Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

23 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Standing tickets haven't even sold out for Glasgow. Radiohead sold least tickets for TRNSMT festival as well. Shows why they always book the same stuff for T. 

Still standing for Birmingham too but yeah, I thought Glasgow standing would have went quickly, especially since the section in The Hydro isn't that big. Tickets for the two Barrowlands gigs in 2013 and the Corn Exchange this year flew out and while smaller capacity you'd think that would mean it'd be the same for standing this time round. I guess if you spent £50 to see them last month you might not fancy spending £65 to see them do a similar set next year which is fair enough.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Still standing for Birmingham too but yeah, I thought Glasgow standing would have went quickly, especially since the section in The Hydro isn't that big. Tickets for the two Barrowlands gigs in 2013 and the Corn Exchange this year flew out and while smaller capacity you'd think that would mean it'd be the same for standing this time round. I guess if you spent £50 to see them last month you might not fancy spending £65 to see them do a similar set next year which is fair enough.

they sold out birmingham by half 9 on see at 9.02 on ticketmaster for them to go back on sale again xD 

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Absolutely. This albun has their best songs and their worst songs on it. And we'd already heard the best ones.

Perhaps but, when the singles came out, the general reception was anything but "these are their best songs" wasn't it? So who knows what time may bring. This could be the story* where Peter Pan does grow.

*aside from Hook

The depressing thing is so much of this album is just so...boring. Arcade Fire used to err on the side of being extravagant to the point sometimes of being faintly ridiculous, so it's sad to see so much of this just being dull. I know Pitchfork can be pretentious w*nkers sometimes but their review of this album is a good critique of whats wrong with this album. This bit especially:

But here in the claustrophobic space of Everything Now, the warts of Arcade Fire are impossible to miss. Map the vocal melody on “No Cars Go” or “Sprawl II” with your finger in the air and you’ll arc it up and down in peaks and valleys. Do the same thing with the turgid and thoughtless “Creature Comfort” or “Peter Pan” or “Signs of Life” and your finger will barely move. Butler’s commitment to the detached frontman where singing occurs barely or not at all robs songs of their emotional largesse, that basic thing we licensed to Arcade Fire and upon which their entire identity relies.

I wasn't even that big a fan of the singles which were released TBH. Mind you, the title track is ace, Electric Blue is very good as are Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love. Creature Comfort I'm not too keen on record but sounded pretty big live. So hopefully by the time the next album rolls around this is all we'll hear live and we can forget most of the rest ever happened. I get much more excited by an Arcade Fire tour than an Arcade Fire album these days anyway.

Clearly they're a band that reads their press (that Stereoyum article which parodied the Stereogum critique of them was proof of that), so I hope they rip everything up and go back to the drawing board for the next album. The reviews are pretty mediocre for this and by far their worst (69 on Metacritic) so I hope they take heed. A lot of the album seems to have taken the worst aspects of Reflektor and ran with it. 

Edited by arcade fireman

I love Creature Comfort. Lyrically I think it's great. The subject matter is not often spoke about in modern times by massive acts.

2nd listen and I think this album is actually a good un.... let down by a couple of dodgy tunes (Peter Pan and Good God Damn). Good God Damn is pretty annoying actually. No need to make something so boring.

Signs of Life doesn't get much love, but live it was excellent & I am now a big fan of it.

I read someone say they had "done a Kings of Leon"... not quite sure what bollocks they are talking.

To me, they have gone in a direction some people are not that pleased about, but it's still "Arcade Fire" if that makes sense. 

Put your money on me is great. I love that. The backing vocals are very ABBA.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

To me, they have gone in a direction some people are not that pleased about, but it's still "Arcade Fire" if that makes sense. 

I don't mind them going in this direction as such, when they get it right they get it really right. And I think even most critical reviews acknowledge there are a few songs where they have got it right. But they're not nearly good enough at it to make a consistently good record IMO. 

I know this is a bit of a reach, but does anyone have a spare standing ticket for the Thursday London gig? My girlfriend's friend managed to get 4 but there's 5 of us in the party. 

No worries if not, I'm not arsed enough to go and sit on my own but if there's a convenient spare that'd be lovely. 

Tia

My vinyl arrived today. Really surprised they put the two Infinite Contents on the same side. They don't work at all back to back!!! Using EN/IF as bookends on each are the only way that make sense to me. 

I would defend Good God Damn. Its not the most interesting track, but it's atmospheric and really sets up for the next two songs.  It's a decompression chamber of a filler after Electric Blue. 

Chemistry so badly needs a big brass band. I'd love to see AF write a whole album inspired by New Orleans. #TeamChemistry

Edited by fowls

10 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

I wasn't even that big a fan of the singles which were released TBH. Mind you, the title track is ace, Electric Blue is very good as are Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love. Creature Comfort I'm not too keen on record but sounded pretty big live. So hopefully by the time the next album rolls around this is all we'll hear live and we can forget most of the rest ever happened. I get much more excited by an Arcade Fire tour than an Arcade Fire album these days anyway.

Difficult to predict really but if this was the case then having five songs remain as part of the setlist for the following album tour would be pretty good going in comparison to previous.

10 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Clearly they're a band that reads their press (that Stereoyum article which parodied the Stereogum critique of them was proof of that), so I hope they rip everything up and go back to the drawing board for the next album. The reviews are pretty mediocre for this and by far their worst (69 on Metacritic) so I hope they take heed. 

More out of frustration than admiration of their opinion though, I think. Don't really know about anyone else in the band but even dating back to the pitchfork review of Funeral, Win has always been pretty dismissive of it all, and has often talked about albums he loves getting bad reviews, even when Arcade Fire were getting consistently very good or great.

7 hours ago, fowls said:

My vinyl arrived today. Really surprised they put the two Infinite Contents on the same side. They don't work at all back to back!!! Using EN/IF as bookends on each are the only way that make sense to me. 

Win says on Twitter that they are just one song to him.

23 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Dunno about support but I sincerely hope we get the fabled 2 hours because I want a lot of this added to the setlist- Chemistry, Electric Blue, PYMOM and WDDL for sure. Even Infinate Content would be fun. 

Yeah, I caved and bought a ticket btw

I wish I could myself but all my money is already spent

The songs they've been playing so far (the singles and Chemistry) will be part of the core setlist I'm sure. Been thinking about the others; Infinite Content cos that's the tour's name but I don't think they can do both b2b so just one or both but at different points. If it's an eight-track core then the two remaining should be WDDL and PYMOM, naturally, but I think Peter Pan will be a mainstay ahead of one of those. :lol:

Mocked up a setlist which seems feasible for the tour. A few interchangable old songs and I also couldn't decide where they would go in terms of the last 2 songs of EN (excl. the outro)

Everything Now,
Rebellion,
Chemistry,
Signs of Life,
Tunnels,
The Suburbs,
Good God Damn,
Ready to Start / We Used to Wait,
Haiti / Intervention / Laika,
No Cars Go,
Infinite Content (2 parts),
Electric Blue,