Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

I noticed no laddish behaviour at all I was front middle a 5 yards back from the railings and it was just ppl having fun. The emotional moments were great the dancey moments dancey the nanana moments blasted back at the band. It was excellent. 

The band clearly agreed. 

Also I judge the laddishness of the crowd by how many cups of beer or piss are thrown. I had it at 0 where I was.  

Amazing gig the smaller venue was perfect 

11 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

To be honest, and this is as someone who usually gets way more into support bands than most of the crowd, I found Beak> pretty dull. Maybe the wrong setting for them it all had very little impact for me.

It was the rudeness of people down the front slagging them of during their set which bothered me, rather than people not being into it. 

4 minutes ago, fowls said:

Nah, I've been to plenty of Manc gigs over the years, including the two Suburbs shows and this was the first time I've noticed 'laddishness'. If anything Manc crowds tend to be more static and calm than London crowds - getting a decent atmosphere is a rare thing. 

Yeah this is true, and when I said above that it was the worst atmosphere I'd experienced at an Arcade Fire gig, the 'laddishness' and occasional unpleasantness is what I meant. The crowd for their MEN show in 2011 was (from my position at least) the quietest and least energetic I've been in. 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Generally, perhaps controversially, but genuinely, I don't think support acts automatically mandate 'respect'. The ball's in their court to do with it what they will.  I've seen some great support acts in my time but I've also seen a tonne of absolute garbage and if I'm confronted with the former I'm gonna have a carry on with my mates and go to the bar rather than standing there and stroking my chin over The fucking Twang.

Yeah, it just depends where in the crowd you are. I remember asking someone to be quiet during Lorde  supporting Arcade Fire at Earl's Court since it was second row. If you're not be in the front I don't see why it matters whether you chat or not. 

Having said that, the support for Brand New a few years back was so boring I got out my Kindle and had a read (quiet, unobstrusive). A bunch of teens quite loudly shouted abuse at me for not listening to the band. They didn't get the irony.

Edited by fowls

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Generally, perhaps controversially, but genuinely, I don't think support acts automatically mandate 'respect'. The ball's in their court to do with it what they will.  I've seen some great support acts in my time but I've also seen a tonne of absolute garbage and if I'm confronted with the former I'm gonna have a carry on with my mates and go to the bar rather than standing there and stroking my chin over The fucking Twang.

I wish The Arcade Fire had respected the crowd by booking a decent support act.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

True, the indie rock fan in Manchester does tend to skew toward a different type of breed than elsewhere, as a by-product of a massive part of our local pride stemming from the fact that we produced 5 or 6 famous bands and there was a notorious nightclub here in the 1980s. There's good and bad that comes from that. In my experience, few other places have a sort of gig culture like Manchester does. On the whole I think it's a good thing; we're one of the best places in the entire world in terms of the quality and number of bands who pass through here all the time. There's an amazing wealth of niche artists who play in the city centre all the time, and so many of them get amazingly receptive crowds. There's a tendency to get a bit "Let's go fucking mental na na na na whey!" at the bigger indie gigs, but a bit of laddishness is the only thing we have to trade for being one of the best gig cities in the world, so I think we're still coming out on top.

Other than that, I'd sum up Manchester by saying the vegan food options are fucking great, there's a very good comic shop, and everything else is w*nk.

Hey!! We have a really great brewery scene (Marble, Track, Runaway, Black Jack, Cloudwater, Alphabet, Squawk, Beer Nouveau etc), quite a decent growing street food scene (maybe not as good as Leeds, but getting there). The comedy circuit is starting to improve. The restaurants are at least trying not to patronise (even if Mancs don't go anywhere unless there's red meat with fries on the side).

... It's getting better. The last 5 years has made a world of difference.

Edited by fowls

First time I've been to Manchester and I got confused by the bridges and felt uncomfortable because I had to walk past some geese. Overall it was ok. Apart from the guy that yanked me by the bag because I stood in front of his girlfriend. That guy can piss off.

28 minutes ago, fowls said:

Hey!! We have a really great brewery scene (Marble, Track, Runaway, Black Jack, Cloudwater, Alphabet, Squawk, Beer Nouveau etc), quite a decent growing street food scene (maybe not as good as Leeds, but getting there). The comedy circuit is starting to improve. The restaurants are at least trying not to patronise (even if Mancs don't go anywhere unless there's red meat with fries on the side).

... It's getting better. The last 5 years has made a world of difference.

And Port Street Beer House!

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

So is Neon Bible a lit closer then? I see they've kept it for Luxembourg tonight. Seems an odd choice.

Yeah I'm not really sure what the logic is with coming back on for that one after Wake Up. The love will tear us apart snippet was a cute touch at least. 

40 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

So is Neon Bible a lit closer then? I see they've kept it for Luxembourg tonight. Seems an odd choice.

