The annual spare ticket hunt

Guest shoebox

I'm seeing messages on the End Of The Road Facebook page about only being able to sell through Ticket Trust, and that you cannot enter the site with someone else's ticket.

This seems like a nonsense to me. Totally unmanageable. Surely the prospect of parties arriving separately, or a ticket being bought as a gift by someone not attending the festival is high? I don't even see how selling through Ticket Trust eliminates that. It's still the same ticket, still in the original purchaser's name.

I've just registered the ticket with Ticket Trust anyway, but you actually have to send them the ticket. Not sure I'm keen on that at all. Completely takes away the chance of a last minute friend wanting to attend.

• 3 weeks later...

This is from the website

Terms and Conditions of Ticket Purchase

New for 2013 we are introducing an electronic ticket entry system.

We hope this will make entry to the festival quicker and easier. Your ticket will be printed with a barcode, which will be scanned on presentation at the wristband exchange. You may be asked a quick question for identification purposes and then your wristband will be issued.

This does mean, however that on selling of tickets is strictly prohibited. It always has been, but we haven’t been able to enforce it fully before. This prevents secondary selling of tickets at inflated prices once we have sold out. We want everyone to be able to enjoy our festival at a fair price.

Don’t worry though, it doesn't mean your whole group has to arrive together. You can still buy tickets for friends and arrive at different times, but you will be asked a simple security question to ensure the ticket was purchased legitimately. If for any reason you have bought a festival ticket and can no longer attend we are happy to authorise ticket on-selling via Ticket Trust. Ticket Trust provides a ticket trading service for only the face value of the ticket. That means that you get your money back and other people don’t have to pay over the odds to enjoy the festival in your place. Ticket Trust will update us of the new owner.

Please note: the ticket trust website will probably only start providing this service from around June.

Doesn't prevent a friend taking a spare ticket but they'll need to know something about the person who bought it - no problem if you arrive together.

Best way to sell - other than through ticket trust - would be to meet at the site and go through together

I needed an extra youth ticket so have bought on Ticket Trust. I have to say the £19.50 charges/p&p feels really steep, I have never paid this premium on ebay and for various reasons have always had to get extras for EoTR for the last 5 years.

In previous years we have sorted through the forum or even ebay, arranged to meet people at the gate with spares and done the deal at proper face value. Couldnt risk it this time due to changes to t's & c's and that the extra is for a friend of my daughters so didnt want to risk failure!

Agree with shoebox re what they will be able to ask.

Left feeling a bit grumpy, but will be in the field this time next week, far from grumpy :)

Edited by Neville Street