Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Correct me if I am wrong, but would that mean your just not really a fan of Arcade Fire then? :P

BTW some of you need to get longer attention spans! :P

Not anymore I'm not, like them live & love their debut and EP but after that it's just been disappointing blow after disappointing blow for me :(

Also it's not attention spans, just a lot of musicians can't pull off a long album. Though the two 4 Modest Mouse albums are among my favorite albums of all time and none of them are under an hour :D

Edited by Yesiamaduck

i don't really get why this album had to be split onto 2 discs. i'm always puzzled when bands release double albums and yet they could fit it all onto one dic. probably to make some kind of an artistic statement, but i think if a band wants to release a double album, at least make both discs the length of actual full-length albums (or better yet, just don't release a double album as they're rarely ever as good as they would've been if whittled down to a single album)

i'm glad they seem to have moved away from the Springsteen-sounding Neon Bible / Suburbs. whilst i loved both albums, i was afraid that's the sound they'd decided to stick with. obviously they're never gonna release another album that sounds like Funeral (unfortunately) but moving in a few different directions is good!

i don't really get why this album had to be split onto 2 discs. i'm always puzzled when bands release double albums and yet they could fit it all onto one dic. probably to make some kind of an artistic statement,

Yep, the 'double-album' has certain connotations attached to it that 'a really fucking long album' doesn't, and if it isn't in two physical parts it isn't really a 'double-album'. The artistic statement is more important thatn whether they could actually physically fit it onto one disc.

Edited by mrtourette

wellllllll i still don't agree with it. whilst i was overjoyed to hear that Arcade Fire, one of my favourite bands, were releasing a double album, upon realising that it was just two short(er) albums (and that it's actually only ten minutes longer than The Suburbs) it just seemed a bit meh. and i'm just not a fan of double albums. screams of a band stretching ideas too far with nobody stepping in to say 'alright let's step back a bit' (of course there are exceptions though, but they're far and few between)

wellllllll i still don't agree with it. whilst i was overjoyed to hear that Arcade Fire, one of my favourite bands, were releasing a double album, upon realising that it was just two short(er) albums (and that it's actually only ten minutes longer than The Suburbs) it just seemed a bit meh. and i'm just not a fan of double albums. screams of a band stretching ideas too far with nobody stepping in to say 'alright let's step back a bit' (of course there are exceptions though, but they're far and few between)

If you are't a fan of double albums why were you overjoyed to hear that Arcade Fire are releasing one? :P

Seriously though who knows why they're doing it, maybe they want to make an artistic differentiation between two sets of songs, maybe they have a different theme or style.

It's fair enough to say that the phrase 'double alum' immediately raises concerns but if it's only slightly longer than a standard album rather than being a 'proper' double album I guess that negates the point about double albums being full of filler or stretching too far.

While it might smack of art for art's sake if the worst thing about this album is that it's physically on two discs when the technology would actually have allowed for it to be put onto one I think we're worrying too much. If the songs themselves are overblown and drag on then that's another matter, but I don't think the make-up of the album really matter. If the songs are good enough they could put each one on a separate disc for all I care.

because i assumed it meant more Arcade Fire songs, when actually it just meant less (but longer) Arcade Fire songs (and from what a lot of the reviews have said, the length of the tracks is the albums biggest problem - although i'll leave that judgement to myself)

anyway i'm definitely just nitpicking. i'm very excited for this album and hope the negative reviews are wrong (after all, they only got one listen of the album so the reviews seem very premature)

and still, i'm sure Arcade Fire make better use of the 'double album' concept than the likes of, say, Biffy Clyro, whose double album was just the same single album... twice

and still, i'm sure Arcade Fire make better use of the 'double album' concept than the likes of, say, Biffy Clyro, whose double album was just the same single album... twice

It was split into two albums for artistic reasons than any great need to. There's different themes lyrically between the two. There's some great songs that would have been left to rot as B-Sides perhaps and it just comes down to how the act wants to present it. Music is an art :P

It could also be that it allows the act to get a few interesting songs onto the album that the record company would have otherwise told them to piss off about :P (With Opposites, they did release a single disk to but it missed 6 songs, so we wouldn't have got Little Hospitals or The Thaw which are great tracks! Infact Little Hospitals is my favorite on the album!)

On topic :P With Arcade Fire, i think it's just them being a bit artistic as they are like that as a band. It's just how they want to present which is fine to me as long as it has more great songs :D

I presume people still think arcade fire will headline next year

Think it? No. That 'three biggest acts never to have played Glastonbury' thing works against Arcade Fire and even then, there's probably Elbow, Kasabian, maybe a couple more who'd get the nod ahead.

Hoping it? Yep. And I will be until it's ruled out.

I presume people still think arcade fire will headline next year

Unless Eavis has told 100% the truth I'll remain hopefull :P

Especially as the 3 Biggest acts in the world, could include Dolly, and she could very well not headline (Christ! if she does!)

Edited by LondonTom

Unless Eavis has told 100% the truth I'll remain hopefull :P

Especially as the 3 Biggest acts in the world, could include Dolly, and she could very well not headline (Christ! if she does!)

I'm more hopeful now dolly is an SR.

I think arcade fire are about the perfect headliner - well established but also very current and not over exposed at recent UK festivals - all of which is rare. That said, i am hugely biased!