Yeah, it feels like an encore opener, like it needs to feed into another track.  The intro works really well from silence, but the outro is a bit anticlimactic. It was odd as a closer in Manchester, especially as Win had said they would play until they were chucked off the stage only ~12 minutes previous.  

(Which they technically did, but such a big proclamation suggests that they would play more than just 1 additional song.)

Edited by fowls
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah I'm not really sure what the logic is with coming back on for that one after Wake Up. The love will tear us apart snippet was a cute touch at least. 

17 hours ago, fowls said:

Yeah, it feels like an encore opener, like it needs to feed into another track.  The intro works really well from silence, but the outro is a bit anticlimactic. It was odd as a closer in Manchester, especially as Win had said they would play until they were chucked off the stage only ~12 minutes previous.  

(Which they technically did, but such a big proclamation suggests that they would play more than just 1 additional song.)

Yeah it seems something that could be really great if they had a [quiet] singalong but from my experience with it it's just a bit of a lull.  Just doesn't seem that well loved a song and I can't argue with that as its my least fav off that album. Maybe they just really wanna play it but can't find anywhere else to stick it. :lol: I guess that the next time they're over here the setlist will have transformed a few times so no real worry of them closing their bombastic two hour arena assault with it.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah it seems something that could be really great if they had a [quiet] singalong but from my experience with it it's just a bit of a lull.  Just doesn't seem that well loved a song and I can't argue with that as its my least fav off that album. Maybe they just really wanna play it but can't find anywhere else to stick it. :lol: I guess that the next time they're over here the setlist will have transformed a few times so no real worry of them closing their bombastic two hour arena assault with it.

Win said at Scūnthorpe before playing Black Mirror/Neon Bible - "when we wrote this it was a work of science fiction" (or something to that effect). So it might have made a resurgence as a comment on Trump. Still doesn't explain why it's so often the closer though.

Edited by fowls

Just popping in to say I loved the Manchester gig. Never been to a gig in Manchester before, but loved the venue. Especially loved imagining the view the folks on the passing trains must have gone from up above.

Crowd was mostly good, occasional end of pints being thrown forward was the only negative. More people than expected up for a sing song and boogie rather than the 'stand still statue stroking chin really trying to appreciate the art' types (no offence if that's your thing). Didn't experience much pushing past either.

Sound did strike me as quiet, especially the first few songs. Think my ears had to adjust from how loud the supporting band seemed to be to AF.

IMG_20170706_221019010.thumb.jpg.0d048016dcbdeb8be44f0bcd368b2a3f.jpg

24 minutes ago, alien said:

Didn't experience much pushing past either.

Wish I was standing by you. It's all I had all night. Partly I think due to the toilets only being on one side. For the whole set had a continuous stream of people pushing back and forth. People on their own. People in groups of 7+. People with great big fuck off bags. I don't mind people having to go past but this was laughable how often it was.

As soon as we moved back more people would push through. No matter where we moved to there'd be a pathway forming. Really took me out of the moment. The crowd other than that was good though. Fun group by me getting everyone involved.

I was to the right of the stage and people were constantly trying to move through the crowd. Everyone around me was up for the gig though, felt like one big party.

Ordered the album today, went for the 'night' version. Supposed to get a presale for their next UK tour as well.

Almost fucked the Castlefield gig up by convincing myself they were on at the IGT (Internation gig time) of 9pm. Got there for half 8 and the queue was massive so missed most of 'Everything Now' by getting in and having a drink. Had trouble getting a decent spot near the stairs at the top due to some over zealous stewarding. Ended up right in the back with the trees which was actually an alright view. Decent concert with an up for it crowd, loved the 'temptation' reference in what I think was 'Afterlife' 

1 hour ago, John_P said:

I was to the right of the stage and people were constantly trying to move through the crowd. Everyone around me was up for the gig though, felt like one big party.

Ordered the album today, went for the 'night' version. Supposed to get a presale for their next UK tour as well.

Presale for a tour?

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Almost fucked the Castlefield gig up by convincing myself they were on at the IGT (Internation gig time) of 9pm. Got there for half 8 and the queue was massive so missed most of 'Everything Now' by getting in and having a drink. Had trouble getting a decent spot near the stairs at the top due to some over zealous stewarding. Ended up right in the back with the trees which was actually an alright view. Decent concert with an up for it crowd, loved the 'temptation' reference in what I think was 'Afterlife' 

Did exactly the same, got in around 3 minutes into Everything Now.

Gigs started before 9 should be banned if youre not playing until the curfew. I was told the curfew was 10.30 or 11pm depending on who I asked. Either way they finished at 10.15 so could have came on at least 15 minutes later and then the people in that massive queue wouldn't have missed as much as they did.

Same with Radiohead on Tuesday