be, then you would be pushing your luck.

what makes it stupid is sunday night into monday there are later trains which would mean not having to bolt to the station...

up to you to decide what time you want to leave, but it can be a good half hour to get out of the site depending on how many people are leaving at the same time, and then the 20 minute walk on top of that to the station

lharris92 advice is sound - if that is the last train then you would be wise to build in a larger margin - I have never left on a Saturday but I would imagine the station will be busy and they may even be controlling access to the platform so you have to factor that in as well.
on occasions I have had a drink in the Pub that is a few feet from the station and its swarming with Police as you will soon find out when you get off the train.
No one can say how many others may be planning to catch that train so you may end up kicking yourself if you reach the station and then discover they have restricted access to the platform.
better to be too early than too late

The exit layout even with the new arena adjustments will be very close to
Note you cant exit though the gates near the stage { you need a crew pass to get though }
don't be tempted to think that you can race out and find a local taxi to get you to the station as you have as much chance as catching a friendly UFO.
its very close to Rivermead Leisure Centre on Richfield Avenue
Google maps claim its a 18 minute walk to the station but that is not taking into account the barriers on the road + you have to reach that from the Arena.
Due to the way it is - you cant walk straight to it - it may look close but its a good walk and it will be busy.

Image1-reading.jpg

The exit layout even with the new arena adjustments will be very close to
Note you cant exit though the gates near the stage { you need a crew pass to get though }
don't be tempted to think that you can race out and find a local taxi to get you to the station as you have as much chance as catching a friendly UFO.
its very close to Rivermead Leisure Centre on Richfield Avenue
Google maps claim its a 18 minute walk to the station but that is not taking into account the barriers on the road + you have to reach that from the Arena.
Due to the way it is - you cant walk straight to it - it may look close but its a good walk and it will be busy.

Image1-reading.jpg

It's the same problem as anyone who has tried to get a train out of London after a Saturday night out - as soon as it hits midnight you're into Sunday hours.

glasto-worker, every year I have been able to get out of the gate to the left of the main stage and off site onto Richfield Avenue using the VIP entrance, cutting the trip from the arena to the station to 15-20 minutes, although to be fair that may only have been on the Sundays.

Also worth taking into account is that the site is being re-organised this year and the arena will have two entrance/exit points, although with no site map out yet whether that will make it quicker or slower is anybody's guess.

I do the walk every year (I live just past the station so unfortunately can't say how busy the actual station would be) and would say that if the exit by the stage isn't open 30 mins would be the absolute minimum for someone who knew where they were going and who was experienced in negotiating festival crowds, although that's to get to the station not including getting on a train.

I would say give yourself as hour and then come on here and curse us when it only takes 25 minutes :P

Edited by mrtourette

traditionally you can exit by the Stage following the last act as they open up the emergency exits. Whether this will still be the case with the new layout or not who knows?

It saves you a whole world of time, so much so that's its normally better to wait for the headlining band to finish, than leave 15-20 mins early and walk out the normal way.

Im hoping the new layout will stop the need to walk all the way around the campsites to get in and out

I reckon the OP could easily make a 12:03 if they hurried, that is assuming the exits are opened as per usual

Edited by Benj

It's the same problem as anyone who has tried to get a train out of London after a Saturday night out - as soon as it hits midnight you're into Sunday hours.

glasto-worker, every year I have been able to get out of the gate to the left of the main stage and off site onto Richfield Avenue using the VIP entrance, cutting the trip from the arena to the station to 15-20 minutes, although to be fair that may only have been on the Sundays.

Also worth taking into account is that the site is being re-organised this year and the arena will have two entrance/exit points, although with no site map out yet whether that will make it quicker or slower is anybody's guess.

I do the walk every year (I live just past the station so unfortunately can't say how busy the actual station would be) and would say that if the exit by the stage isn't open 30 mins would be the absolute minimum for someone who knew where they were going and who was experienced in negotiating festival crowds, although that's to get to the station not including getting on a train.

I would say give yourself as hour and then come on here and curse us when it only takes 25 minutes :P

Thanks for all this...soo much help!! What we will do on arrival is plan the escape routes there and then...I don't think I'd like to get stuck in reading...and have to wait until half 5 in the morning for a train...that would not be fun!

Edited by Benj