Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

On 08/06/2017 at 11:46 AM, Tuna said:

Haven't listened to Reflektor in a couple of years and just did - don't think I've ever enjoyed it as much, actually. Absense makes the heart grow fonder, and that. Disc II is outrageous. Disc I though, lol

Just listened for the first time in over a year and this is definitely true. I mean, I've always been big on it (even the first side) but songs I thought I didn't rank too highly (eg. You Already Know) and songs I just don't really think about a lot (eg. It's Never Over) are popping off.

On 27/07/2017 at 9:20 PM, FloorFiller said:

Everything Now - 6.5/10

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

terrible

The irrational response the album has received in a nutshell. :lol:

Anyway, yeah it's definitely not that. I love Everything Now; been listening to it almost daily. Besides, the post I quoted was from June.

Maybe it is sort of influenced by the "disco Arcade Fire" being here to stay and not just a Dougie Jones. For whatever reason it seems easier to understand and appreciate when listening to it now. More monumental too; I can easily see Reflektor standing out among their oeuvre than Neon Bible and The Suburbs in decades to come.

I was listening to the new album last week and all of a sudden it clicked.  All of it!  The backing vocals on We Don't Deserve Love gave me the Arcade Fire feels, something rotten.

The thing is, you can only describe Arcade Fire records as weak in comparison to their other work.  Compared to most other music being released, it's all brilliant.  And I never doubted Reflektor.  I still listen to it more than any of their other albums.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
the -> me
  • Like 3

Really early days still but I can't recall ever being as obsessed with two songs back to back as I am with Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love. 

Reflektor and Neon Bible are the two albums I go back to most. Rarely The Suburbs or Funeral, although for very different reasons.

I still need to go back to this record, only gave it the two or three spins. The thing with Reflektor is, on first listen, it grabbed me and made me want to listen to it again, it made me want to find the value in those 70 odd minutes. This one hasn't, but has equally good tunes. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's all the other releases coming out which I just straight up prefer. That being said, I still haven't found an hour to listen to the new King Gizz, Grizzly Bear, Brand New...

I'm still not quite getting the hype about the Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love double. I do like both songs, the latter particularly, but for me the singles are still the clear album highlights.

To be honest Good God Damn is the only song on it I don't like, Peter Pan and the Infinite Contents have grown on me and I've started appreciating Chemistry as being a bit of a laugh even if that wasn't the intention. Overall it's still not quite as good as I was hoping for and at the moment I'd say it's their weakest but it's still a really good album.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm still not quite getting the hype about the Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love double. I do like both songs, the latter particularly, but for me the singles are still the clear album highlights.

To be honest Good God Damn is the only song on it I don't like, Peter Pan and the Infinite Contents have grown on me and I've started appreciating Chemistry as being a bit of a laugh even if that wasn't the intention. Overall it's still not quite as good as I was hoping for and at the moment I'd say it's their weakest but it's still a really good album.

I think it kind of was the intention. I'm not saying they've made a bad song and put it on the album for a laugh, but they appreciate that it's a bit of dumb fun that's easy to dance to.

Like on the Brooklyn launch show, they were all completely enjoying it and grinning at one another. It went down in history as the second time Regine and Win have made eye contact on stage after Crown of Love Reading 2010.

Well I love it and have always loved it! (OK maybe with the exception of Peter Pan which is growing on me).

It sounds amazing on vinyl by the way, first record I've bought in a while where there is a noticeable step up in quality on wax versus MP3. 

I've only listened to the album 1.5 times.  The lead single is Arcade Fire gold, but the rest of the album just can't live up to the greatness of that one song.  The double turds of Peter Pan / Chemistry completely destroy the album for me.  I do keep meaning to have another listen, but I just can't find the motivation to.

On 22/08/2017 at 11:12 AM, dentalplan said:

I think it kind of was the intention. I'm not saying they've made a bad song and put it on the album for a laugh, but they appreciate that it's a bit of dumb fun that's easy to dance to.

Like on the Brooklyn launch show, they were all completely enjoying it and grinning at one another. It went down in history as the second time Regine and Win have made eye contact on stage after Crown of Love Reading 2010.

Win said in an interview that played songs to random crowds in New Orleans while they were recording and that Chemistry was always the one that got everyone dancing the most and he seemed to love that.

On 22/08/2017 at 11:02 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually the thing that really 'clicked', in that it was a sudden appreciation, was "Infinite Content".  I suddenly found myself really digging the 2nd part, although I'd never dream of listening to it without Pt1.

It's the song I get stuck in my the most often and it's really grown on me. And I agree, don't get why but both parts have to be listened to as one song.

From The Guardian.

"For Chassagne, the record’s most personal song is Haiti, which refers to the loved ones she lost in the Jérémie Vespers massacre of 1964. Vocals were recorded in her bathroom, because she found the song too personal to sing in the studio. Fifty seconds in, you can hear her hitting the stop button on a tape recorder."

Obvs.

What is everyone's fave song? My mate and I pretty much instantly agreed on Tunnels the other day.

(Obvs.)

On 22/08/2017 at 8:32 PM, Mash011 said:

Chemistry is a good song and I have to dance every time I hear it. It's daft but so much fun. But I suppose it's very far from what most people want Arcade Fire to be.

I think this direction makes sense now as a career move. If they're going to make some more 'disposable' disco-orientated stuff, they need to do it now really. I reckon they'll make some more 'experimental' albums, then settle back into a more 'rock/indie'#-based sound as they get older. Makes perfect sense to me.

#Am aware I am generalising massively here, before anyone decides to point it out.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

From The Guardian.

"For Chassagne, the record’s most personal song is Haiti, which refers to the loved ones she lost in the Jérémie Vespers massacre of 1964. Vocals were recorded in her bathroom, because she found the song too personal to sing in the studio. Fifty seconds in, you can hear her hitting the stop button on a tape recorder."

Obvs.

What is everyone's fave song? My mate and I pretty much instantly agreed on Tunnels the other day.

(Obvs.)

(Just listened; didn't think it would be but the cassette thing is clearly audible - not that I have ever noticed it before.)